Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help on a new(ish) car

Options
  • 26-07-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

i've decided to get rid of my current car before it starts to cause problems (and i hate it)...

have been driven (:D ) mad over the last two months or so trying to find a car that i actually like...

a few details.

23, full licence, 1 years ncb.
    will have between 10 and 12k to spend.

no french or itialian cars or fords..
    looking to go either coupe of 4d saloon and to a max of 1.8l
    a/c would also be preferable

any suggestions

have already been thinking levin (but all clocked, seemingly) avensis (hard to find one for a decent price with low milage and a/c) or almera(but the current "nissan almera" thread is putting me off...)

some other maybes include accord, cordoba, toledo, civic, even passat

don't use the car for work, only pleasure:D ...

EDIT: wouldn't have the confidence/time to import a car...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a Hyundai Coupe:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=735936
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=707420

Passat and Accord are good cars but tend to be driven more by older people.

If you are interested in a saloon then also consider the Mazda 6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=738063

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

bazz26 wrote:
    How about a Hyundai Coupe:

they're nice actually
    bazz26 wrote:
    Passat and Accord are good cars but tend to be driven more by older people.

:confused: by the time i'm old enough to drive these really, a litre of petrol will cost €10 so why not now:)

bazz26 wrote:
    If you are interested in a saloon then also consider the Mazda 6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=738063

its an awful looking car inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have always liked preludes
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=712771
    Would be worth test driving one to see what you think.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:
    I have always liked preludes
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=712771
    Would be worth test driving one to see what you think.

OP only wants to go up to 1.8 litre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

The Avensis are a great car, €10k won't get you into the new model, '03 onwards, but it will get you a '02 with air-con.

ta2kev wrote:
    The Avensis are a great car, €10k won't get you into the new model, '03 onwards, but it will get you a '02 with air-con.

my dad has owned both and i've driven both briefly and we both dislike the new one. the older model is a much nicer car. the new one has the turning circle of a bus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=744412

1.8, decent size (has anyone ever mentioned the humungous boot?), Half Leather, A/C, fun to drive and 35 mpg

Try Britton insurance for a quote before dismissing it totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Come on your 23 not 43 why would you even consider an Avensis ?

The Hyundai coupe would be a nice bet - or maybe a civic coupe ?
    Prelude would be hard to insure at your age.

Maybe an Audi A3 or Golf ?

if you want some fun have you thought about a Mazda MX5 or MR2 ?

I know you seem to have some problem with French or Italian style but the Alfa 147 is a proper 23yo's car not a feckin Avensis. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:

I know you seem to have some problem with French or Italian style but the Alfa 147 is a proper 23yo's car not a feckin Avensis. :rolleyes:

dont want french or itilian cos they are rubbish cars not cos of looks...

sure if i could afford it i'd be buying this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=742047

but a big car would be nice none the less...

and anyway the alfa is a small girly lookin hatch, barely better than what i have now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Kadeshh wrote:
    dont want french or itilian cos they are rubbish cars not cos of looks...
    You seem to show such fantastic insight into motoring and the world of cars why do you need help from the boards crew at al I wonder ? :rolleyes:

Buy an Avensis its the preferd form of motoring for folks who think like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had a 2002 Hyundai Coupe 1.6 until very recently when I traded it for a new Civic 1.8. I had no trouble with it whatsoever. Very reliable but a bit basic equipment-wise. The back is very cramped for adults. Only put people in there if you don't like them :). The 1.6 puts out about 105bhp and was relatively cheap for me to insure with 2 years NCB and full licence.

Also you get no end of hairdresser comments from amateur comedians :rolleyes:

RobAMerc wrote:
    You seem to show such fantastic insight into motoring and the world of cars why do you need help from the boards crew at al I wonder ? :rolleyes:

well you read threads on this site, there is a definite concensus that french and itialian car are mechanically poor in some way or another. My mother had a few fiats over the years and all had something constantly going wrong with them (as did the g/f parents, same story), never mind what most people on here say when the word "alfa" is mentioned...

To the OP, the best thing to do is go out and test drive as many cars as possible to see which one you like the most. Everyone has different opinions on cars as taste can vary from the one person to the next. Nobody here can tell you what car to buy.

Personally I don't believe in catagorising cars into stereo types of what you should or shouldn't be driving based on age, sex, smile on your face, etc.

It's pointless, if you like a particular car and want it then go and buy it.

bazz26 wrote:
    To the OP, the best thing to do is go out and test drive as many cars as possible to see which one you like the most. Everyone has different opinions on cars as taste can vary from the one person to the next. Nobody here can tell you what car to buy.

Personally I don't believe in catagorising cars into stereo types of what you should or shouldn't be driving based on age, sex, smile on your face, etc.

It's pointless, if you like a particular car and want it then go and buy it.

i do intend to drive a few cars, the main reason i asked was just to try find ones i wouldnt really have thought about, like the hyundai coupe, which actully looks quite nice and will be added to my list now:)

Kadeshh wrote:
    i do intend to drive a few cars, the main reason i asked was just to try find ones i wouldnt really have thought about, like the hyundai coupe, which actully looks quite nice and will be added to my list now:)

By all means, no harm in asking for opinions but usually these type of threads end up with buy carX or carZ but don't buy carY because of X reason. At the end of the day they are opinions which by nature are biased.

Best of luck anyway with whatever you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Kadeshh wrote:
    well you read threads on this site, there is a definite concensus that french and itialian car are mechanically poor in some way or another.

The blind having been led by the blind.

You are basing your motoring 'knowledge' on what you read on this forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You've stated the car is for pleasure, not for work. passats/almeras/avensis are boring, boring cars. Even those who own them would admit that.
    Something like an accord is a little nicer, its still an old persons car, why on earth would you drive one at age 23?
    How about living a little. Scale back a few years on that number plate ( if you can bear the shame ), and keep some money aside for fixing a car with a bit of personality and character.

Advertisement