Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont boards.ie believe in free speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Try the Thunderdome: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

The regulars in there will love you.

Or else just go away if you hate the place so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ok then, do boards.ie have a fun forum or something?
    The Thunderdome and The Cuckoos Nest are probably what you're after.

Although, "fun" wouldn't be the first word I'd apply personally...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ack, the whingeing feckers have spread. Bad enough reading their sh*te in the Cork forum (along much the same lines), now they're branching out!

How about anyone who thinks PROC is any good just goes here until their glorious haven for the unfettered talking of complete bollocks is restored? Then the rest of us won't have to be distracted by this sort of rubbish. (Although talk about being a gift-thread for the cat macro fans :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

hahaha!

funny_cat_pictures_331.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sure WUMS can be a laugh, dont take life so ****ing seriously moron.

STFU and go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I wasn't too fond of this place when I first found it, but I grew to like it over time.

Freedom of speech does not exist in Ireland.
    Boards.ie is an Irish owned site.
    Freedom of speech does not exist on boards.ie.

Stick around and it might grow on you.
    Otherwise, just go and anoy people on another site.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well, since you're asking for my opinion i think ye have gone a bit OTT with the amount of forums, its like a ghost town in some.

Does that mean you won't be supporting the request for a Dublin 15 Community forum? Sure if you change your mind you'll find a link in my sig.

Went and had a look at that PROC place (as a good Dublin lad I wouldn't be seen dead there normally!), and this is what I found as the most recent thread:

Could you use diarrhoea as lube if you were porking a bird with a really dry fanny?

Now seriously, if that's typical of the standard of the place I'm starting a request for a Build a Wall Around Cork forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Very good point i do bitch and moan allot about boards not allowing free speech but ye, its servers are based in ireland and in ireland the majority of the population have a problem with free speech (morons the lot of ya (not people here just the general majoirty ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

User45701 wrote:
    its servers are based in ireland
    It wouldn't matter even if the servers weren't. Boards is an Irish registered company, and as such liable to Irish law no matter if the servers were on the moon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

zaph wrote:
    Now seriously, if that's typical of the standard of the place I'm starting a request for a Build a Wall Around Cork forum.

Sweet Christ, if everyone in Cork is to be judged by the standards of the morons that frequent/overrun PROC, we'll barely have time to hear the whistling of the incoming neutron bombs.

There are good things about PROC. Its forum and associated members are not among them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

seamus wrote:
    Posts are removed mainly if they are:

1. Advertising
    2. Abusive (even then we'll rarely remove it).
    3. Libellous
    4. Illegal

Apart from that, almost anything goes.

It may be the main reason why these posts get removed, but the reasons many posts get locked are beyond me. I think all the chat about getting sued etc is a smokescreen. Most of the locked threads I've seen don't contain anything libellous. Most people I've seen banned haven't been banned for anything that, to any reasonable person, would land boards.ie in court. If boards were really that concerned about ending up in the dock, surely they would pick moderors with a knowledge of the legal system, as opposed to people who know about comics and transformers and stuff like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tallaght01 wrote:
    It may be the main reason why these posts get removed, but the reasons many posts get locked are beyond me. I think all the chat about getting sued etc is a smokescreen. Most of the locked threads I've seen don't contain anything libellous. Most people I've seen banned haven't been banned for anything that, to any reasonable person, would land boards.ie in court. If boards were really that concerned about ending up in the dock, surely they would pick moderors with a knowledge of the legal system, as opposed to people who know about comics and transformers and stuff like that?

hmm smoke screen, no, reactionary maybe. I liked the care free days of yore, but those days are gone. Last I heard boards was being sued by a certain event organiser, now since there's been no word of that having being resolved I'm going to presume that boards is still being sued.

Boston wrote:
    hmm smoke screen, no, reactionary maybe. I liked the care free days of yore, but those days are gone. Last I heard boards was being sued by a certain even organiser, now since there's been no word of that having being results I'm going to presume that boards is still be sued.
    Indeed.
    Tallaght01, have you read the stickies at the top of every forum?

Thread are locked for a multitude of reasons, not just legal ones.
    Sometimes they just descend into ridiculous bickering and end up disrupting the place and making it less enjoyable for others.
    Sometimes they are pointless in the first place.
    Sometimes they are subjected to baiting and trolling.
    Sometimes they have cats.
    I could go on and on.

Personally, I am not a fan of locking threads, but occasionally it has to be done to keep the place in order.
    I enjoy being a Mod, but sometimes it pisses me off completely because I feel the need to lock a thread and stifle discussion. However, I feel that it is mainly the fault of a minority of people who get a kick out of being assholes.
    They are the ones who ruin it for everyone else and are the cause of the majority of locked threads.

I personally feel that a lot of thread locking is for rubbish reasons. I don't believe that it's usually the fault of the users. Sometimes it is. Very often it's an active thread closed on the whim of a mod. I'm more inclined to read a thread if it's locked though, crazy rebel that I am.

Presumably locking threads doesn't mean you can't be sued.

As per usual, I dont understand Boston's point. Because boards is being sued, this means that we should lock threads with no libelous content? Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hi im new here, im basically using this cause i cant access the Peoples Republic of Cork site from work. Anyway im really put off by the number of moderators in each thread and the idea that a thread can be locked just because someone has a dissenting view. Whats the story with this? It just makes things very difficult and results in a borefest of a forum.
    Why don't you believe that this site should have free speech?

ZOMG!!!! We're being oppressed!! Fascist!!!!!!!111!!!ONE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tallaght01 wrote:
    As per usual, I dont understand Boston's point. Because boards is being sued, this means that we should lock threads with no libelous content? Fair enough.

Well, frankly, who are you to determine if a thread has libelous content? I'm not in a position to make that call, neither are you. Some of the Smods are in a position to say certain post are a potential risk, and they act accordingly.

Boston wrote:
    Well, frankly, who are you to determine if a thread has libelous content? I'm not in a position to make that call, neither are you. Some of the Smods are in a position to say certain post are a potential risk, and they act accordingly.

I'm prety sure some bloke starting a thread asking if he should ask a bird out before he leaves his job isn't libellous. I'll get the attorney general onto it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sometimes thread in PI get locked at the request of the op who will have pmed the mods of that forum.

tallaght01 wrote:
    I personally feel that a lot of thread locking is for rubbish reasons. I don't believe that it's usually the fault of the users. Sometimes it is. Very often it's an active thread closed on the whim of a mod. I'm more inclined to read a thread if it's locked though, crazy rebel that I am.

Presumably locking threads doesn't mean you can't be sued.

Have you ever thought of asking a particular mod why s/he has locked a certain thread?
    I'm prety sure some bloke starting a thread asking if he should ask a bird out before he leaves his job isn't libellous. I'll get the attorney general onto it though
    Can you link to the thread in question?
    I believe it was in AH, but I don't recall it being locked.

Terry wrote:
    Have you ever thought of asking a particular mod why s/he has locked a certain thread?

Can you link to the thread in question?
    I believe it was in AH, but I don't recall it being locked.

1) Yes

2) absoloutely not :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Atari Jaguar tbh ...

Someone mentioned neutron bombs? Best idea I've heard all week ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Lemming wrote:
    Atari Jaguar tbh ...

Someone mentioned neutron bombs? Best idea I've heard all week ...
    I wish I was a neutron bomb.
    daveirl wrote:
    For the record I can count on one hand the number of times per year I do anything moderator related other than delete spam.
    I hate you.
    tallaght01 wrote:
    2) absoloutely not :P
    Help us to help you?

Ok. I'll look for it myself. Can't be buried too much. It was only a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Terry wrote:
    Ok. I'll look for it myself. Can't be buried too much. It was only a couple of days ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124452

Karoma locked it because it was cross-posted. Which was fair enough tbh. The user had already started the same thread in the correct place which was PI and really we don't need people putting a copy of every thread they start on another forum in AH for the sake of traffic.

Damn you.
    I had just found it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Too slow, old man. ;)

Yeah, thank god you closed that thread. Otherwise the kid might have been able to get some help from a wider group of people, for a situation we've all been in.

Thank god you knocked that on the head.

I take back everything I've said about excessive moderation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The Personal Issues forum has over 8,000 threads, seven moderators to cope with the volume of traffic and nearly 60,000 views of the sticky threads (40,000 of which are on the STI clinics in Ireland sticky).

There is more than enough traffic on that forum to allow the OP to get a response to his question. More specifically, taking the piss out of the OP would be tolerated on After Hours, and actively discouraged on Personal Issues.

But it is nice that out of the hundreds of thousands of threads on boards.ie, you found one to support your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

if this site wasnt strictly moderated id say with in a few days it would be impossible to find anything you were looking for. If your posting things they would not be answered or you would just get stupid replies. If you look at other sites that dont have active mods there useless.

Good job Mods :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

zaph wrote:
    Does that mean you won't be supporting the request for a Dublin 15 Community forum? Sure if you change your mind you'll find a link in my sig.

Went and had a look at that PROC place (as a good Dublin lad I wouldn't be seen dead there normally!), and this is what I found as the most recent thread:

Could you use diarrhoea as lube if you were porking a bird with a really dry fanny?

hahahaha, poetry in motion!

Advertisement