Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Donovan to fulham, loaned back to Cork

• 26-07-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

From CorkCityFC.ie:
    Cork City and Fulham Agree Transfer of Roy O'Donovan
    Cork City Football Club have reached verbal agreement with Fulham for the transfer of Roy O’Donovan. It is hoped that the transfer will be formally agreed over the next 24 hours. The next stage will be Roy O’Donovan travelling to Fulham early next week to discuss personal terms, and to undergo a medical. Under the terms of the agreement, Roy O’Donovan will be loaned back to Cork City for the remainder of the present season.

According to local radio, worth up to 800k. Excellent deal for us, since we get the transfer fee AND keep Roy, plus on top of that we'll get in the region of 200k compo at the end of the season due to his age when he came to us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good deal for Cork and good to see the fees for players in the League going up and that Premiership clubs are actually coming in for them, not just FL clubs.

We'll have to wait and see if it's the start of a new trend or just one Premiership club spending some of their new money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Excellent deal for City alright, works out well for them as they get to keep their talisman for the season.

This changes things as far as the destination of the title goes too, City are in a stronger position than they might have been.

Well done to the City board on what seems to have been excellent negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

seansouth wrote:
    Well done to the City board on what seems to have been excellent negotiations.

QFT

A lot of city "fans" are far too eager to take pot shots at the chairman and the board when the slightest thing goes wrong.. Now they've negotiated probably he best deal in eL history they should be commended..

Delighted he's staying for the season. now his future's sorted hopefully he'll get his head together again and start doing what he does best. And now he has lawrie sanchez to impress as well do he'll double his efforts.. He'll score 30 goals this season, no doubt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Great deal for us in fairness.

Have them backed to do the double so this is a big shot in the arm.

When was the last time a City player got 20 league goals. Pat Morley??

Great deal for us in fairness.

Have them backed to do the double so this is a big shot in the arm.

When was the last time a City player got 20 league goals. Pat Morley??

morley, the season he came back from shels iirc

• Advertisement

Roy could come close to the 30 mark if the team plays to its potential for the rest of the season.

big shot in the arm.
    What the hell do Pat's have to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    What the hell do Pat's have to do with it?

probably the money in the 1st thread got you thinking about us?

Excellent deal for Cork but tbh i can see him getting battered for the rest of the season and pulling out of every tackle from every player who is going to crucify him, so if he players more than 5 games i be surprised.

More so the deal is superb for Cork because hes not really that good , well done cork :) Bet you have him back by july on a free.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Great piece of business. Hope it works out for the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

fair deal, it's about time English clubs stopped raping Irish clubs blind and to ransom with pathetic transfer fees, i still have nightmares today over Wes Hoolahan being sold for about 150k!

dunno why on earth O'Donovan was loaned back? Good for Cork but it's not good for the player to return to Fulham in January mid-season with competition in the form of Diomansy Kamara, Collins John, Brian McBride and David Healy. Unless 2 of those 4 have long-term injuries O'Donovan will not get a look in, O'Donovan is a great player by eL standards but those 4 are on another level to him.

good riddance anyway to the diving, cheating, arrogant little cnut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

David Healy has a decent record for Northern Ireland, but was barely picked for Leeds last season. Collins John is a championship player at best. Brian McBride is decent and Kamara is very very overpriced. He hardly set the championship alight last season, so i cant see Roy having too bad a time getting into that team. Lawrie Sanchez ia a long ball merchant, Roys game depends on his blistering pace, so all in all he has a decent prospect.

On the deal itself, great business for a player who has just a few months to go on this contract. Not sure what Fulham are up to as they could have just got him on a pre contract agreement and paid about €180k. Not complaining at all, and well done to the City board. Between this and the Benno deal, we will certainly not be caught for mugs anymore.

gimmick wrote:
    David Healy has a decent record for Northern Ireland, but was barely picked for Leeds last season. Collins John is a championship player at best. Brian McBride is decent and Kamara is very very overpriced. He hardly set the championship alight last season, so i cant see Roy having too bad a time getting into that team. Lawrie Sanchez ia a long ball merchant, Roys game depends on his blistering pace, so all in all he has a decent prospect.

On the deal itself, great business for a player who has just a few months to go on this contract. Not sure what Fulham are up to as they could have just got him on a pre contract agreement and paid about €180k. Not complaining at all, and well done to the City board. Between this and the Benno deal, we will certainly not be caught for mugs anymore.

I think fulham were worried that when roy keeps scoring, more clubs would become interested and would lure him away at the end of the season. the fact they've paid so much for him now shows how highly they rate him

it seems sunderland are making a late bid for Roy, they'll match fulhams bid and also loan him back for the rest of the season.. interesting..

So is he good enough for ireland now ? or do we wait till he gets off the plane?

Tough choice for him gonna get relagated either way.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

KdjaCL wrote:
    So is he good enough for ireland now ? or do we wait till he gets off the plane?

Tough choice for him gonna get relagated either way.

kdjac

I know Cork won't win anything this season, but they should avoid relegation. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaCL wrote:

I don't think he'll be good enough till his loan deal is over and he gets the Eircom League out of him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

gimmick wrote:
    David Healy has a decent record for Northern Ireland,

no, he has 29 goals in 56 games.
    thats a better international record than michael owen, Ronaldinho, shevchenko and henry.

thats not a decent record, thats amazing, especially when you take into account he doesnt exactly have great players beside him
    gimmick wrote:
    Kamara is very very overpriced. He hardly set the championship alight last season

aye, 3rd top scorer of the year and into the PFA team of the year, hardly set it alight. Did you want him to save a few penalties as well?

Im all for ROD doing well over there, but i dont think he will walk straight into the team. They will be well settlled by the time november comes around, and he will have had no training with them, as well as probably being knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Keane in for him now, hoping to pull the rug from under Fulham.

aye, 3rd top scorer of the year and into the PFA team of the year, hardly set it alight. Did you want him to save a few penalties as well?

Brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

event wrote:
    no, he has 29 goals in 56 games.
    thats a better international record than michael owen, Ronaldinho, shevchenko and henry.

thats not a decent record, thats amazing, especially when you take into account he doesnt exactly have great players beside him
    The sign of a good player is how good he'll do beside the best players in the world. imo Healy would look out of his depth and struggle badly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roar wrote:
    I think fulham were worried that when roy keeps scoring, more clubs would become interested and would lure him away at the end of the season. the fact they've paid so much for him now shows how highly they rate him

If they got him on a pre contract agreement all they would have to do is sit back and wait till his current contract finished.

The fact he is gona be loaned back when is the earliest he can play for Fulham/Sunderland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eirebhoy wrote:
    The sign of a good player is how good he'll do beside the best players in the world. imo Healy would look out of his depth and struggle badly.

Healy has done well against some of the big teams out there like spain and england.

He is a good player and scoring that many goals at international level no matter who you play against is a class record

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

kearnsr wrote:
    He is a good player and scoring that many goals at international level no matter who you play against is a class record

I disagree. He is an average Championship player and nothing more. I'm betting he will be a total flop in the PL. He has been average at every club team he has played for and there is nothing to indicate that his time at Fulham will be anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Healy is good if you make the team around him, which is what happened for Northern Ireland, and what will happen for Fulham.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I disagree. He is an average Championship player and nothing more. I'm betting he will be a total flop in the PL. He has been average at every club team he has played for and there is nothing to indicate that his time at Fulham will be anything different.

i always felt he was never played in his best position for us.
    KB had a fascination with playing him out wide, never put him up front.
    When played up front properly, he scored goals.
    he was inconsistent at times, but i can never remember him being played for say 15 games up front in a row. If he had been, he'd have scored bucketfuls

Eircom league rules state that Roy cannot be loaned back to City immediately after being sold. I have no idea why this is the case and or the rationale behind it.

Roy did not travel to Fulham for his medical today. He could be a Sunderland player by kick off time this evening in Turners Cross :eek: (not going to happen that quick though)

Re Camara, must have gotten him mixed up with someone else.

gimmick wrote:
    Eircom league rules state that Roy cannot be loaned back to City immediately after being sold. I have no idea why this is the case and or the rationale behind it.

ah thats fúcking stupid?
    why not?
    that mean he will go straight to england now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

event wrote:
    i always felt he was never played in his best position for us.
    KB had a fascination with playing him out wide, never put him up front.
    When played up front properly, he scored goals.
    he was inconsistent at times, but i can never remember him being played for say 15 games up front in a row. If he had been, he'd have scored bucketfuls

I do agree that he wasn't used right at times by us but he is a very lazy player and doesn't put in the effort. It has always been the case with Healy except when playing for Norn Iron. He played up front for Preston and never scored more than 15 goals in a season. For a player that also takes penalties that is a very average amount of goals.

Whatever way you look at it Healy has been very average all throughout his Club career. There is no reason to think that he can cut it in the PL when he has only ever been average at Championship level. It has only been with Norn Iron that he has done well.

It is stupid, but its the eL/FAI so not entirely surprising.

Who knows what will happen, but it suggests to me its straight to England for him, as City cannot really afford to turn their noses up at the money rthats being offered.

It is not just the EL/FAI. Spurs tried to do it to help out a team that were struggling and end up with a good keeper they were going to buy the player and loan him back but it was not allowed.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    must be something to do with FIFA's 2 clubs per season rule

technically, if he rejoined Cork City on loan it would be his 3rd club in one season

Fifa's rule is not two clubs per year it is three, he would still be playing for only two clubs too so that would not effect this move, or so I understand it.

It is not just the EL/FAI. Spurs tried to do it to help out a team that were struggling and end up with a good keeper they were going to buy the player and loan him back but it was not allowed.

I would like to know why not though? if the two clubs are in agreement, whats to stop the FAI, or any other FA, to sanction it? It seems a bit stupid that if say, Bohs wanted to loan him, they could, but City couldnt. Seems daft to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kearnsr wrote:
    Healy has done well against some of the big teams out there like spain and england.

I was replying the comment about his international record being excellent "especially when you take into account he doesnt exactly have great players beside him". If you put him in the Barcelona team he'd be completely out of his depth and struggle to score imo.

Fifa's rule is not two clubs per year it is three, he would still be playing for only two clubs too so that would not effect this move, or so I understand it.
    you're correct to an extent

FIFA's rule states that a player can be registered to a maximum of 3 clubs from July 1 to June 30 the next year but during that period a player can only play in official matches for a maximum of 2 clubs

my question is would O'Donovan's loan move to Cork count as a third club and then if he played for them on loan, would that leave him ineligible to play for Fulham until June 30 2008?

if the above isn't the case then i see no reason why the transfer and subsequent loan deal could not go through, i don't see anything written in FIFA rulebook that would rule the transfer out

gimmick wrote:
    I would like to know why not though? if the two clubs are in agreement, whats to stop the FAI, or any other FA, to sanction it? It seems a bit stupid that if say, Bohs wanted to loan him, they could, but City couldnt. Seems daft to me.

Do you lot ever read the rules or expect them to change to suit, jesus its embarassing at this stage.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    Do you lot ever read the rules or expect them to change to suit, jesus its embarassing at this stage.

Ironic coming from a Pats fan. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    Ironic coming from a Pats fan. :rolleyes:

ironic quoted by a shels fans.

Some of us get away with breaking the rules others dont.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    ironic quoted by a shels fans.

Some of us get away with breaking the rules others dont.

We broke rules and got punished and we took our punishment.

You broke rules (that you voted in) and whinged, appealed, (whinged a lot more) and still moan about it to this day about how you were "robbed". :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    We broke rules and got punished and we took our punishment.

You broke rules (that you voted in) and whinged, appealed, (whinged a lot more) and still moan about it to this day about how you were "robbed". :rolleyes:

As per the rules we appealed and our punishment dropped, but someone else went to the high court to ensure the punishment was reinstated.

So technically we accepted the rules just someone else didnt, took a while but worked out pretty ****ing well in the end.

Sweet god i just reread that "took your punishment " you were off to the high court again literally weeks before.

kdjac

Let it go.

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    As per the rules we appealed and our punishment dropped, but someone else went to the high court to ensure the punishment was reinstated.

So technically we accepted the rules just someone else didnt, took a while but worked out pretty ****ing well in the end.

Sweet god i just reread that "took your punishment " you were off to the high court again literally weeks before.

You only got punished cause you were caught cheating a second time. Helps when your club is in collusion with a league official to cover these things up, doesn't it? And all the while running a villification campaign against another club in the national media.

All Shels wanted was the rules as agreed by all the clubs implemented. Pat's wanted to be allowed to play unregistered players. And you lecturing Cork fans about accepting rules. :rolleyes:

Bohs, Longford, Rovers fans never went on and on about it when they were deducted points, or even us when relegated by the FAI, but precious Pats....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

KdjaCL wrote:
    Big Ears wrote:
    I don't think he'll be good enough till his loan deal is over and he gets the Eircom League out of him :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Actually, no, he's good enough if and when he has proven himself to be one of the best irish strikers at the highest levels there are Irishmen playing. Get over it.

If he's in the next Irish squad on the back of his move it is ridiculous. Not till it's earned. And to stoke old embers, the eircom league just isn't enough.

Anyway its a great deal for Cork, and good luck to the fella. He's going to have a hard enough time of it. Jumping straight into the PL from the EL is going to be alot tougher then jumping into the Championship. That and the fact that he's starting way down the pecking order, could go either way. My gut says he ain't going to be setting the world alight, but who knows.

Edit for spelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks like he's knocked Fulham and is having a chat with Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sunderland signed him today for €500K (rising to €1million).

He signed an 8K p/w contract.

Cheerio to Cork City's league hopes too.

They'll struggle to score a single goal now.

Nice moeny, but it means feck all if the team is shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

SeanSouth is right about us. Roy was our only serious threat upfront. Now he's gone, we don't have anyone :confused:

Behan is a decent enough player, always grafts hard but doesn't have the flair or eye for goal that Roy had. McSweeney doesn't look like he can make it as a player. That only leaves us with O' Flynn, seems to be issues with his fitness at the moment though.

SeanSouth is right about us. Roy was our only serious threat upfront. Now he's gone, we don't have anyone :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unattached_footballers

Your new shopping basket, should have signed someone really tho last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Atle_Larsen
    *giggle*

If Anto Flood is now a shels legend this guy is pure gold to Cork

kdjac

Zebra3 wrote:
    You only got punished cause you were caught cheating a second time. Helps when your club is in collusion with a league official to cover these things up, doesn't it? And all the while running a villification campaign against another club in the national media.

LOL which league official, the one who was paid by a certain clubs chairman for the info in the 1st place or the one who had a vested interest in pats?

kdjac

Behan is a decent enough player, always grafts hard but doesn't have the flair or eye for goal that Roy had. McSweeney doesn't look like he can make it as a player. That only leaves us with O' Flynn, seems to be issues with his fitness at the moment though.

Behan is not good enough.

Substitute player at best.

Well John O Flynn is supposedly 'fit' again so all our prayers are answered.

Rico has stated once again he wont be bringing in anyone to replace Roy as he would need £500k to do so! He says he cannot identify any player in the eL to improve our squad. Honesltly, who does he think he is fooling at this point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement