Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fix for Old PC

• 25-07-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

basically I have an old Packard Bell P4 PC. I want to get it going again as I want to network it to my new PC. But, every time I start it up I get an operating sys. error. I dont have a boot disk for it. I actually just want to get it going so I can load Windows XP media centre on it to watch in my bedroom an d use the content from my new PC.

I've tried to boot it with the new XPMCE, I've tried to get it to boot from harddrive, no go. I just want to wipe it and start fresh!! Any ideas???

Any help much appreciated,

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Go into the BIOS settings (F2, DEL or whatever key at startup) and check that the hard drive is showing up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

boot up your Pc and access the bios.

change the boot order to cd first

pop in the xp cd and restart , you should be promted on screen to press a key to boot from Cd rom ....

follow on screen insturctions from there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

cheers for the quick reply's,

i've tried these, got into BIOS, changed the boot order to CD rom 1st, no go, changed to hardrive boot 1st, no go. My hard drive is showing up no bother in the BIOS.

Is there not a way to just delete everything, because its coming up with an OS error I assume the last OS is prob infected or something??

Could packard bell have a restriction so you can't upgrade the OS???

Also, on startup I've tried going straight into the boot order not in BIOS, and I can't select a boot preference, but I assume that it does the same thing as choosing boot sequence in the BIOS :confused:

any other suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Booting from the windows CD will give you the option to format the hard disk and reinstall windows.

Do what 555guy said and you will be fine.

*Not you'll have to hit the any key to actually make it boot from the CD, the machine will prompt you to do so*

Advertisement