Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'01 Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting

Options
  • 25-07-2007 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

I'm reliably informed that I could get a '01 Punto 1.2 Sporting with 27,000 miles on the clock and one owner for €4,850, with Alloys, Sunroof, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Immobiliser, Multiple Air Bags, Radio-Cassette, CD Player.

They all seem to have 50+k on the clock at that price for any of the other ones I've seen.

Is this offer too good to pass up?

Is the Punto a decent car? (I've been driving my mum's '04 clio for the last 6 months)

How much should I expect to pay for fully comp insurance considering I've only a little over 6 months driving exp? €1,800??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to move fast on this one!

EDIT: I've just turned 21, just incase it'll have a drastic bearing on my insurance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's a lot of money for a 01 Punto, I used to have a Sporting, and they're a nice car.
    A few things to look out for: ensure all electrics, locking, windows, sunroof, stereo work as they should. Make sure the gears change properly without and crunching. syncromeshs go on the gearbox and are expensive to fix.
    Head gaskets aren't realy a problem on the 16 valve 1.2 engine, but have a mechanic look the car over anyway.
    Creaking from the rear suspension is normal on Puntos, as is the radio not turning off with the key.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's a lot for a '01 Punto? I thought it was a good price for a 27,000 mile car with 1 owner? :s

I've also found a 00 1.2 Sporting with 77k miles for €3,100.

Also looking at a 00 1.2 Sporting with 55k miles for €3,750.

To be honest I'm only looking to spend 4-5kg, if I picked up either of the 2 previous cars then I'd be free to spend the excess on some new wheels or something to mark the car as my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

well i picked up a 05 punto for 6000 last dec.... it's not a sporting though. but a 01 for that money, na......

Friend of mine bought a 01 ELX for 3,000 earlier in the year with 29k. I know the sporting is nicer, but just to give you some perspecive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Excellent little drivers car. Not the most trouble free car you could buy, but I'm sure you're aware of that. On first thoughts it looks a bit pricey. Then again if it has full FIAT history, it is immaculate and you could get another few hundred off, you'd be getting yourself a good deal. An '01 sporting would be worth about twice what an '01 standard Punto is worth :D

Selling it on again will not be as easy as most other cars in its class. I'd only buy it if I'd plan to keep it for a few years.

Did you check out how much insurance is?

• Advertisement

insurance wise, mine cost pretty much the same to insure as a standard model, that was 6 years ago though ;)

it's still only a 1.2 small car!

Hmmm... thanks for the feedback thus far everyone.

The original deal that I thought was great doesn't appear so now... I'm just used to looking at similar golfs/fiestas/polos and them being 1k+ more.

I really really like how the sporting looks.

To be honest, residual value doesn't bother me. I'm just after a car to get me in and out of college this year and around the city and maybe up/down the country 2/3x a year. I'll probably keep it for 2 or 3 years and by that stage I shoudl be in a relatively well paid accounting job so what's €1,000 less in value gonna be then? I'm buying it for now. Not the future!

Insurance works out between 1,800-2k fully comp with me as owner. Not too bad I suppose. That was with Quinn online. No doubt I'd get it cheaper when I phone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I drove one a few years back when a mate worked for FIAT. Couldn't believe the amount of kit in it, 6 gears, 5cd changer, Aircon, and full electrics ... I was easily impressed at the time, it was simpler back then ;) BUT, what a cracking little car to drive, I loved it. If it wasn't badged FIAT, it would have sold in far greater numbers. Haggle on the price, make sure it's well looked after service wise, and you'll have a fun little motor on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

had one of these from new back in 2001
    watch out for power steering pump if the red wheel light flashes or stays on after you start the car the pump is on its way out.

This will cost you about 800 quid to fix.

Also check the clutch. make sure it is springy i had trouble with the clutch twice in my one

They are a nice car but be prepared to spend some money on repairs.

most things were cheap enough to fix except power steering pump.

Check the subwoofer in the boot these were known to blow and the cd changer also gave problems.

hope that helps you feel free to ask anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€4,850 is way too much for a 6 year old Punto Sporting imo even if it has low mileage.

Shop around, there are plenty of these cars about for sale with similar mileage, just a matter of being a bit patient.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    €4,850 is way too much for a 6 year old Punto Sporting imo even if it has low mileage.

Shop around, there are plenty of these cars about for sale with similar mileage, just a matter of being a bit patient.

How much should I be looking at paying? 4,200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I would think 3-4k max.Look around and you will find it that cheap

Hanley wrote:
    Insurance works out between 1,800-2k fully comp with me as owner. Not too bad I suppose. That was with Quinn online. No doubt I'd get it cheaper when I phone around.
    go to excess direct... €1,200

p.s. cheapest 01 sporting on carzone is 3950 - you'd get it for 3500 no problem at all

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=651904

Excess Direct eh..? Thanks!

That Punto above has 80k on it. That's not something to worry about is it?

had one of these from new back in 2001
    watch out for power steering pump if the red wheel light flashes or stays on after you start the car the pump is on its way out.

This will cost you about 800 quid to fix.
    Puntos don't have power steering pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

Puntos don't have power steering pumps

sorry meant the servo. my bad

that's ok, just being pedantic for the sake of it ;)

a punto is a punto, at the end of the day disregarding the mileage it will break. My other half has gone though 3 of them... a 00 a 02 and now a 05 with 19k miles on the clock and the gearbox was replaced last week.

Advertisement