Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Scam

Options
  • 26-07-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

In the Mother's house tonight, and I've a few nice cars on the drive. 2 20ish year old black girls knocked on the door, attempting to show oil paintings to the Mother. They told her they weren't selling them, only showing them, and could they come in to show her the paintings, they weren't interested in showing them at the door.

When they heard my voice asking was everything okay, they got a bit shocked, I could tell from their faces, and body language between each other, so I asked them to leave, and closed the door. I'm nearly certain they were trying to case the house for the car keys, but maybe I'm being OTT.

Anyone else have the same peddlers to the door? Were they genuine? I only caught the tail end of the conversation, so I'm not 100% sure of my actions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

na , i'd say they are just trying to sell the paintings (they are all produced in china btw) at some mad price.... you'd find it hard to shift them one they got in though....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ned78 wrote:
    and could they come in to show her the paintings, they weren't interested in showing them at the door.

I'm afraid my response to that would be "Then I'm not interested in buying them" before I promptly shut the door. Reeks of some kind of scam. Any of those kind of 'struggling artist' types I've ever had to the door would lay out their entire life for you on the doorstep if you gave them enough of your time. I'd be slow to invite any unsolicited callers into my house, especially ones with as flimsy a reason as the two that your mother experienced. Get her a big, mean dog. Then kick it in the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Very suspicious.Id report it just to make sure the guards know about them if they turn up again.Warn elderly people not to deal with door callers as there are so many scams on the go? put up a fake cctv camera to scare them off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

A very polite FU€K OFF!!!!!:eek: :eek:
    usually works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

daveirl wrote:

Hey Dave,

It happened in Blackrock. I watched them after they left the house, and they didn't go to the neighbours, which I found very strange. They left the Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

It sounds very suspect to me - Any artists that have come to our door have pictures held out as they approach.

I'd report it to the local gardai, see what they make of it.

deRanged wrote:
    see what they make of it.

"Right, we have all those details noted down" *Garda at desk types at his invisible typewriter*

rymus wrote:
    "Right, we have all those details noted down" *Garda at desk types at his invisible typewriter*

While simultaneously eating a breakfast roll AND talking on the phone. An ancient and mystical power handed down from redneck to redneck in the hallowed ground of Templemore.

fiendishly true... I'm unfortunate to have dealt with one of the gardai teaching in templemore and necks dont come much redder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We had a guy claiming to be an Israeli with a mission to show art to the world - art which would otherwise be blocked by the galleries etc etc.

Took a while to get rid of the fecker as he seemed to want to be argumentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

owen,so the little black ladies are after your cooper s eh?:-D
    id say'd they got frightened and went off their way,they could be targeting houses where the owners look wealthy or something!

@daveirl

heard that report on the scanner last night..ahem i mean @ the police station,there were guys assigned but didnt get "time" ;-)

damo86 wrote:
    owen,so the little black ladies are after your cooper s eh?

The Cooper S is gone now, but I have a Cooper Diesel on the drive, and herself's Cooper Cabrio, and no doubt they're aware of the motorbikes/tools in the garage. Bastids!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I would be of the opinion that anybody who calls to the door selling stuff etc. who ask to come in are dodgy types who should be promptly kicked off the property...

The worry would be elderly people, they could let them in & not even realise that stuff is being taken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Topic says it all... they could be 'legitimately' trying to sell worthless prints to whomever is guillible enough to buy one, or else they could be scouting around for potential easy targets. I would be worried that they call when there is nobody around and help themselves to my chainsaw. The best thing you can do is invest in a couple of rottweilers for the front garden.

Advertisement