Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

King Crimson anyone?

• 26-07-2007 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So yeah, in the spirit of more discussion of Rock, what better way to start than the legendary King Crimson? Truly exceptional band, I have to say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who likes them.

In The Court Of The Crimson King and Red are some of the finest albums to have ever been released in the 70's.

Thoughts?

Here's one of my favourites of theirs:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I must admit, King Crimson are one of those bands that I've heard a lot about, but not a lot of, so I'm not really familiar with their music. Have a lot of time for Tony Levin though, was great to see him play with Peter Gabriel in Marlay Park...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

jasonb wrote:
    I must admit, King Crimson are one of those bands that I've heard a lot about, but not a lot of, so I'm not really familiar with their music. Have a lot of time for Tony Levin though, was great to see him play with Peter Gabriel in Marlay Park...

J.

Ah yeah, Tony Levin's quite a musician. Have you heard him with Liquid Tension Experiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

"Talk to the Wind" and "Moonchild" are genius songs. Never got into "Red"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You say it as if King Crimson stopped in the 70's!

Didn't really think much of Red when i heard it, In the Court of.. is obviously a great album, but I really enjoy listening to In The Wake of Posedion, Discipline and Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With

You say it as if King Crimson stopped in the 70's!

Oh I certainly don't! Granted, I don't have as many of their albums as I'd like, but I do have the rather exceptional Eyes Wide Open DVD, and it amazes me how much the band evolved and continued to progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

My introduction to them was also via TLev, as an aspiring bassist, around the time of Three Of A Perfect Pair. Quite an ear-opener in 1984, compared to what else was around at the time. They would have done a lot more if it wasn't for Robert Fripp's chronic aversion to touring - the way he's talking these days, he'll never tour again, limiting himself to select gigs only.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

They're one band i could never get into, i'd much rather listen to Camel.
    Their ST album and the Snow Goose are masterpieces!

fortuneg wrote:
    They're one band i could never get into, i'd much rather listen to Camel.
    Their ST album and the Snow Goose are masterpieces!

Ah, Camel are phenominal alright. The Snow Goose is probably one of my favourite instrumental albums of all time.

I got In The Court Of The Crimson King on Vinyl recently and listening to it was akin to a religious experiance. I had heard it on CD but the differance between both mediums is extreme.

I also concur that Camel are an excellent band, and yet another great band which never recieved the acclaim they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

So yeah, in the spirit of more discussion of Rock, what better way to start than the legendary King Crimson? Truly exceptional band, I have to say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who likes them.

In The Court Of The Crimson King and Red are some of the finest albums to have ever been released in the 70's.

Thoughts?

Here's one of my favourites of theirs:

king crimson are great - they still found fresh even today.

*adjusts glaases*
    In The Court Of The Crimson King was released in 1969 ;)

• Advertisement

*adjusts glaases*
    In The Court Of The Crimson King was released in 1969 ;)

Ah, it was practically the 70's! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They get three thumbs up from me! I love Fripp's approach to guitar both inside and out of KC, amazing guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just been listening to tracks from Absent Lovers live CD. :) Allways worth a look on youtube as well.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely frickin top notch. Whenever im not sure what to stick on and start scanning through either Ipod or CD's, Court of the crimson king gets the nod more often then anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Just got Red from amazon this morning and wow, its superb, really dense. I only really knew COTCK before and had been meaning to pick up red for years, particullarly when I learned of it being Cobains favorite and , apparently, a big influence on Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era Rush (but it'll take a few more spins for me to parse that as I don't get it yet) the development in 5 years is amazing, I'll have to fill in the intervening years and beyond. Where should I go next? Is it all good or is there stuff to avoid?
    If people dig the jazzy elements of Red I can't recommend The Soft Machine enough, a great, great band from the Canterbury scene that pioneered jazz rock/psych/prog/freakout crossover music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Yeah agree Soft Machine were a great band also remind me of another overlooked band Wishbone Ash. But what about ELP, a lot of masterful music bar a few aberrations here and there.

And YES a much maligned but super group.

Hard to top Led Zep, The Imigrant Song still haunts me!!!

Looking forward to seeing Messrs Page and Plant later this year in Dublin.

MoominPapa wrote:
    Just got Red from amazon this morning and wow, its superb, really dense. I only really knew COTCK before and had been meaning to pick up red for years, particullarly when I learned of it being Cobains favorite and , apparently, a big influence on Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era Rush (but it'll take a few more spins for me to parse that as I don't get it yet) the development in 5 years is amazing, I'll have to fill in the intervening years and beyond. Where should I go next? Is it all good or is there stuff to avoid?

There's nothing a activly avoid rather its a question of what you're ready for!
    The more deliberatly obtuse stuff like The ProjeKcts might be best left till later. To save money/time you can skip thier 80s studio stuff and just buy Absent Lovers, a live double which has all the best bits plus a few 70s tracks.

I mentioned youtube above its a great place to "demo" material.

For an overview check out the Prog Archives

Mike.

Just got a copy of The Construktion of Light which is one of the bands worst reviewed platters. Ignore the critics - its great!

60 mins of driving thumping, angular, jagged edged prog-rockin'. Decided to get it after watching the title track and Prozak Blues on youtube a few dozen times.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

These days, with YouTube etc. we're spoiled for choice - even with a band as unfashionable as KC. Here are some of my favorite of their live videos:

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 1 (1972)
    Easy Money (1973)
    Elephant Talk (1981)
    Discipline (1984)
    Dinosaur (1995)
    Deception of the Thrush (2000)

"Discpline" is the kind of thing that might not get people dancng, but you could never mistake them for any other band... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'm a big fan of the 80's Crimson stuff. Elephant Talk was the first song I heard and haven't looked back since.

Got into them through Adrian Belew, who has a few brilliant albums himself, Lone Rhinoceros, Here, Side 2, Side 3. He's well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Elephant Talk is just great.

I don't know as much of them as I'd like, but I've been meaning to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

apparently only 3 people on lastfm listened to more KC than i did last week :p
    favourite track at the moment is 3 of a Perfect Pair, great song

A mailing list I'm on has been having a big KC discussion all this week so I've been in a real KC mood. Blasting In the Court of the Crimson King now, **** yeah! I only own this and Red though, I need to pick up more of the albums. Might go for Lizard and In the Wake of Poseidon on my way home today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

my favourites after ITCOTCK are Three of a Perfect Pair & Discipline, they'd be what i'd recommend. but its all good! :D

I picked up Lizard (along with a few non-KC albums) but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I know that Tool regard King Crimson as largely influential to their music so I said I'd check them out. Bought In The Wake of Poseidon about three weeks ago and I really like it. Track 4, In the Wake of Poseidon and 6, Cat Food stand out the most. I was wondering which of their other albums people would recommend to progress to?

Get the first one, In the Court of the Crimson King, it's amazing. Also, if you like Tool and King Crimson, check out Peach, the band Justin Chancellor was in prior to Tool. They do a cover of "Cat Food" on their CD, Giving Birth to a Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

This is the band I want to hear more than any other at the moment but nowhere in Galway stocks their CDs, and online shops are not an option currently. Grr.
    Heard so much good stuff about them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement