Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow

• 25-07-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Posted originally on the travel forum, but no responses.........

Headin at the weekend, any recommendations on clubs, daytime activities etc?

Club wise, interested in places that play decent tunes and , of course, fine wee Scottish lassies who get wetter than an otters pocket at the sound of an Irish accent :):D (i.e. I want to end up somewhere that is more likely to end the night with some Prodigy or Underworld than some cheesy studenty dive ending on Ive Had the Time of My Life or some undanceable other 80s ****). To give a comparison normal places Id hit in Dublin are Zanzibar, Heaven, Vaults, 21s, Tripod, Club M, occasionally Spirit, into hip hop and dance, particularly places that like to play a good few bangers from the early to mid 90s. Places in Dublin I would try to avoid are Redz, Tramco and Coppers. You get my drift I was recommended some spot called Bonkers, anyone familiar? Generally what are the drink prices like?

*edit* I know this is the dance forum, tbh this weekend its more about more mainstream, well known classic dance rather than anything special, its a pure beer voddys and birds weekend, not headin to any pure house/trance nights and doin yips or anythin this weekend ;) Just general lager lager lager madness, and, ah **** it, i suppose some mega mega white things if we come across them :D )*edit*

Nah but seriously, just wherever plays reasonable dance, particularly 90s classics, and nice birds :)

And on that topic, where to avoid. Basically Im obviously thinking of steering clear of hardcore Rangers fans Glaswegian equivalents of The Towers in the mun or the Finglas Jolly Toper

Are the bouncers fairly cool?

As for the daytime, suggestions needed for a good Irish bar in which to hole ourselves up in the day and evening. Good atmosphere, bit of craic, sound people Irish drinking music, yknow something like a New York immigrant bar in the 80s.

Also, heres a hypothetical question (I hope ): if I lose my passport while there, eh, what exactly are my options with Ryanair seeing as Ive no other ID? Do they accept good quality photocopies of the passport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Supose the Savoy or Destiny is your best bet although that's like any ordinary club here, plays the occasional old skool anthem "mixed" with some cheesy pop tunes and the obligatory electro house tune like put your hands up Detroit or some other commercial type of songs, cheap gargle and pussy though.

However if you have a change of heart, i can recommend http://www.tunnelglasgow.co.uk/ room 2 being the obvious choice on Saturdays, great little club, first went there in the mid 1990's.

http://www.thearches.co.uk/clubs.html looks particularly good this Friday 27th, Saturday wouldn't be my cup of tea too much hard house, but id recommend you go there on Friday and the Tunnel on Saturdays, you should get sorted out as well if you know what i mean ;) and with the auld Irish accent you should score some sexy Glasgow vixen, have fun.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Also, heres a hypothetical question (I hope ): if I lose my passport while there, eh, what exactly are my options with Ryanair seeing as Ive no other ID? Do they accept good quality photocopies of the passport?

your fuc*ed unless you have a driving licence.
    Are the bouncers fairly cool?

Yeah they are, better than the muppets here anyway

As for the daytime, suggestions needed for a good Irish bar in which to hole ourselves up in the day and evening. Good atmosphere, bit of craic, sound people Irish drinking music, yknow something like a New York immigrant bar in the 80s.

Anywere down the Gallowgate is all Celtic/Irish bars, im a Celtic fan so anytime in over i always head for the Gallowgate, also recommended is the Brazen Head in the Gorbals, a right dump of an area but a deadly bar with rebel music on selected nites, also Failte in the city centre St Vincent St around thre corner from Central Station.

Glasgow is deadly ive been there over 100 times,loads to see and do.

Up The Celts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote:
    You don't need a passport to travel within the UK if you're Irish. Official I.D. like like a Driver's Licence will suffice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

AH MAH ****HIN GAAD!!! GLASGAE IS ****HIN BRYLLANT :D
    jonny68 wrote:
    and with the auld Irish accent you should score some sexy Glasgow vixen, have fun.

If you want to feel like some sort of cross between god and Hugh Hefner, holy christ man, I have honestly never seen anything like it. You dont need to chat them up, you dont even need to dance up to them on the floor. You speak. With your charming Irish gift of the gab. You either conversate loudly with your mates while in earshot of a few birds, or, even more entertaining, you say whats the story to one at the bar, she screams "ah mah gaad, are ye Irish!??!?" and calls her 6 mates over, and its about a minute between the meet and greet with the six of them with the dirty aul town twang and getting busy with mauling your favourite up against the nearest wall :eek: :eek: :D:D I wouldnt believe it if i was told tbh, it has to be seen to be believed :p Its just so different to Dublin, went to a club called Archaos, not a cheese tune to be heard (the only thing reminding you of the Dub typical club tunes like Shakira and Rihanna was the fact a sizeable number of the clientele were of the same face and body standard :D ) As for the dress, they made most birds in Dublin clubs look like theyre dressed like the wife of a Taliban commander in terms of skin All locked or ekkeyed (a gas local saying there :D ), more than half naked and crazy for a couple of slainte mo cairde Irish hoodlums as they say in Goodfellas and The Departed :D Honestly, I can count on the fingers the amt of invited parties we have ended up in with a group of complete strangers after a Dublin club, we scored one in some flat in south Glasgow on our first night, un b ****ing lieveable.
    jonny68 wrote:
    Anywere down the Gallowgate is all Celtic/Irish bars, im a Celtic fan so anytime in over i always head for the Gallowgate, also recommended is the Brazen Head in the Gorbals, a right dump of an area but a deadly bar with rebel music on selected nites, also Failte in the city centre St Vincent St around thre corner from Central Station.

Unfortunately i was gone by the time you posted both messages and didnt see this. Daytime we mostly holed up in the bar across the road, just playin pool and drinking beer as cheap as chips. Pre club on Saturday, headed to what a tourist pamphlet described as an Irish bar, Waxy O`Connors. The only Irish thing about it was like a souless Temple Bar superpub, played crap non Irish chart music, and that the bouncers were rude stare ya down type tossers (they let us in mind, but it wasnt exactly cead mile failte my Irish brethern). Unfortunately we ony discovered Failte on Vincent St on the Sunday morning :( Stayed til about 4pm, judging by the music being played (Pogues, Dubliners, Wolfe Tones, U2, Thin Lizzy, and our second national anthem, by which of course i am referring to Jump Around by House of Pain :D ) just all classic Irish beer tunes, its a crying shame we didnt find it Friday/Saturday night :(

Anyway, weekend surpassed by expectations. Cracking music, insane birds and cheap prices (a summary- in euro equivalent this weekend among the purchases was a quarter pounder for 2.40, a grand hotel room for a total among us of 180 euro for two nights, and beer for around the 3.50 mark, in the clubs Grolsch 5% for £2.20, unreal) . People talk up the violence and sectarianism, we got about 3 hostile responses. All older people mind, after they heard our accents (one woman pretty much blanked us when we asked hotel directions in the south inner city, in spite of the fact she looked local and was waiting at a bus stop south city bound she claimed she hadnt a clue. Some other lads outside the hotel passed a quiet one as we passed about where we had the semtex, and on our way back from town were still there, some ofther ****ebag remark, I only heard the word "taoiseach") But in the clubs etc friendly as you like, was havin a laugh with bang on people both Celtic and Rangers, nobody gave a ****. Place is a bit more watch your back than Dublin, but tbh id be waryer drinking down certain country towns than there. In conclusion to this mile long waffle (sure its something to do while ya download :D ) I cant recommend the city enough, if you, like me before I went, had the impression that its probably just a Dublin of the north your way off the mark. Its cheap, its friendly, the music is off the richter scale and the birds are mental :)

So I begrudgingly and relecutantly give Glasgow a minor recommendation (begrudgingly and reluctanyly me hole, its heaven on earth, get your Irish brogue speaking bollix over there immeadiately, its the celtic blooded brothers version of ****ing Valhalla :D )

Advertisement