Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus Engine

Options
  • 26-07-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I have a 99 1.6 petrol ford focus. I may in the coming weeks have to replace the engine with a 2nd hand one as the engine is on its last legs. My question is can I put a newer engine say a 02/03 1.6 engine into my 99 car easily without much trouble? Is the 99 1.6 petrol engine the same as the 1.6 engines made from 00-04?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

the model was facelifted in 2002, and some engines were changed. See if you can get a pre-facelift engine to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

I've been told by a breakers yard that the 02 -04 engines will fit even though they have a different model code. They are physically identical I've been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

From what i've seen from engine conversions you can but it's expensive.

The engine mounts may need to be changed. Newer engines have more computery bits meaning that you may need a new loom for the car or circuit boards etc. If it's not the same capacity as the last one you may need a new gearbox. Ecu may need to be changed, again pending on how Fords do their engines. Tbh if I were you i'd ask on the modified cars forum for the name of a place that specializes in Fords and call them up.

That said i'm no ford expert they may have made it handy to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have no idea.

What's wrong with your current engine?

Got it serviced recently. I told the mechanic that the engine was 'missing'. He did a compression test on all 4 cylinders. One of them was down on pressure, 50 compared to 250 for the others. Theres also a tapping noise from the engine when under strain. Mechanic says that probably the valves are gone in one cylinder and will need replacing and probably piston rings too. Exhaust is smoking now when the tapping happens but mechanic says this is because of the compression test that he did (filled cylinders with oil).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would try and stick to the same engine model myself. The Focus is very popular so surely there is bound to be an identical engine or two knocking around somewhere.

Did you try www.traynors.co.uk? They are based up North but do deliver to the Republic. They usually have a large quantity of parts in stock.

Yeh thats who I've contacted but they've none in stock at the minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's no need for a new engine based on what you've said there.

A rebuild of the current one will do the trick fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If the mechanic did a compression test properly he should be able to tell you whether its bore wear or valve seat wear.

Any oil he put down the bore should have been burned off after a few minutes of starting. Obviously the ticking is related and I would expect a sticky valve or tappet is the cause.

A cylinder head overhaul is more than likely all that is required !

Like the others have said buying an engine from the same era car is far more likely to fit without silly problems !

Yeh he said the valves were wore but I guess until its opened up I wont know for sure. One thing I don't understand is how come its still smokey now (driven about 20 miles) after the compression test and it wasnt when I brought it to him? Possibly the broken valves resulting in not burning the petrol correctly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement