Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quicktime Player Problem.

• 25-07-2007 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

I've converted an AVI file to MP4 for my iPod but when I try to play it in Quicktime it only plays sound, there's no picture, just a flickering screen.

If I play the same converted file using Real Player it plays fine (both picture & sound).

I have the latest Klite Codec pack installed.

Should Quicktime play MP4?

Does anyone know why I have no picture in Quicktime?

= :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Aye Quicktime should play mp4. ITs sounds like a badly encoded file maybe or a codec issue for Quicktime. Try a different mp4 file in quicktime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Archytas wrote:
    Aye Quicktime should play mp4. ITs sounds like a badly encoded file maybe or a codec issue for Quicktime. Try a different mp4 file in quicktime.

Well I used Xilisoft iPod Video Converter first & it seemed to convert fine but it would not show picture when played in Quicktime.

Then I converted the file using Easy Video to iPod MP4 PSP 3GP Converter & that too converted the file fine but it still won't play video in Quicktime.

Both files play perfectly in Realplayer though.

The whole purpose was to convert two small AVI clips for my iPod.
    I haven't put them on the iPod yet because if they won't play video in Quicktime they'll hardly play on the iPod, right?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

What about a file that you didn't convert...? Do they work?

Archytas wrote:
    What about a file that you didn't convert...? Do they work?

I don't have any MP4 files to try, that would tell me if it was the converted file or a codec issue though.

What do most people use to convert stuff for iPods?

OK,
    I got hold of another MP4 file that wasn't converted & the result is the same, sound but no picture.

So does this mean it's a codec issue?

I already have the latest K-Lite pack installed.

Does anyone know what I need to install to get this working?

-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not all MP4's are the same MP4 is just a container the video inside the container can be a different codec for example MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP or MPEG-4 AVC {aka H.264}.

Quicktime is limited to very specific codecs and the manner to which they are encoded in so it technically supports MPEG-4 SP and H.264 but you must encode to the Apple variations of these format for them to play.

So either the program you used didn't do a very good job converting or your version of Quicktime is out of date.

Step 1 go get Quicktime & iTunes latest version from Apples site, you need iTunes to send videos to the iPod.

Step 2 go get XviD4PSP and use that as the conversion software it is far better software and comes with an iPod profile, convert the videos using that and they will play in Quicktime and the iPod.

{If your wondering the MP4 iPod 640 profile in XviD4PSP is for videos that will play when the iPod is hooked up to a TV, they will not play on the internal screen of the iPod}

{Uninstall the Kaza codec pack before installing XviD4PSP as the Kaza codec pack is a bad one and XviD4PSP comes with the codecs you need}

{Alternatively if you have Nero run Nero Recode and select convert videos to Nero Digital in the profile section you will find an iPod profile that will produce compatible videos for you}

8T8 wrote:
    Not all MP4's are the same MP4 is just a container the video inside the container can be a different codec for example MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP or MPEG-4 AVC {aka H.264}.

Quicktime is limited to very specific codecs and the manner to which they are encoded in so it technically supports MPEG-4 SP and H.264 but you must encode to the Apple variations of these format for them to play.

So either the program you used didn't do a very good job converting or your version of Quicktime is out of date.

Step 1 go get Quicktime & iTunes latest version from Apples site, you need iTunes to send videos to the iPod.

Step 2 go get XviD4PSP and use that as the conversion software it is far better software and comes with an iPod profile, convert the videos using that and they will play in Quicktime and the iPod.

{If your wondering the MP4 iPod 640 profile in XviD4PSP is for videos that will play when the iPod is hooked up to a TV, they will not play on the internal screen of the iPod}

{Uninstall the Kaza codec pack before installing XviD4PSP as the Kaza codec pack is a bad one and XviD4PSP comes with the codecs you need}

{Alternatively if you have Nero run Nero Recode and select convert videos to Nero Digital in the profile section you will find an iPod profile that will produce compatible videos for you}

Thanks for all that Info 8T8,

I've downloaded Xvid4psp & converted the file to MP4 iPod using it & the result is exactly the same as before, sound but no picture?

I don't get it? I must be missing some sort of codec?

I popped both of the converted files (one from the Orig converter & the second from Xvid4psp) onto the iPod & both play perfectly, they just won't play in Quicktime.

Any other thoughts?

Advertisement