Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has the Liverpool Discussion thread been locked ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A subdivision perhaps of:

English league
    EL
    Euro+ world leagues
    Internationals

would probably be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

redspider wrote:
    The 'superthread' was one way of doing such a division. However, it has disadvantages, as in how it can handle specific subjects/issues/topics. And when an issue is 'significant'/popular, the 'superthread' is not the right place for it.

Why not have both? A general thread for club gossip, Rafa's beard, what SAF had for breakfast, reserve team news etc, but do away with the "why isn't this in the general thread" responses whenever someone posts a separate thread to discuss the likes of Tevez to ManYoo/Torres to Pool.

I mean, there are topics that are of sufficient interest to support their own threads, they don't need to lumped in to one giant thread simply because they're about a specific club.

I find it funny that one of the reasons advanced for a separate forum for Pool fans is that the superthread was too unwieldy to follow, but now it's been closed there's a flood of posts wanting it back because it was easier to follow...

I do think the poll options need tweaking though, not exactly conducive to reasoned debate.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I find it funny that one of the reasons advanced for a separate forum for Pool fans is that the superthread was too unwieldy to follow, but now it's been closed there's a flood of posts wanting it back because it was easier to follow...

I do think the poll options need tweaking though, not exactly conducive to reasoned debate.

It's not funny really, it was one of the reasons advanced for wanting a subforum. The subforum hasn't happened so you would think the staus quo would be maintained. There was never any discussion along the lines of get rid of the superthread, it was discussion on why a subforum might be better than a superthread. Not having either seems like a shortsighted move imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yeh apparently thats not gonna happen as the poll is uneditable, jeez did ya not read the post:rolleyes: j/k

my order of preference i thought was : 1)Liverpool subforum 2)superthread 3)as it is now
    i thought that was the general opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Why not have both? A general thread for club gossip, Rafa's beard, what SAF had for breakfast, reserve team news etc, but do away with the "why isn't this in the general thread" responses whenever someone posts a separate thread to discuss the likes of Tevez to ManYoo/Torres to Pool.

I mean, there are topics that are of sufficient interest to support their own threads, they don't need to lumped in to one giant thread simply because they're about a specific club.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

copacetic wrote:
    It's not funny really, it was one of the reasons advanced for wanting a subforum. The subforum hasn't happened so you would think the staus quo would be maintained. There was never any discussion along the lines of get rid of the superthread, it was discussion on why a subforum might be better than a superthread. Not having either seems like a shortsighted move imo.

Thanks for bolding the one there, if you read my post again (hint - the one you quoted) you'll see I said it was one, though I left out the bold.

My bad, kthxbye.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for bolding the one there, if you read my post again (hint - the one you quoted) you'll see I said it was one, though I left out the bold.

My bad, kthxbye.

I realise that you said it, I was just putting it in bold for emphasis, as you seemed to be saying that because some people said that they would prefer a forum because it'd be easier to follow, they should therefore be delighted to lose the superthread and not get the forum either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If there were a Liverpool forum, it wouldn't mean that other fans would be unable to post in it, it would just mean that it would be easy to discuss different things without them getting lost because 12 diff topics are on every page, and hundreds in one thread.

But that's just silly. First off, it's not like the liverpool threads are destroying the forum. Currently there are a lot of Liverpool threads, but that'll die down once people get used to no superthread and also once the pre-season is over.

If you have a sub-forum, people will stick to it. If I want to keep up on the soccer news, I'll have to check two forums which is just silly. Furthermore, once the season starts, and there are some matches, there'll be a thread in teh Liverpool forum and a thread in the soccer forum. Some fans will want to post only in the Liverpool forum, which will make the soccer forum worse for it.

A balanced is what is needed, but to be honest, the whole can't follow what's going on is really quite stupid. If anything, a superthread makes it a lot easier to follow what's going on, as evidenced by the comments since the thread was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

out of interest whats to stop someone starting another General Liverpool thread?

i mean a poll doesnt need to be used - if people want to post in it they can and if no they dont have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If anything the 'pool supporters should follow the utd supporters lead, a new thread every half season (per transfer window), and any big topics (tevez/nani_anderson/heinze) get their own topic with the big thread giving focus to rumours and reserve matches/pre-season friendlies. But then it's been 18 years and still Liverpool can't follow Utd's lead :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

As far as I am aware there was never any decision to have single superthreads for clubs, They appear to have just evolved with certain users moaning if anyone opened a new thread.

Personally I feel the superthreads are restrictive in that it is difficult to hold/follow a discussion with numerous topics being discussed in the same thread. They are one of the reasons that so many people no longer contribute to the soccer forum on a regular basis.

On the subject of the dedicated club forum, I don't thinks thats a good idea either. There are plenty of dedicated club forums on the net, What made the soccer forum so entertaining was the banter between the various supporter groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mods,

This is getting beyond a joke. Theres a new bloody liverpool thread popping up every five minutes. Just because they stamp their feet and demand a new forum doesnt mean us non pool fans should suffer with the garbage thats popping up on the soccer forum. Its one thing if they were genuine threads, but take the Javi Garcia one for instance. This was news over a week ago, but now that the Liverpool discussion thread is locked and they think that if theres enough Liverpool threads that they'll get there own forum, its suddenly worth discussing. Why do you insist on alienating the rest of the soccer fans just to accomodate one group?

Sort it out ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh calm down, it's been two days, I'm sure you'll survive this living hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It is actually just a case of Liverpool fans wanting to discuss various things relating to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chill out....

The Javi Garcia thread was started yesterday morning, and i think the superthread may have still been open when it was?! Its not just any old crap being posted, Heinzes move, New stadium, Torres and Babel cleared to play, Lucas arriving, possible move for Quaresma??? these are all big pieces of news and seen as there is no where else to put them, where do you expect them to go?!

Ps. the Javi Garcia move was news over a week ago?! i like to think i have my ear somewhat to the ground, and yesterday was the first i'd heard of it! So thanks to whoever posted that.

If you want an appeal to the mods, maybe you should be appealling for them to reopen the superthread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with Archimedes' post tbh. I think the super threads are better than the clutter.

You probably didnt notice it throughout my rant, or maybe I didnt make it clear, but reopening the superthread is precisely what I want done cos itll (hopefully) get rid of all these new threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I agree with Archimedes' post tbh. I think the super threads are better than the clutter.

It's not clutter to most Liverpool fans.

Obviously its not - but it is clutter to us and we have as much a right to access the soccer forum as Liverpool fans. We dont mind you discussing it, we'd just prefer it confined to a super thread in the same way our discussions are confined to the United superthread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Nobody is stopping you from accessing the soccer forum. Though I can understand the clutter arguments, I've made it myself on a few other message boards...

Personally, I'd prefer the superthread, it was great to read. Though a forum would be nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The-Rigger wrote:
    It's not clutter to most Liverpool fans.
    This isn't a specific Liverpool forum, it's a soccer forum. Would you be pissed off if the Arsenal and Man Utd superthreads were locked and you had anything up to eight club specific threads pushing smaller stories to page 2 of the forum?

The most reasonable solution is allow superthreads and to allow single smaller threads based on teams who already have superthreads if the OP wants to start one up.

Can't they all just get along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IMO the perfect scenario is re-opening the Superthread, but only using it for the more trivial stuff, youth signings, Rafas beard, our opinions on formations etc, and have new threads for bigger stuff, Torres, Benayoung etc signing, New stadium

I have to admit i think im against the idea of a seperate Liverpool subforum. I like the additions and discussions made by non pool fans. Im not sure non pool fans would bother venturing to a different subforum, for example, i read the spurs threads here, but i couldnt be arsed headin over to their subforum..(no offence lads!)

If most things are kept to the Superthread, with only proper important topics being given seperate threads it would clear up a lot of the clutter, and still keep us all as one big happy boardsie football family!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Basically we just want it the way it was before! :(

change is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Basically we just want it the way it was before! :(

change is bad

Indeed.

I suspect the number of unique threads will drop off over the next week or so as some form of organisation evolves from life without the super thread.

Advertisement