Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

top gear yesterday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

And the 'guy with a pixalated face' - I think he started off with a normal face till he pushed Jeremy Clarkson thru the hole in the ice!! They must have taken him off the show and had to pixelate his face! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

nipplenuts wrote:
    It was fun, entertaining stuff, but a load of bollox. I don't recall seeing the sled being pulled out of the snow or using chainsaws to get through the ice. I did once see car tracks through the snow ahead of Clarkson and May - suggesting the path had been cleared for them.

how do you think they get all those shots of the car from the front? Lob a camera over the roof of the car and hope it doesn' get smashed? Of course there would be a car ahead of them at least some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

entertaining programme, but not such a great feat really, compared to this http://www.citroen.com/CWW/en-US/HISTORY/ADVENTURE/YellowCruise/ 75 (!!) years ago across the Himalayas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I must say I didn't expect much from the show, those staged races are always cr4p, but the Polar Race I was genuinely interested in it !

My wife even watched it and she hates Clarkeson (Overexposure in our house)

I deffo agree that JC could have had a heart attack when pushed in that hole, and I also spotted the tyre tracks ahead of them.

But they did endure some serious situations and that truck did very well, especially with the pounding he gave it over some of the rough stuff. I recall they both looked scared to death at one point when treading slowly through the thin ice !

Anyone know what motor was in the Hilux, it did not sound like a 4 cyl diesel to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MercMad wrote:
    Anyone know what motor was in the Hilux, it did not sound like a 4 cyl diesel to me !

And therein lies the problem....
    Did they even mention the Hilux? If they did it was a pretty brief intro which I missed while channel-hopping.

I loved the US trip but thought this show was totally lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think clarkson just said something like this.

"... of course there was only one vehicle that we felt up to the job" and with that the camera zooms in on the hilux badge on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cremo wrote:
    think clarkson just said something like this.

"... of course there was only one vehicle that we felt up to the job" and with that the camera zooms in on the hilux badge on the side

Clarkson hates Toyota and sees most Japanese cars as boring, since of course they are not British.
    He did try and destroy a Hi-lux, but eventually had to admit it was almost indestructible. Why didn't he do with landrover?

The sled team also had to have someone with them, otherwise how did they get the distance shots of Hammond and the lady on the sled.
    It was all basically staged.

They kept saying the North Pole to which most people would believe the geographic North Pole. And then they did not even reach the correct latitude for the Magnetic North Pole.
    If you ignore all the inconsistencies it was funny but there were just two many to not think of it as an ego trip for Clarkson.

That is why I have to say the best part was watching Clarkson go in the drink.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

MercMad wrote:
    3.0 litre D-4D engine, more here-
    http://www.arctictrucks.com/?PageID=1219

Some stuff about the actual event-
    http://www.arctictrucks.com/?PageID=1233

...and the rest of the things they do-
    http://www.arctictrucks.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They followed the route of the 'Polar Challenge' which goes to the magnetic pole of 1996 (which makes the race a set distance).

http://www.polar-challenge.com/

I have to admit I understood it to be the north pole all along until I saw the GPS at the end... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jmayo wrote:
    Clarkson hates Toyota and sees most Japanese cars as boring, since of course they are not British.
    He did try and destroy a Hi-lux, but eventually had to admit it was almost indestructible. Why didn't he do with landrover?

you've just answered yourself as to why they didn't take a landrover.

seriously a landrover would not last out there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The story they give is that the races aren't staged. They run the race for real then go back and do some more filming after. Most of the shots of the hilux ploughing through the snow could have been done anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

...........because they wanted to get there................at some point !

Thanks for the link Rovi !

Advertisement