Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Master - excellent

Options
  • 26-07-2007 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

If you have half-life 2 you can just download this mod for free, its still in the beta stage but very playable..

Just starting playing this a few days ago and its so much fun..

Its an online only and you start off as a group of survivors..

I'll just give you an example of one particular map.. everyone spawns beside an overturned truck on a dusty road.. then theres a mad scramble for weapons.. anything will do, sledgehammers, shotguns, rifles.. then we all start legging it along the road.. in the distance you see a battered petrol station.. then you see the zombies..

Everyone runs inside, and because its half-life2 you can pick up or move almost anything.. its a race to barricade the place.. and you hear gunfire breaking out as the zombies close in.. people getting separated from the group.. you can hold off from the house for quite some time, but since 3 batteries have to be collected from outside.. people have to go out there..

The group mentality is brilliant.. you just don't want to be left on your own..

Here is the genius of the game.. one of the players is the Zombie Master - he is spawning and controlling the zombies.. setting and activating traps.. from bridges collapses, to tornadoes, to rockfalls..

As players you have to try to stick together while frantically trying to complete objectives.. you can pile up boxes to jump over the fence.. or you can use brute force to smash your way through a gate with zombies closing in.. theres so many movie moments.. like a dozen of us with our backs against the wall and the doors open and theres a sea of zombies.. everyone just opens up.. the gore and blood effects are very good..

Its a little buggy and rough around the edges, remember it is still just a mod, but damn good fun if you find a nice server..

The situations that arise are just pure gold.. seeing a guy separated in a corner of the field.. trying to hold off against 40 zombies with a sledgehammer, then 3 or 4 guys trying to get to him.. but he just gets swamped, then they get into trouble..

http://www.zombiemaster.org/

Has alot of potential..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sounds like fun. I think i'll give this a go tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yo, i'm running a ZM server and it's quite popular if you guys are interested?

yoclan.com:27045

It's actually quite impressive. ZM has actually had more players and interest then Dystopia, insect infestation and all those other 1 week hl mods combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Deffo sounds like it could be fun. I'll locate this tonight if I can and will visit the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sounds fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like a great stop gap before left 4 dead. Will be giving this a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I dunno if they've updated it since the first public release, but that's the only time I played it. Any of the maps I played had almost no guns/ammo in them, resulting in most players having at best a pistol with 1 clip of ammo and getting utterly raped by the zombies :(

Wasn't much fun. Hope its improved since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Stephen wrote:
    I dunno if they've updated it since the first public release, but that's the only time I played it. Any of the maps I played had almost no guns/ammo in them, resulting in most players having at best a pistol with 1 clip of ammo and getting utterly raped by the zombies :(

Wasn't much fun. Hope its improved since.

Tons of ammo and guns now.. first time I tried i thought it was ****, but that was just a bad server.. its interesting how fast people learn how to stick together when death means you have to wait out the whole round..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do i need HL2 installed to play it ? or will DL DM or DOD S do? Havent bothered installing HL2 in a while but this looks good.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I found this to be kinda boring, maybe it was the lag (even tho it said i have less than 40 ping)... after a couple of rounds there isn't really much new, I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Laggy as **** needs better maps, but good fun its different.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played it briefly last night.... Too rough around the edges for me atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kept ying because of the constant lag. Not a lot of fun at the moment and needs a lot of polish. Shame, it's probably great when it's lag free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

AAhh some servers are dreadful and some maps are nearly unplayable.. make sure to patch it up to latest.. 1.3 I think..

I think its very hit and miss whether you get a good game and a good crowd of people.. I spend alot of time changing servers.. but when you find a decent one it can be alot of fun..

I had a cracking game last night, we'd done everything and were left in the dark on the subway platform waiting for the train, about 4 or 5 of us and piles, I mean piles of zombies coming from both directions, we were basically back to back trying to hold off a few more seconds till the train came, but we just got swamped.. its great for those little movie moments..

Theres another mod called Insect Infestation, where you play as ants and termites.. thats what I love about mods, they can take risks that other games rarely take.. oh and the fact that they are free as well..

Advertisement