Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continually Disconnecting...

Options
  • 25-07-2007 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I have a temperamental laptop which is having to do for now until I can afford a new PC. I'm on UTVIP dial up and for the past week or so I have been continually disconnected after only about 2 minutes online. A lot of the time when I try to reconnect I get the message 'No answer from dial up server' so I try again and it connects but only for a couple of minutes.

The laptop doesn't like the UTVip dial up program either, makes it crash, gets corrupted a lot and I've had to reinstall it umpteen times. I also get messages after I've connected with '10061 - Connection is forcefully rejected' and '10060 - the attempt to connect timed out'.

I try to keep the laptop updated, spyware free, virus free etc so I can't understand why the continual disconnecting. It does tend to overheat so I have it up off the desk so the air can circulate around it. Any suggestions as it's driving me mad! After about 10pm it stays connected for a bit longer so is it the line/weather/overheating? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have you tried a different provider to see if the problem is your end or UTV's?

AFAIK most dial-up is now pay per use so you should be able to find settings for one of the other providers (eircom, bt, etc) with a quick search on google.

Also check if you have the box "Hang-up after Sending & Receiving" unchecked in Outlook Express (if you use it) Tools - Options - Connection

In the Properties of your Dial-up connection there is an option to set the time
    after the connection will be dropped if Idle, check the value here too.

Advertisement