Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont boards.ie believe in free speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Hi im new here, im basically using this cause i cant access the Peoples Republic of Cork site from work. Anyway im really put off by the number of moderators in each thread and the idea that a thread can be locked just because someone has a dissenting view. Whats the story with this? It just makes things very difficult and results in a borefest of a forum.

Seems to me that your issue isn't the lack of free speech on boards but rather the fact that boards is not the exact same as the proc.
    There's a very easy solution to that problem - just read the proc forum and don't read boards.ie. That way you won't have to stress about both forums not being identical.

Instead of moaning here you could perhaps post in the Tech forum asking for suggestions on how to use proxy servers to gain access to the proc at work.
    Indeed you could even post on the proc tech forum asking the same question (assuming that your query doesn't get drowned in wummery there ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

DeepBlue wrote:
    Instead of moaning here you could perhaps post in the Tech forum asking for suggestions on how to use proxy servers to gain access to the proc at work.
    Indeed you could even post on the proc tech forum asking the same question (assuming that your query doesn't get drowned in wummery there ;) ).

Or maybe the OP could actually do some work in work to alleviate his boredom?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

DeepBlue wrote:

Yep. Or, failing that, the Bebo PROC community might also assuage the OPs urge to participate in a forum where posting drivel is not just tolerated but actively encouraged.

I'm surprised at the restrained amount of cats that this non-issue of a thread has been subjected to, tbh.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fysh wrote:
    I'm surprised at the restrained amount of cats that this non-issue of a thread has been subjected to, tbh.

Here you go then, especially for the OP

1185211632-1185040315927.t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This thread:

downhillslide.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Because, depending on what people say, it can land boards in a lot of legal trouble.

We don't have absolute free speech in Ireland anyway, and if you were to publically libel someone, then they could sue you. Under Irish law, boards.ie is solely responsible for what's posted on it, not the user.
    Sorry this is off topic, but do Boards moderators gets paid? If you manage to prevent legal wrangles, surely you are rewarded in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No payment for us, people getting the same enjoyment out of the site as we do is rewards enough (at least in my opinion). *plays violin* :)

kelle wrote:
    Sorry this is off topic, but do Boards moderators gets paid? If you manage to prevent legal wrangles, surely you are rewarded in some way?

Nope. We do it because we love boards. ;)

Preventing legal wrangles is only a small part of being a mod though, mostly it's cleaning up spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Nope. We do it because we love boards. ;)

Preventing legal wrangles is only a small part of being a mod though, mostly it's cleaning up spam.
    And are you given a timetable at the beginning of the week of when you are expected to be moderator, or is it a case of whenever you're free just log on and do your bits and pieces. The PI issues requires lots of moderators - what if they all went on holiday the same week and had no access to a PC?

kelle wrote:
    And are you given a timetable at the beginning of the week of when you are expected to be moderator, or is it a case of whenever you're free just log on and do your bits and pieces.

It's a lot more casual. Moderators are just acting as regular users most of the time, talking about things, posting on threads, then if we see something that needs sorting out, or it's reported to us, we deal with it.
    kelle wrote:
    The PI issues requires lots of moderators - what if they all went on holiday the same week and had no access to a PC?

Normally, they'll just let the admins know that they're going to be away for however long, and if there's a need, the admins can appoint some extra moderators for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

kelle wrote:
    And are you given a timetable at the beginning of the week of when you are expected to be moderator, or is it a case of whenever you're free just log on and do your bits and pieces. The PI issues requires lots of moderators - what if they all went on holiday the same week and had no access to a PC?

Then I'm asked to step in. I'm equivalent to 6 moderators. The last time it happened the seventh level of hell was opened up and the un-dead began to walk the earth, scary times I can tell you.

Yeah, sometimes they get that Boston fellow to do it, but only when things get really dire, only in serious emergencies. He's too powerfull for regular mod duties, y'see?

I hear Boston is 12 stories tall and made of radation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

shhh, he'll kick you apart

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not all mods are like that. But I do agree that this site is to heavily moderated. I've been to otherforums where there were no mods and it worked fine.
    Boards.ie has been brought to court, sued, threatened to be shut down... so no, a mod-free boards.ie would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote:
    Boards.ie has been brought to court, sued, threatened to be shut down... so no, a mod-free boards.ie would not work.

sad-cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

This is how many pages? about what?

Trolling becomes an art for some people, for others a reason to defend.

Excuse me, I'm going back to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Boards does believe in free speech, just not for you.

Now step away from the keyboard or I'll have to send the lads around to raise your voice a couple of octaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah Boards does believe in freespeech about some topics and Political Parties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah, makes me not wanna post here though. Know any good forums urself? PM me.

So don't?

Wasn't arsed reading the whole thread to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Most if not all people who piss and moan about free speech either end up wanting to publish something libellous or racist, and piss and moan about free speech when it is removed.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Make a blog and link it from here (even in your sig!), then you can say what you like. And we can all collectively ignore it.

Jobs Oxo!

DeV.

ps: If we really were censorous, wouldnt the first thing we cut be threads complaining about our oppressive nature? You havent had this thread cut, nor been banned so I think you are disproving your own point by making it. Hoist by your own retard!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I wish to complain that there is not enough cat pictures in this thread. Its a disgrace by page 6 any normal feedback thread should be covered in cats. I blame Dev and ecksor and their oppressive manners for this lack of felines (they obviously are biased towards canines!).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I concur. I even prompted after page 1, but the flow of cats was frankly disappointing.

gandalf wrote:
    I wish to complain that there is not enough cat pictures in this thread. Its a disgrace by page 6 any normal feedback thread should be covered in cats. I blame Dev and ecksor and their oppressive manners for this lack of felines (they obviously is biased towards canines!).

It's only page 3 by my count. You have an inferior amount of replies per page it seems.

Here's a cat though:

cat_in_case.jpg

DeVore wrote:
    Make a blog and link it from here (even in your sig!), then you can say what you like. And we can all collectively ignore it.

Jobs Oxo!

DeV.

Even about Bertie?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Irish1, I've no idea where you are dragging this thread off topic to... if you have a blog, say what you feel like. We have certain rules to avoid sig-spam other then that, I dont much care what you say or do on your patch of the internet.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Irish1, I've no idea where you are dragging this thread off topic to... if you have a blog, say what you feel like. We have certain rules to avoid sig-spam other then that, I dont much care what you say or do on your patch of the internet.

DeV.
    Thats cool its just there is a hold on discussing certain topics about Bertie in the Politics forum and I wasn't sure if I posted there about other topics and had a link in my sig to a blog talking about Bertie at same time if that would be ok or not, so it would be ok?

Its just I don't want to give the mods any excuse to ban me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

irish1 wrote:
    Thats cool its just there is a hold on discussing certain topics about Bertie in the Politics forum and I wasn't sure if I posted there about other topics and had a link in my sig to a blog talking about Bertie at same time if that would be ok or not, so it would be ok?

Its just I don't want to give the mods any excuse to ban me.
    Providing your link is tasteful and discreet, there's no problem with that.

yeah so long as your link doesnt read "BERTIE IS A BIG FAT PEADOPHILE; READ ABOUT IT HERE".... I dont care what you host/serve. We are not, as yet, responsible for the entire internet :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Damn there goes my title! Cheers

Advertisement