Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak doors & skirting

• 25-07-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

hi i'm looking for solid oak doors, skirting & architraves anyone purchase
    these recently and got a good price?

(doesn't matter where the shop is)

from looking around i'm looking at 6K for the doors alone:eek:

would it be more suitable to get white deal and stain them?

what you think?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried Irwins in Castleblaney?
    Very reasonable, but they don't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

It seems to me that where you get caught is in the architraves and skirting. We were faced with the same dilemma. Our solution was solid doors and white deal architraves and skirting which we painted. You are still screwed with the frames though ! hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you cant stain cheap, soft wood to make it look like a good hard wood.
    You try getting some clear pine everything and then stain that as desired, but I wouldnt advise mixing and matching different types of wood.
    At least if they are all pine they will all end up pretty much the same colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We didn't stain the wood, we painted it white, the same color as the skirting boards. It worked out nicely.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Constanople

I recently moved into my house and had oak pre-finished doors installed. I got MDF oak veneered pre finished skirting and architrave which look really well. My door frames comprise of two sections, red deal frame ( not as thick as ordinary red deal door frames ) fixed to blocks and this is then covered with fully solid strips of oak which also came pre finished.
    All of the above were easy source in the mayo/galway region and i had at least 4 different DIY stores in which i could have purchased.
    Hope this is of some use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Very hard to source solid especially for architrave and skirtings. Getting white-oak veneered mdf (either raw or pre-finished) shouldn't be too difficult.
    Most oak doors I've done lately were engineered mdf too. Almost impoossible to tell apart, still a solid internal door. I'd imagine it's a fair bit cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I'd be interested in getting hold of some Oak veneered MDF skirting and architrave (pre-finished would be great). Anyone know a source in the Kildare area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 the chippie

i did a job a few months back and got white oak doors ,soild architrave ,skirting and doorframe from doorsireland.ie in dublin (finglas)
    i think i paid around 4500-5000 euro for

8 white oak shaker doors e215-240
    3,clear pine shaker doors e100
    5 packs of skirting (60ft in a pack) e130 a pack
    11 doorframe sets an architrave e70-80 a set
    i think its about e2000 min cheaper than any other prices i got around .
    regards the chippie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

thanks everyone for the replies:)

chippie & Hill Billy i hadn't heard of them i'll give your contacts a ring, i've no problem travelling up to get them thanks again for the contacts

Wertz, regarding the white-oak veneered mdf, i saw those here and they'd do the job nicely but senior management wants the "real thing"
    (i reckon if i sent her away for a few days i'd get away with it and have a few quid for the pints of plain:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peebles

Have you tried www.funkywood.co.uk?

I saw it on another forum and thought their designs were amazing, and quite reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Murnane O Shea's do solid Oak arc an skirting in Bantry Ain't going to be the cheapest but it's good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

dogg_r_69 wrote: »
    Murnane O Shea's do solid Oak arc an skirting in Bantry Ain't going to be the cheapest but it's good quality

OP posted in '07 - so I'm pretty sure their prices will have been reduced in '10 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

op use oak veneer!! you wont tell the difference as the veneer is actual solid oak about 6 mm thick over the doors and skirting and architrave. i recently purchased veneered oak 6 panel doors in cork for e89 each and they look great and i know of a supplier in ballincollig doing veneer skirting and architrave and door saddles and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

this thread started in 2007 :D at the time i visited that store in ballincollig

in the end i went for the solid doors, skirting and architrave worked out fine

grand job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

peebles wrote: »
    Have you tried www.funkywood.co.uk?

I saw it on another forum and thought their designs were amazing, and quite reasonable.

.... good thing I'm not suspicious .... first time poster recommending a site on a thread that's 3 years old .... funky man ... funky.

Advertisement