Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DigiWeb Mobile Broadband in Fingal [Opinions]

Options
  • 26-07-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I have 3 mobile BB in Rush Co.Dublin and lately it has become unusable nearly takes ages for pages to load.

Anyway I am looking at the Digiweb mobile service and was wondering if anyone has signed up for this yet. I really need a service I can use for XBOX Live gaming and a bit of downloading and general internet usage.
    So has anyone signed up for it yet and if so can you post some pings to Irish and English servers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I was getting < 45ms ping on Guildwars if that's any help. Actual pings will depend on destination, traffic and network conditions.

It's a new service so not much user feedback. You will need the more expensive option with the included WiFi router (also includes firewall and 4 port 100Mbps Ethernet switch). You would setup a static IP for Xbox and add the Xbox to DMX just like on a ADSL router/WiFi.

It's unlikely any of the 3G PCMCIA card ethernet/WiFi routers in the shops have support for the Digiweb Flash-OFDM card. Routers sold in Finland and Slovakia won't work as DSP firmware loaded to the PCMCIA card is wrong for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why wouldn't DHCP work with the 360? The 360 can work with DHCP.

yes but DMZ you give the router a static IP belong to whatever doesn't need a firewall.

The Static IP is so the 360/ PS2 or whatever is not firewalled, but in DMZ, no ports need to be forwarded.

similarly I give printers static IP as otherwise the printer driver won't work if the printer gets a different IP next time.

And yes I do know about "static" DHCP that uses MAC. If you have less than 10 computers how hard is it to do static IP? Then port forwarding (e.g. Skype ) is simple. The WAN side can independentlty be static or dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ok
    I have ordered this so hopefully Xbox live will work. Thanks for your input watty just out of intrest though your in Limerieck so how did you test this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Let us know how you get on with it. Be very interested to hear.

• Advertisement

Read text under my Avatar.
    There are Satellite dishes everywhere :) Also Limerick people are still allowed to visit Dublin.

Cool Watty cheers, hope I get pings of 45ms (drools) Would beat 3's of 400ms

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I have 3 mobile BB in Rush Co.Dublin and lately it has become unusable nearly takes ages for pages to load.

Anyway I am looking at the Digiweb mobile service and was wondering if anyone has signed up for this yet. I really need a service I can use for XBOX Live gaming and a bit of downloading and general internet usage.
    So has anyone signed up for it yet and if so can you post some pings to Irish and English servers.

just wondering if you decided to opt for this service as i ordered it yesterday and was wondering how good it was for gaming? (pro evo has enough problems of its own without adding poor connection speeds to the list;))

Hmm all I can say is it is OK get download of between 500 -1.1mb on a good day upload is around 512-1mb and pings average around 60ms to boards.
    Would be better if there was a aeriel available as the difference of placing 2 foot in my bedroom can half the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hmm all I can say is it is OK get download of between 500 -1.1mb on a good day upload is around 512-1mb and pings average around 60ms to boards.
    Would be better if there was a aeriel available as the difference of placing 2 foot in my bedroom can half the speeds.

thanks for the feedback psyg, my mate in lusk ordered it too and his arrived yesterday, so he brought it over to my house to show me. :eek: at speedtest.net the ping was never less than 100ms, dl speed MAXED out at about 500!!!! and even the upload was sometimes faster than that. i really hope there is some fiddling that can be done with the router to improve speeds otherwise it looks like i'll be left with a pricey dialup connection. downloads from microsoft.com were never over 15.0kb/s, i'm very worried.

if anyone can shed any light on how to improve performance, please do

• Advertisement
Advertisement