Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency trading in a small way

• 26-07-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I work in the UK and I live in Ireland. I want to purchase a house in Ireland but my income is inside a STG account, if I change it at the bank or withdraw though the ATM I get a terrible exhange rate. I have looked into FOREX and ways of changing the currency myself.

My knowledge of trading is non-existent, as you have probably already noticed. Any advice out there. I was thinking of only working in DOllars, Euro and Stg to begin with and I would do it out of interest and to save a few quid every month.

Higgs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Hi Dave,

Basically, I will be building in the South of Ireland and I work in the North, so I will have a mortgage in euros and an income in STG. I am currently changing the sterling income through my bank into euros and the rate is, lets say not that great.

By cutting out the profit the bank is getting, I was wondering if there was any point in spending time looking into the FOREX, I could then move my money then myself when the rate is at its best and as said previously without the banks cut.

I would be interested to hear what you think.

Higgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Higgsy wrote:
    I could then move my money then myself when the rate is at its best
    Would love to know how you determine when the rate is at it's best.

If your able to predict this then pack in the day job and trade fx full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Hi,

Maybe I am looking at this a bit too simple for your liking but the average over the last few years is what 1.45. If I try to buy euros in a bank with stg, I will be lucky to get 1.42/43.

This is what I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

So in summary, are you trying to trade at the best price (i.e a the top) or just a better price?

How much are we talking about here, a few pips either way isn't going to make much of a difference if your talking around a few grand a month.

• Advertisement

FOREX is the most volatile market out there.. and the transaction costs are prob gonna wipe out any savings you make.

You're best bet is probably just to go with the bank,

Advertisement