Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has the Liverpool Discussion thread been locked ?

• 25-07-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

Ok so i don't post alot in this forum but i did really enjoy this thread. It was the first thing i would visit on boards to find out all the ongoing developments at Liverpool.

I found it was one of the most unique things on the net in so far as i got all my Liverpool stuff all fired together in one thread with some good debate and also some clever and funny ramblings at times.

Now i find to my dismay when i logged on today that its been reverted to having threads knitted throughout an already overcrowded forum.

Can someone fill me in on what happened did people vote to revert to having separated threads for topic's. I thought the general idea was the thread was to discuss most of the day to day happenings and if people wanted to discuss something in more depth they could create a new thread on that topic in the main forum. I thought this worked really well.

Apologies if this has been discussed already and the majority of people felt it was better to have individual threads on each topic.

Opr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's actually been quite refreshing having more than 3 new threads a day :) (or worse, bumping of gigantic threads).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

You can vote for your preference here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125684

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

"No talk, no posts no reasons, no responses just choose the option that appeals to you above."

lol i love this line.

We will just blindly make a choice and then discuss it. Does no one else think this is kind of a bit mad ?

Opr

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

plenty of people are of the same opinion as you, but no-one was asked what they thought. What started it off was the request for a liverpool subforum over on the 'forums' forum. Which you will note wasn't put in as a poll option in the above 'vote' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Copa, you seem to be having some kind of mental block lad. There is a poll posted, as far as I can tell that is asking people what they think.

The discussion will follow dependent upon the results of the poll, why have a discussion about it if people do not want Superthreads in the first place ?

And as for the forum question, that is a discussion for a different place. There is a forums forum for a reason and that is where that is being discussed. Believe it or not the soccer forum will go on with or without a liverpool sub-forum and so the superthread discussion is being held here regardless of the result of the forum request.

Anything else copa ?? Can I rll my eyes at you for a bit too ??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There is a poll posted, as far as I can tell that is asking people what they think.

There isn't, there is a poll posted where you have decided what the options are and have specifically told people not to post 'what they think', unless it is one of the options you decided they should think. Without any discussion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The wording in the poll is fairly misleading too.

Does 'Yes, I am happy to trawl through meandering conversations/random whispers to find out what I want' mean a super thread or separate threads? It doesn't differentiate between trawling through a forum and trawling through a specific forum topic.

And does this - 'No, I want a forum full of Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal/Insert Team Name Here threads.' actually mean sub forums under the soccer forum or does it mean super threads?

I voted incorrectly.... I think :confused:

A bit of clarity wouldn't go a miss like. Or maybe if the poll was worded something like...

Superthreads?
    - Yes
    - No
    - Other (voice your opinion)

It is meant solely as a way to gauge what people think of superthreads, if the forum, thats everyone, not just you because you shout the loudest, decides that superthreads are a good idea then we can have a discussion, until then the discussion can be wait.

Anything else copa ?

Come on I am sure you have plenty more rantage in you...

Superthreads yes or no.

Then there is a yes option, with text and a no option with text. Not too hard to understand really is it ? Basically what you said but with extra words at the end of the yes no bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

They are the options directly related to the soccer forum moderation.

If there is a subforum (which is something you seem to be indicating should have been added to the poll) it is not within our remit to offer the choice to users. Thats between the admins to decide, although, no doubt, they'll discuss it with us first.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

on the other hand the top six threads are all liverpool related now . . . amazing

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    They are the options directly related to the soccer forum moderation.

If there is a subforum (which is something you seem to be indicating should have been added to the poll) it is not within our remit to offer the choice to users. Thats between the admins to decide, although, no doubt, they'll discuss it with us first.

Why not let the soccer forum users give their opinion on the use of subforums for teams? Wouldn't this have been useful information to have during any discussions with the admins?

copacetic wrote:
    Why not let the soccer forum users give their opinion on the use of subforums for teams? Wouldn't this have been useful information to have during any discussions with the admins?

They have before and they will again, but you're missing the point.

At the end of the day, we, the soccer mods, don't make the final call on the sub forum. We're asked, we recommend, I'm hopeful our opinions are given great weight, but it's not in our power to grant or deny it. That is for the admins.

As such, it would be inappropriate for us to offer the option in a poll. We can offer options that we can grant. We can grant superthreads or not, we can grant input into how such a thread would be moderated. So we offer you those options.

There is a place for you to put forward opinion and "cast your vote" on an LFC forum and it seems you already know where that is, so what exactly you want us to do, bar make empty offers or blindly support you and ignore our own own opinons, is beyond me.

psi wrote:
    They have before and they will again, but you're missing the point.

At the end of the day, we, the soccer mods, don't make the final call on the sub forum. We're asked, we recommend, I'm hopeful our opinions are given great weight, but it's not in our power to grant or deny it. That is for the admins.

As such, it would be inappropriate for us to offer the option in a poll. We can offer options that we can grant. We can grant superthreads or not, we can grant input into how such a thread would be moderated. So we offer you those options.

There is a place for you to put forward opinion and "cast your vote" on an LFC forum and it seems you already know where that is, so what exactly you want us to do, bar make empty offers or blindly support you and ignore our own own opinons, is beyond me.

Well for a start how about waiting until you have the results of the poll before locking the liverpool 'superthread'? Why the lock first ask questions later policy?

Why aren't the other 'superthreads' locked too?

I'm not asking anyone to support my opinions, I'm asking why the soccer mods can't act with a bit of fairness.

mayordenis wrote:
    on the other hand the top six threads are all liverpool related now . . . amazing
    Well there was that pm that went around that I am sure most will deny mayor. maybe that has something to do with it..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I've probably posted in all six threads at one time or another today.. and I got no PM. I feel left out now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well there was that pm that went around that I am sure most will deny mayor. maybe that has something to do with it.

Ha! Jesus, we just can't win, can we? If there are no threads, then it's point proven, there's no need for a Liverpool forum. If there are loads of threads, then we're obviously organising a secret co-ordinated spamming.

Cop on.

copacetic wrote:
    Well for a start how about waiting until you have the results of the poll before locking the liverpool 'superthread'? Why the lock first ask questions later policy?

Why aren't the other 'superthreads' locked too?

I'm not asking anyone to support my opinions, I'm asking why the soccer mods can't act with a bit of fairness.

The other threads aren't as busy and the size of the liverpool one make sit hard to follow, aside from which it went down at least twice due to server issues.

What difference does it make if there is one thread or several threads so long as you get to discuss your issues, the moderation will be the same.

Much the same as, what difference if your discussion takes place in the soccer forum or a subforum of soccer, as again, the moderation will be the same.

That would appear to be the case nekkid.

I have no issue with loads of threads, is not blocking up the forum and people can pick and choose what they want to post in. I find it alot tidier than superthreads but I like the superthread and if the forum decides it would continue t post in it as I have in the past.

psi wrote:
    The other threads aren't as busy and the size of the liverpool one make sit hard to follow, aside from which it went down at least twice due to server issues.

What difference does it make if there is one thread or several threads so long as you get to discuss your issues, the moderation will be the same.

Much the same as, what difference if your discussion takes place in the soccer forum or a subforum of soccer, as again, the moderation will be the same.

Well speaking personally, when the old thread was up and active it was much easier to keep up to speed with what was going on. I'd have the thread open in a single browser tab, and every few minutes just click on refresh. I'd get emails telling me that that single thread had got new messages as well, which is cool, because generally I wouldn't bother with other threads.

Today though, I have to keep the main forum thread open in one browser tab, and all the other threads open in their own seperate tab, and click refresh on them all, and I've got more emails about updated messages than I'd get in a week normally.

I've seen that opinion expressed by a few people as well. Superthreads just made things easier.

Now maybe having a thread the size of the old superthread gave performance issues, in which case fine just lock the thread at the end of a season and restart it again, but don't block superthreads please.

Guess I know which way your vote is going then ;)

• Advertisement

Voted early (within the first 8). Pity I couldn't vote often. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

seriously . . . if there is a conspiracy going on and i'm not included i'll be well pissed off!

i hope Tauren and PHB got a pm if they are being sent considering they posted in the Liverpool thread as much as the rest of us! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I think forums on boards for the bigger teams is a good idea, rather than have all discussion on a single thread, it makes finding something that was posted a week previous tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why hav'nt I been included in this conspiracy?

Gimme the ball - I'm going home.

Mike.

a round of applause for mike for starting the super thread in the first place!(and also being the most sensible contributor!)

:):):):) job well done mike!:) :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PMs? Well, I'm disappointed I got none :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mike65 wrote:
    Why hav'nt I been included in this conspiracy?

Gimme the ball - I'm going home.

Mike.
    it's cause ur too bloody old !

under 50's only, old timer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Superthread idea is great. Look at the Man U one, it's for this coming season only, then there'll be a new one. As there was a separate one for last season.

It's tidier to have the single thread, and makes it easier for people to keep track of the club news. It has irritated the hell out of me today tbh, all the single issue Liverpool threads (not because I'm a eL fan btw, or anti-Liverpool, that amount of threads relating to any single club would annoy me).

What happens to the eL Superthread?

The Superthread allows for a certain amount of (oooh here comes that word) banter.

However, if these lengthy threads are causing performance issues as regards boards as a whole, then they need to be culled.

Pros
    • One single thread for all that club's news.
    • No need for numerour 'update' emails.
    • People won't just post to subscribe to each single thread, so they get updates when there's another post.
    • This is a bit abstract, but the Superthreads are like a narrative that is easy, imo, to follow. Less disjointed.
    • I'd imagine it's easier to moderate a single thread than have to keep an eye on several? Maybe not, I'm not the soccer mod afterall
    • 'Cleaner' look to the soccer forum. Rather than six threads dealing with all the Liverpool issues of the day, we get one thread where each can be discussed and compared etc
    • Someone might not see a thread about a certain topic relating to said club, then start a new one. This adds to the mod work with extra locking/merging etc. Also leads to even more reported posts. I myself reported a post relating to a recent Man U player injury that had a separate thread. Mod locked it.

Cons
    • Performance issues?
    • Huge thread size may be off putting for newer posters.
    Tbh, I can't see any more, would anyone care to point them out :)

As far as a Subforum goes, well I read the Liverpool thread, I know I'd be less likely to click into a Liverpool subforum however. I reckon others may feel the same.

It may become a bit cliquey too, which I feel is the very antithesis of a community based forum such as Boards.ie.

I feel the soccer forum has been running brilliantly since the re-opening, it's the only soccer forum I use online, I'd hate to see it 'Liverpool-less'.

Sorry for the length of that.

Apologies too if I'm speaking out of turn, I know I had posts deleted earlier, but this thread has both mod and user input.

All of the above, is of course, MHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

seansouth wrote:
    It may become a bit cliquey too, which I feel is the very antithesis of a community based forum such as Boards.ie.
    That would be the main reason why im against a sub-forum.

Can't see how the superthreads (heh, is that new word someone just came up with?) put a strain on the servers :/ Has this been confirmed by the admins?

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Can't see how the superthreads (heh, is that new word someone just came up with?) put a strain on the servers :/ Has this been confirmed by the admins?

They don't, that was confirmed a while back, the only issue is that if there is a server failure for a different reason, they take longer to get back from the backup. They don't cause any performance issue in themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Something has to be done soon, there are around 6 or seven different threads about Liverpool on here, including one about Rafas beard.....

Something has to be done soon, there are around 6 or seven different threads about Liverpool on here, including one about Rafas beard.....
    where else would you post about Rafa's beard ?

As the big thread is locked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

zabbo wrote:
    where else would you post about Rafa's beard ?

As the big thread is locked...

Fashion and Appearance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Fashion and Appearance :)

:D

SofaKing wrote:

Nah, it doesn't affect performance.

The same amount of database queries are made from a thread with 1,000,000 posts as there is from one with 20 posts because only 20 posts can be shown at any given time.

• Advertisement

40 posts a time, for those of us who like to see more :)

The same amount of database queries are made from a thread with 1,000,000 posts as there is from one with 20 posts because only 20 posts can be shown at any given time.

I've mine set to 40 posts per page so I've less page changing to do...

Bringing down the interwebs one site at a time:D

I print out the thread every morning and read it while taking a big dump in the john. Boy do I go through a lot of paper...

Didn't know we could change the post view count, cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

people look at the stickys now?!?! never even noticed to be honest. One of the closest polls ive seen with so many people voting,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ya, what happens if th polls stays the same? i.e pretty much 50-50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nothing really. The poll isn't the final say, the admins makes the final say. They'll just take the poll into consideration.

Personally I think a Liverpool sub-forum would be stupid. It'd probably be one of the smallest liverpool forums on the internet. There are plenty, plenty, of liverpool forums, united forums, arsenal forums, every team has plenty of forums. What boards did was bring all the fans together into one forum, which is nice.
    I don't see why people wouldn't join a Liverpool forum and then post here if they want. I post in a United only forum, but also post here. Both offer different but good experiences.

PHB wrote:
    Personally I think a Liverpool sub-forum would be stupid. It'd probably be one of the smallest liverpool forums on the internet. There are plenty, plenty, of liverpool forums, united forums, arsenal forums, every team has plenty of forums. What boards did was bring all the fans together into one forum, which is nice.

True. There's even irishkop.com if a Liverpool fan wanted a purely Irish forum perspective. Probably only gets Liverpool fans there as well I'd imagine so less trolling, accusations of trolling, resentment at being accused of trolling etc etc

its pretty close alright, have to admit, i think that the super threads are a good idea, different to most things you find on the net. i know some people find them a bit unwelcoming, but i honestly feel that they aren't and people should just get over their insecurities and jump right in! :)

The subforum i dont think is a good idea because one of the things about this site i like is the banter between rival fans. i think that both this soccer thread and the liverpool only sub section would suffer as a result of its introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,404 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Haven't voted but I think a Liverpool only thread is enough. There are lots of Pool sites I go to for detailed Pool chat. I think a good thread is enough on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well there was that pm that went around that I am sure most will deny mayor. maybe that has something to do with it..;)

man if this is real and i got nothin, i am so pissed right now!

*ramble*nearly 400 posts contributed, why i oughta..*/ramble*

But seriously i did love that big thread. Was away for 6 days, came back and in half an hour of one thread i had totally caught up with everything going on in the liverpool world. for biased non argumentative seperate posts i just go to thisisanfield. The "superthread" as it now seems to be called was/is something special, quick easy and if your a regular enough boarsie here great craic for the odd bit of banter. Few threads can generate a new post every few seconds on a regular basis for too-and-fro's like those which happen with some of the opposition fans. Unlike some of late, i massively appreciate the input of non pool fans, it keeps things realistic, grounded and interesting. (except for the odd ridiculous spells which happen on every thread anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ya where was my pm... :(

have to say agree with Rollo about the poll being misleading but it doesnt seem we can do much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just to throw in my 2c. I don't post regularly on the Liverpool super thread but I do read it a lot. All the latest Liverpool news and gossip in one thread was perfect. Now, everything is scattered in different threads. It's annoying.
    I'd be against a sub forum too. I agree that there are other sites out there with more Liverpool fans if you want that sort of thing. Here, I just want the big thread back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

PHB wrote:
    Nothing really. The poll isn't the final say, the admins makes the final say. They'll just take the poll into consideration.

I don't see why people wouldn't join a Liverpool forum and then post here if they want. I post in a United only forum, but also post here. Both offer different but good experiences.

If there were a Liverpool forum, it wouldn't mean that other fans would be unable to post in it, it would just mean that it would be easy to discuss different things without them getting lost because 12 diff topics are on every page, and hundreds in one thread.
    wrote:
    Just to throw in my 2c. I don't post regularly on the Liverpool super thread but I do read it a lot. All the latest Liverpool news and gossip in one thread was perfect. Now, everything is scattered in different threads. It's annoying.
    I'd be against a sub forum too. I agree that there are other sites out there with more Liverpool fans if you want that sort of thing. Here, I just want the big thread back.

I don't understand that though, why not just have one thread in After hours? Or one thread in Television? etc etc
    Ok so there are more television shows than there are Liverpool topics, but imo, there are too many topics going on in the superthreads and because of this, they get lost and abandoned and given up on by people
    who would like to discuss them.

I think we should get rid of all the boards forum and just have one big boards megathread. :D:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cos maybe a lot of people here like to have all things Liverpool in one easily accessible place. But yes, I can see the other side of the coin. There are people here who would like to have proper threads to discuss things in depth with their fellow boardsies. I wouldn't really be against a sub-forum but I like reading the views of fans of teams (PHB is a big contributor to the Liverpool thread) and a sub-forum could alienate that a bit. That'd be my main worry for a Liverpool sub-forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think the overall problem is that (association) football is too big a subject to keep within one page of threads/topics. Even in the summer months there is always something going on. Other forums (fora - for those that are sticklers on grammar) I have seen have sub-divided football into specific areass, such as Irish Clubs, Scottish Clubs, English Clubs, European Clubs, Internationals, etc. Sub-forums can even be further divided into clubs, etc.

The 'superthread' was one way of doing such a division. However, it has disadvantages, as in how it can handle specific subjects/issues/topics. And when an issue is 'significant'/popular, the 'superthread' is not the right place for it.

I didnt realise there was a problem with the previous system but I have no problem moving to a new system and perhaps a fragmentation of football into sub-forums is the way to go.

redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement