Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

There's not enough Rock discussion here...

• 26-07-2007 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know, maybe it's because of the fact that a lot of the greats are no longer together that we don't see much talk of it. Compare discussion of Led Zep to Rush? Rush are still going strong, and there's always plenty of topics about them.

Still, I don't see why we can't discuss the genre more.

So how about it? Can we drum up some support?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

yea, most threads are about metal! There are dam all about led zep, aerosmith, lizzy, free, pink floyd, deep purple, cream, queen, stones....... you have inspired me to start new thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well, you might notice they are all very old bands. I'm up for a bit of discussion but I think it's obvious why there isn't much. The only band without bus passes I can think of that fit well into the Rock or rather Rock and Roll category are Wolfmother. Who I LOVE. I'd get in on that thread. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't know, maybe it's because of the fact that a lot of the greats are no longer together that we don't see much talk of it.

How did I miss that now? Well, I'm embarressed. Ignore my post. Except for the Wolfmother bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Sandor wrote:
    The only band without bus passes I can think of that fit well into the Rock or rather Rock and Roll category are Wolfmother. Who I LOVE. I'd get in on that thread. ;)

indeed, get thier album a few weeks ago, only got around to listening to it 2 or 3 weeks ago, its class. If you like wolfmother, id say you would like the answer, they are from belfast and are class. I think they opened for the who a few weeks ago as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

well from a rock'n'roll god (mike patton) i would agree with his view.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=THV23g3z5qU&mode=related&search=

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote:

Was about to post that myself. Wolfmother are a truely terrible band, who sound like a poor Led Zeppelin tribute band. I acutually started a band a few weeks back, and the three other members insisted ondoing covers of Wolfmother instead of playing original music. The band ended when one they compared Mike Patton to the singer from Linkin Park.

I agree with Karl's original post.Classic rock is greatly ignored these days, I've been listening to an awful lot of it lately as I recently got a turntable and having been playing my Dad's records all the time. So lets try and bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

chin_grin wrote:

As much as i like some of his projects, that man has produced some of the shittist shit i have ever had the "pleasure" of listening to in my life.
    All that sounds a little rich coming from him.

Having said that i don't like Wolfmother either:)

fortuneg wrote:
    As much as i like some of his projects, that man has produced some of the shittist shit i have ever had the "pleasure" of listening to in my life.
    All that sounds a little rich coming from him.

Having said that i don't like Wolfmother either:)

But everything he does is differant. Unlike so many other artists every album isn't the same as the previous one. Patton isn't afraid to try something new, and come on the man made Norah Jones sound dirty, not an easy task. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

But everything he does is differant. Unlike so many other artists every album isn't the same as the previous one.

True, but that doesn't stop it from being shit
    Some of those Fantomas albums are just beyond shit
    Patton isn't afraid to try something new, and come on the man made Norah Jones sound dirty, not an easy task. :D

I did quite like Peeping Tom!

Edit: Sorry for using shit so much but i think it most accurately describes my feelings towards some of Pattons projects:)

fortuneg wrote:
    True, but that doesn't stop it from being shit
    Some of those Fantomas albums are just beyond shit

I liked Fantomas a lot. First time I heard it I hadn't slept in three days and was lieing on a friends couch when suddenly out of nowhere it began. We listened to it in it's entirety, and then played it again. I think I appreciate it for the originality, then again Mike Patton could recored himself **** a soundbooth for half and hour and it would sell.

fortuneg wrote:
    I did quite like Peeping Tom!

Edit: Sorry for using shit so much but i think it most accurately describes my feelings towards some of Pattons projects:)

Give him credit for not relying on his old fan base to get him by. Damn shame Peeping Tom cancelled their tour, had my ticket bought and a a room for the two nights booked. The way things are going I'm nevergoing to see Patton live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well at least someone made the distinction between the need for classic rock and normal rock discussion. In my case I'd be perfectly happy to talk about the likes of Alter Bridge, Submersed et all however I'm sure I'd be told they suck compared to <insert name of classic rock band or metal band>.

The problem is theres a pretty big divide between the newer modern rock that has been coming out of the US for the last while and the likes of the newer rock bands from the UK (and indeed US) whose sounds are inspired by the aformentioned classic rock bands. The annoying thing that I find is that the former are derided as being generic radio friendly rock while the latter are hailed as being highly original and having a unique sound...bull imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

chin_grin wrote:

I saw that a while ago.AS much as I love FNM and Peeping Tom, I`d have to agree that Patton is a complete tool hwo has produced some terrible stuff down through the years.And who cares if its "different",its ****! Different isnt always good or indeed interesting.As a front man,he was/is one of the most irritating ever?Watching him fart into the microphone for a whole concert isnt in anyway entertaining.

I really like Wolfmother.Of course they are a Zep/Sabbath rip off but so what?They are great fun to listen to.I dont see anything wrong with going for a retro sound or any sound if people want to listen to it.

Theres too many music police around these days telling people what is and isnt correct,looking down their noses at people.If you dont like it theres a hell of a lot of stuff out there to explore.You dont have to get your knickers in a twist everytime you hear something you dont like(not aimed at any particular poster here).

Me I`m 40 and was brought up on what is now called "classic rock".I still listen to it but also will but anything new that sounds good to me including the likes it Mastodon,Sikth,Wolmother etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

IMO it's because any popular modern rock seems to get discussed in Alt/Indie, even if it's not Alt/Indie in the slightest. I dunno about anyone else, but I think bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam would fit much better in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

JC 2K3 wrote:
    IMO it's because any popular modern rock seems to get discussed in Alt/Indie, even if it's not Alt/Indie in the slightest. I dunno about anyone else, but I think bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam would fit much better in here.

Really? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sandor wrote:
    Well, you might notice they are all very old bands. I'm up for a bit of discussion but I think it's obvious why there isn't much. The only band without bus passes I can think of that fit well into the Rock or rather Rock and Roll category are Wolfmother. Who I LOVE. I'd get in on that thread. ;)

You forgot Queens of the Stone Age. Easily fall into rock n roll categry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9OHxia3os

Gotta love it. Check other live videos, specially the FGHotS from that festival...pure brilliance.

And personally I'd put Pearl Jam into that category with them, both bands better than Wolfmother(whom I do also like).

Yeah, more classic rock discussion needs to be had. Some truly great bands there(they've pretty much all been mentioned). Always great to go back and listen to the stuff every so often...can rely on it to make you feel good about music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Klassic Rock Krules! God be with the days of the blues based medium tempo
    rhythm and sturdy riffing.

I, for no wise reason, still check the music channels and by God if I see
    sh-i-te like Alien Ant Farm, Blink 182 and Linkin Park once more..I'll.........bah! :mad:

Whats happened to rock music?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Whats happened to rock music?

It seems to have gotten ignored.

Probably the best rock band I've heard in the last decade are Green Carnation. They've got a very unique sound, they were never about being 'Retro' like so many rock bands these days, they created one of the most phenominal pieces of progressive music with "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" a single, 60 minute song, and they pack in so much emotional depth. I've seen them live a number of times, and they're awesome. Great guys to chat with aswell. Oh, and the singer doesn't sound like some whiney nasally git with a jock strap that's too tight.

Have a listen:

My point was that they should be discussed in here and not in Alt/Indie, not just whichever forum is chosen randomly by the poster.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    My point was that they should be discussed in here and not in Alt/Indie, not just whichever forum is chosen randomly by the poster.

I looked on the first page of Alt/Indie, and didn't see any thread about the Smashing Pumpkins, so I don't think that's really a problem.

Oh God, it was just an example. If you look on the first page of Alt/Indie you'll see threads on Pearl Jam and Lennon/McCartny, which aren't exactly Alt/Indie and there have been threads on the Pumpkins and bands as unfitting as Pink Floyd there in the past.

• Advertisement

Relax man. If you think it's a problem, maybe next time you can report the post, and say it belongs in here instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I agree with JC on this one. Alternative & Indie should be reserved for the likes of "Yeah Yeah Yeahs", "Babyshambles" etc etc. Those sort of bands.

Rock & Metal = Slayer, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Dream Theatre etc.

I am not a metal-head, I am a huge Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains fan. That sort of music. But, I find myself drifting into the A&I forum more than this because usually, Pearl Jam -esque music is discussed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Erm, are The Smashing Pumpkins not the epitome of alternative rock? As far as I remember, they've always been classed as an alternative band (and I've been a fan for most of their career). So relax, they're only genres. I haven't been whinging that I feel the Pumpkins Zeitgeist thread should be in alternative because I feel they're quite at home on both fora (and considering there is such a healthy thread here, there isn't another one needed on Alt/Indie). The Alt/Indie forum has always been quite open but if you've a problem with it, start a thread there and let the users decide if a more categorical approach needs to be taken.

All Karl said was that not enough rock was going on here, surely if you all have such a problem with Alt/Indie stealing all the rock then you should start your own threads here?

Honestly, I just made a simple suggestion that might account for the more metal orientated discussion here. To be honest I don't really give a damn and don't think I came across as hostile, as both your and Karl's replies seem to imply...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sorry, it's hard to tell sometimes online. I didn't mean to go off on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hate to be a wet blanket to the OP but if I was asked why there's not enough rock discussion here, I would say it is because it has all been said before.
    It's only a matter of itme before topics in forums start to repeat themselves but I've noticed here that if someone starts a topic that has been done before, it gets closed and the poster hissed at.

Just a tought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

adox wrote:
    I saw that a while ago.AS much as I love FNM and Peeping Tom, I`d have to agree that Patton is a complete tool hwo has produced some terrible stuff down through the years.And who cares if its "different",its ****! Different isnt always good or indeed interesting.As a front man,he was/is one of the most irritating ever?Watching him fart into the microphone for a whole concert isnt in anyway entertaining.

Uuuurghh.

It doesn't matter if you're a FNM or Peeping Tom fan, he's not going for that audience. Patton pushes the boundaries of music with every single project he does, even if some come across as bizarre or un-listenable. Someone might think one of his projects doesn't sound good? Who cares, he tried something completely new that most likely no one else would do.
    Sorry i just can't stand when people dismiss him like that and hone in on his more mainstream projects. That's NOT what Patton is about.

Anywho..
    Yeah there really isn't enough "rock" discussion around here, but then again as it's been mentioned, lots of people have different ideas of what rock is..
    Maybe there should be an old skool rock subform or something? Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

L&#233 wrote: »
    Uuuurghh.

It doesn't matter if you're a FNM or Peeping Tom fan, he's not going for that audience. Patton pushes the boundaries of music with every single project he does, even if some come across as bizarre or un-listenable. Someone might think one of his projects doesn't sound good? Who cares, he tried something completely new that most likely no one else would do.
    Sorry i just can't stand when people dismiss him like that and hone in on his more mainstream projects. That's NOT what Patton is about.

How am I dismissing him?I already said I love the FNM and Peeping Tom stuff whether you think its "mainstream" or not he was actually involved in them.I think hes a tool as a performer live,as I`ve stated and find alot of the stuff hes recorded dross.It doesnt mean I cant understand it or am not his target audience.I just think its crap.
    More power to you if you enjoy his stuff.Its all about opinions,but surely you should be willing to accept that some people dont like what you like.

Advertisement