Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy Statement + Terms&Conditions

Options
  • 25-07-2007 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Folks,

I'm working on a new website and was wondering where I'd get standard privacy and terms & conditions statements. I've gone browsing for an Irish site which might provide these or have guidelines but no joy at all.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Please, don't go looking for "standards" to cut and paste verbatim.

Figure out for yourself, possibly with the help of someone in the know, what would be best for the users of your site and work from there. If you find something that fits, use that, but always check what you are signing yourself up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I never fully understood when your legally required to have Privact Statements and T&C's....

I presume you need a privacy statement only if your actually storing info on your users? T&C's only if your offering a service of some sort?

Would that be right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

Terms & Conditions are your legal backup if anything goes wrong. Let's say your hosting images for someone, and you lose all their information. That someone has a strong case against you, unless you have created a Terms & Conditions, stating...

"YourImageHost Ltd. will not be liable for any information, which a client has stored on our server, that may be lost or deleted"

...If you have a Terms & Conditions, and you forced them to agree to this, they have no case against you. In Ireland, as far as I know, it is not a legal requirement, but is instead common sense. (I cannot verify what I have just said, because I'm not familiar with this area of expertise), however as far as I know, you are legally required to have a Privacy Policy if you wish to distort the clients' privacy in anyway, for example, sending them advertisements by email/mail, or passing their information onto third parties.

I agree with Aidan, that copy and paste won't work, and your T&C will have major holes, and patches. Make a plan, and do it yourself, based on a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IIA make available a number of samples that are compliant with Irish legislation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nikimere wrote:
    I never fully understood when your legally required to have Privact Statements and T&C's....

I presume you need a privacy statement only if your actually storing info on your users? T&C's only if your offering a service of some sort?

Would that be right? :confused:
    Pretty much. The T&Cs are your escape route if something goes wrong. It has to be legally watertight or else its not worth the effort of typing it out!
    A privacy policy is a mandatory requirement for your users benefit.
    Read through these:
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/responsibilities/3k.htm&CatID=55&m=y
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/PrivStatements/290.htm

Advertisement