Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is There Always A Bit Of A Kick On Releasing A Hydraulic Clutch ?

Options
  • 26-07-2007 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

7 y.o. Corolla, 70,000 miles.

One thing I do not like in this is the bit of a kick as the hydraulic clutch is released. Even with close control of clutch release it is still there.
    I'm not planning any fast getaways but this aspect does make the car harder to drive smoothly and can't be good for the car's gearbox either.

Mechanic says it's fine, okay, etc.
    But I'm not so sure.

Any ideas, folks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Doesn't sound normal. But that doesn't mean it's not OK to drive. If you want to have thorough inspection of the clutch it may involve removing the gearbox which will cost a few quid. I'd be inclined to let the fault 'develop'.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

by kick do you mean it's behaving as if you're taking your foot off the pedal too fast after changing gear?

does it try creeping forward in first gear with foot on clutch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Well and good.
    But after it has 'developed' I'll maybe be looking at a new gearbox and new clutch.
    Could a preliminary look-in save any of that ?

Cormac - it's not like that. No creeping forward when clutch is down.
    Rather it is slow to engage, the bite-point seems a bit high-up - or maybe a sort of slackness within the gearbox, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

While I haven't seen the car, I doubt it's a gearbox fault - it sounds like a clutch fault, imo. If you do have the gearbox removed you might be better off to get the clutch replaced as well rather than having to do it again at a later stage.

Yeah, Crosstownk.
    Local UK mechanic says much the same. Not leaking from hydraulic circuit, engine mounts secure enough, no slipping, will cost €250 labour to look into it and 120 to replace clutch - so better suffer it out until I get a hoist and do labour myself.

Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Could simply be the clutch slave cylinder is on its way out - the rubber seal inside can develop a "lip" which causes a blip to be felt through the pedal.

Have a look at the little rubber bellows on the cylinder and see if it's soggy (with brake/clutch fluid). If it is, that's your problem - slave cylinders are only about 30 or 30 quid.

That was the first thing the UK mechanic looked for, as he said it was a common problem on Corollas. But it was okay he reckoned.

Advertisement