Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conch

Options
  • 26-07-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Does anyone here have their conch pierced? I really want to get it done but I'm a bit apprehensive. I have a bad record with piercings, they don't heal well. I get a big red lump around my tragus, rook and nose piercing (which went anyway thankfully), my helix rejected twice and my lobes still, after 10 years, get inflammed and irritated every now and again. It's really putting me off piercings and for some reason I think if something goes wrong with my conch it'll look really bad.

I was researching it on bmezine and some people were saying that it got quite sore because the extra length on the barbell (for swelling) hung down at the back once the swelling was gone which caused pressure. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm also guessing I won't be able to wear ear-in headphones with it right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Nope, no earphones with the conch,

All the bad luck you are having with piercings makes me think you might actually be allergic to the metal used. Nearly all piercers use surgical steel which has a very low rate of allergy but then again you might be the on who is! Check this with your piercer next time you go by.

Other then that, the only thing I can think of is to keep them clean. I cannot stress enough at how much the first 2 weeks cleaning is vital to a piercing healing correctly. If the first two weeks don't go well, it will heal incorrectly and you'll be left with a dodgy piercing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have 4 conch piercings (one industrial, one bar, and one ring) and I still wear headphones, haha. You might want to avoid them for the initial healing period which I assume is what you meant :)

From my experience they've been easier to heal than my outer cartilage, rook and tragus. My first conch was my easiest and most hassle free piercing ever. I'm healing one another with a bar at the moment, and I have bumped the back of it a bit because I forget it's there... didn't have that problem with a ring, but a ring also has the potential to be more irritating than a bar. But pain wise, they don't hurt that much after they're done. The only time mine have hurt me was when there was a bee in my face and I slapped my ear by accident just a few days after getting it done. It ached for an hour and that was it... stupid me.

If you take care of them, sea salt soaks twice a day during the initial healing period for example, make sure they're placed well and with high quality jewelry to avoid irritation or pressure, don't touch/play with it/sleep on it for as long as possible, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Psht.

I had my conch punched to 4mm and I still wear in ear-phones. Easy.

Now, in saying that, having your conch punched is quite different, pain wise. Punching is SO much more fun, btw. :D

Eh when I had the other pierced, I had no hassle, it was one of my first piercings too. I just found it an unusual feeling and that crunching sound was a bit mad. But all in all, it's a grand ould piercing.

I reckon if ya explain the situation you're having with the materials used, the piercer will prob reccommend titanium or something. make the healing a whole lot easier, if you are allergic to the metal that is.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Thanks for all your help! Really want it done now so I think I'll talk to a piercer about other materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs666

yea try titanium it might work out for ya!!
    i got a feckin punch to the side of the head once and neway, since then my conch has a redish lump/build up behind it looks ****ty but i stil left the piercing in, i think its called a keoilid or sumting like that so just be careful of the ear if you do get it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement