Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heads up: Windscreen chip repair

Options
  • 26-07-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Spotted these folks setting up outside the car accessory shop in the Galway shopping center..
    Sign sez Free windscreen chip repair (subject to insurance)
    So if you got windscreen cover on your policy, you can get your chipped windscreen fixed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's the whole point of windscreen cover. You don't have to pay yourself to get your windscreed fixed or replaced. You can get this done anywhere that does auto glass. They'll deal with your insurance company directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

phutyle wrote:
    That's the whole point of windscreen cover. You don't have to pay yourself to get your windscreed fixed or replaced. You can get this done anywhere that does auto glass. They'll deal with your insurance company directly.

And if you want to change insurance provider for the next 5 years you're screwed, because the first thing they ask:

Have you had any claims in the last 5 years?

Borzoi wrote:
    And if you want to change insurance provider for the next 5 years you're screwed, because the first thing they ask:

Have you had any claims in the last 5 years?

Windscreen claims don't count, and they don't affect your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

phutyle wrote:
    Windscreen claims don't count, and they don't affect your NCB.

Did I say they do?? You're right, on most policies they don't.

However the point is: If you shop around for insurance, you will have had a claim, and so you will find it harder to get a competitive price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Borzoi wrote:

However the point is: If you shop around for insurance, you will have had a claim, and so you will find it harder to get a competitive price.

Don't think any windscreen claim goes on your record.

I have had a few windscreens replaced over the years, and have renewed and switched policy a couple of time alos, it has never been mentioned or had anny effect on my quotes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Borzoi wrote:

Don't think any windscreen claim goes on your record.

I have had a few windscreens replaced over the years, and have renewed and switched policy a couple of time alos, it has never been mentioned or had anny effect on my quotes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A windscreen replacement/chip repair does not affect your NCB. That is why it is offered as 'windscreen cover'. A lot of insurance companies now extend this to glass cover (including the glass roof on a Pug 407 SW!!).

If you tried to process a windscreen chip repair as part of your full comprehensive cover, the claim would be rejected as it would be well below the excess on your policy. Most standard windscreen replacements would also be below the excess.

Borzoi wrote:
    Did I say they do??

No, which is why I included the word "and" to denote that I was supplying supplementary information regarding the NCB.
    Borzoi wrote:

And my point is that a windscreen claim won't count against you. It's not counted as a regular claim. Which is why windscreen cover on most policies has it's own rules (no NCB hit, no excess, limited claim amount, etc).

Advertisement