Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTAIV Better on 360.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I don't see the big deal here, what he said was pretty obvious. The 360 has more content, why wouldn't you buy it for the 360 if you own both or want to get one just for GTA? Plus, R* probably make a nice little sum of money (on top of the pre-payment) from any DLC they sell, so why wouldn't they point people in that direction?

If it was technically better on one system, it would be slightly more eyebrow raising, but this is null news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

EG's headline is a bit sensational (check out the comments if you want a laugh) but R* have said the ps3 version is a couple of weeks behind, they still haven't released any confirmed screenshots from it, plus the last trailer and recent demos were all done on the 360. So I suspect the 360 version may end up being a little more polished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

At the risk of sounding like an MS fanboy, but damn am i glad i didn't fork out on that 700 euro paper-weight! :D

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Meh, the game will run better on the PS3,

Much more important than DLC that is pretty much useless

"During an interview with our partners in crime at Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar's creative vice president Dan Houser was asked: "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."
    "

Only the 360 core system will be getting dumped pretty soon so every 360 will have a hard disk, as for bragging about blu-ray. I'll take that at value when Sony ride with a format that lasts longer than a year or two..

UMD or minidisk anyone? ;)
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think dvd will be a limitation for GTA just yet. San Andreas was huge and it didn't even fill half a dvd. GTA III was less than 1GB afaik. It might limit how much music they could include though. Right now the only games really benefiting from Bluray's extra storage space are Japanese RPGs which have loads of cut-scenes.

The lack of a hdd in Core systems is a problem imo but games can still make use of the hdd as a cache if it's there, it just means they have to work without one as well, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

UMD or minidisk anyone? ;)

UMD sales have gone up weirdly in the last few months afaik, and minidisk is the standard format for radio, and generates a tidy profit for sony every year...

probably should have said betamax there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I know that the PS3 is `currently` an undeniable waste of space, but there's a good line of hits coming its way for Christmas (tis' the season), and amungst my favorites are GTA IV and MGS 4. And I'm not a Sony, nor an XBox "fanboy", because I love both system for each own unique ways. I have an XBox, 360, PSOne, PS2, PSP and hopefully a PS3 while Christmas comes... but metinks PS3 has alot to offer up against the 360 still IMO.

But back to the point... GTA IV is going to be the same on each console, end of. But I'd rather get mine on the PS3 because I always played GTA 3D games on a PlayStation and I don't want to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BENJAMIN61

is it better on the 360

BENJAMIN61 wrote:
    is it better on the 360

No

• Advertisement

As WellyJ said,"No". They are going to be the exact same, it's just the case of which console you prefer to get it on.

Nailz wrote:
    As WellyJ said,"No". They are going to be the exact same, it's just the case of which console you prefer to get it on.

Pretty much what he said. A hard disk or a blu-ray drive won't make a game look or play any better. It will speed up loading times, and thats about it. Which can only be a good thing as PS2 loading times were horrible compared to Xbox 1 versions of GTA.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

blu ray drives could hold better textures etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

whats the difference:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Jakkass wrote:
    blu ray drives could hold better textures etc.
    Doubt it, the ram would be a bigger limiting factor than storage space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bizarre Creations were talking about the struggle to fit Project Gotham Racing 4 onto a single DVD. Bizarre confirmed on its forum that you won't see different times of day in each of PGR4's racing locations.
    This involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for their dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD

now on the other hand

Take a look at Lair, for example, already pushing 25GB of content, and that is a first-generation title. At 50GB storage capacity, Blu-ray gives the PS3 plenty of headroom for developers to fully realise their visions well into the future.

and to rockstar

Rockstar is crafting a brand new franchise exclusively for PlayStation 3
    due to blu-ray as well as the next gta game with will for sony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Doubt it, the ram would be a bigger limiting factor than storage space.

That really depends on how they use the RAM really. You could have a streaming 20 gig texture divided up to show in RAM, but you'd need to hold the texture on the disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Varik wrote:
    and to rockstar

Completely base less, all they said was they are making a PS3 exclusive game.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    What he said, it was dealt with R* and Sony that they have a game directly exclusive to the PS3. No names, no detail that all they said...

Varik wrote:
    Bizarre Creations were talking about the struggle to fit Project Gotham Racing 4 onto a single DVD. Bizarre confirmed on its forum that you won't see different times of day in each of PGR4's racing locations.
    This involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for their dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD

now on the other hand

Take a look at Lair, for example, already pushing 25GB of content, and that is a first-generation title. At 50GB storage capacity, Blu-ray gives the PS3 plenty of headroom for developers to fully realise their visions well into the future.

and to rockstar

Bizarre Creations are just being lazy,

Why not ship it with 2 discs, and allow people with the HDD to copy the extra textures over from disc 2.

It's just an excuse to save them time and money.

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote:
    What he said, it was dealt with R* and Sony that they have a game directly exclusive to the PS3. No names, no detail that all they said...

To be honest, who really cares about this?

It could be another State Of Emergency heap of ****.

Just cos its R* doesnt mean its gonna be good.

Although here's hoping, may give me a reason to actually play my PS3!

Regarding PGR4, Bizarre have since denied that DVD storage is a limitation and blamed the whole thing on fanboy rumours. The game will have day/night in each race. Take that how you may.

While bluray's extra storage space is definitely an advantage, I don't think it's as significant a one as many on the Sony side might suggest. Certainly not right now anyway. You can't just compare how much storage some PS3 developer says they're using unless you can also explain what's using all that space. I mean games didn't suddenly balloon from 5/6GB to 25GB for no reason. Half that content is probably been taken up by cut scenes and it's also probably uncompressed due to bluray's slower access times.

In any case there's several relatively painless ways around the problem. Multiple discs, higher compression, loading on to the hdd, etc. Sony and their fans are obviously eager to justify bluray's inclusion in the PS3 but have yet to do really do so imo. There are all sorts of limitations facing both consoles, this is just one of them.

The thing is I'd say. Bluray is just emerging. The technology exceeds the need for it and it won't be really utilised until roughly the end of the PS3's life. It was like dual-layered DVD and the PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bizarre have not denied that DVD storage is a limitation they have only said why there will be no night/day in the game as their having more tracks with only one time than less with time changes, this is better but they are still limited by dvd and had to make it like this, hdd can't be use to fix problems as not everyone has one and mutiple dics wont work for the many reasons
    Bizarre said on the forum.mutiple dics will work for other games but not ones like this.Both next gen are faster and can do more with the games and hd both these have a large effect on disc size.

Varik wrote:
    Bizarre have not denied that DVD storage is a limitation they have only said why there will be no night/day in the game as their having more tracks with only one time than less with time changes, this is better but they are still limited by dvd and had to make it like this,
    See here:

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/article.php?article_id=5257

"DVD size is absolutely not a factor that we consider when designing our games... and PGR4 is no exception. DVD9 gives us more than we need to create a fabulous experience for you guys [...] We've never had to cut content to fit on the disc, and we probably never will."

Sounds like a denial to me. They also say here that the game will have a "dynamic weather system" instead of two fixed times of day.

keep this in relation to GTA and Rockstar please

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭madmarco245

This Xbox and PS3 thing is like the Ferrari and McLaren battle currently going on. You have to realise that Sony have been the chief protagonists of the GTA series, considering the PC and Xbox versions were like the third party releases. There was no real differnce between them. Imho Microsoft are getting a bit desperate. $50million for 2 little missions? Sony are playing it pretty cool, havn't heard much from them. Either they're hiding something, or they're very confident. Either way, special mission or not, the game is gonna rock. I think there should be a rule against these types of threads, how can we tell which is better? Almost a year before release. And with no PS3 screenshots to compare? I am no fanboi, but I have to say, why trust this little shard of an unreliable "source".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

First of all...
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Thats what Rockstar said, however Sony said..
    we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3

You can view the whole post here

Now back on topic, which version will be better?

Well there seems to be an agrument against each console version, the 360's disk space and the development difficulty with the PS3. Well, considering that R* are not only making a new franchise for the PS3, but also a new game (LA Noire), that would suggest that they aren't struggling too much with the console.

As for the 360's disk space, while a rumour did suggest this a month or so back, there is no evidence to back it up. Which is the best? We can only speculate until we have seen PS3 screens, though i expect both versions to look identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

360 version of GTAIV > PS3 version of GTAIV

end of story

• Advertisement

danbhala wrote:
    360 version of GTAIV > PS3 version of GTAIV

end of story
    :rolleyes: No, wrong. For the final time, they're going to be the same. It only depends on what console you rather.

i just wanted my €0.02 to be simple, correct and to the point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

danbhala wrote:
    i just wanted my €0.02 to be simple, correct and to the point

But it wasn't correct :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nailz wrote:
    :rolleyes: No, wrong. For the final time, they're going to be the same.

Wrong WellyJ says it will be better on the ps3 and I believe him! (not sure why)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53661796&postcount=5

tuxy wrote:
    Wrong WellyJ says it will be better on the ps3 and I believe him! (not sure why)

Round and round and f*cking round.
    Why don't we just wait til the game comes out, and maybe then decide? Rather than debate on if it will be better on an established machine vs newbie machine with a total of five games out for it? :confused:

The PS2, PC and Xbox versions of the previous ones played exactly the same (minus to boathouse glitch on VC for XB and PS2), so the subtle difference would probably be graphics, and if anyone is shallow enough to let that get in the way of a good game, then just bin your PC or games console now!

VR!

tuxy wrote:

Thanks for the blind faith you place in me :D

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:

That's because he prefers the PS3, fair play, and so do I. But not everyone prefers it on the PS3. Some rather it on the Xbox. You just made my point! No offence WellyJ.

Nailz wrote:
    That's because he prefers the PS3, fair play, and so do I. But not everyone prefers it on the PS3. Some rather it on the Xbox. You just made my point! No offence WellyJ.

What??

I don't prefer the PS3 at all.

I use my 360 far more,

But I feel GTA should be played on the PS3.

Could never like the XBOX versions of Vice City and 3 like I did on the PS2

Never felt as good to play.

I'm guessing it will be the same this generation

WellyJ wrote:
    What??

im guessing the ps3 version will be a joke

danbhala wrote:
    im guessing the ps3 version will be a joke

Why?

im biased. i just dont like the ps3. rubbish online capabilities. nothing in comparison to the 360.

plus, we'll have all that episodic content which will be pretty cool to get every once and a while. it'll keep on making the game fresh every time extra missions are released. so when you've finish the game on the ps3 and you've got nothing else to do, 360 owners will be ploughing the extra content

• Advertisement

danbhala wrote:
    im biased. i just dont like the ps3. rubbish online capabilities. nothing in comparison to the 360.

Ah, so you are a fanboy.

Nice, hard to take your opinion seriously though sorry.

Being an xbox 360 owner for the past year and a bit, it hasn't let me down once yet. My problem with the PS3 (bearing in mind that i am a PS2 owner as well) is that everything that it's attempting to boast (big hard drive, blu-ray) isn't doing much to improve gameplay. The graphics look nice enough, provided you have the HDTV to run the capabilities. The price they were asking for a PS3 for it's performance is ridiculous. In my opinion it's not really worth getting at this point in time especially for GTA IV. No game is worth paying 600 quid for a console, i don't care how much of a fan anyone is of any series of games (be it GTA, Final Fantasy, or whatever). Thats crazy money

Now one year from now when the price drops and more games come out for it... thats another story ;)

VR!

WellyJ wrote:
    What??

I don't prefer the PS3 at all.

I use my 360 far more,

But I feel GTA should be played on the PS3.

Oh I'm sorry about the clarity of my post, as I didn't mean that. I ment the you prefer GTA on the PS3, I share the same view. But it really is just going to be the same. You and I are perfect examples of what I said in an earlier post, "it's just the case of which console you prefer to get it on", in our case PS3. But not everybody thinks so.

WellyJ wrote:
    What??

Sorry this might seem like a stupid question. I never played vice city on ps2 or xbox. What was the difference in the two versions?

Feel of the game.

Nailz wrote:
    Feel of the game.

You mean it was psychological more then anything you could point out?

tuxy wrote:
    Sorry this might seem like a stupid question. I never played vice city on ps2 or xbox. What was the difference in the two versions?

Xbox 1 version had better graphics (which with emulation, looked even better on the 360), it also had mp3 playback support due to having a hard disk in it.

I actually preferred the feel of the game, if we're talking about the controller end of it. I always hated the feel of those Playstation controllers! Xbox/360 ones were a lot more comfortable.

Again, strictly my opinion on the controller side.
    VR!

tuxy wrote:
    You mean it was psychological more then anything you could point out?
    Yy-yeah I suppose so... ehhmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Both version are set to be identical to each other. The only difference being, that the 360 is getting some extra downloadable content.

Yes true, they are identical. But just for some reason I couldn't play it on an Xbox it was always the PS2 for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement