Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sick.

Options
  • 26-07-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I hate that feeling you get when one of your dogs that normally follows your every move and is there like clockwork to greet you each morning is suddenly absent.

That's what happened this morning with my little collie who yesterday was her usual bubbly self. I found it strange that she was not with the dobies and could not find her anywhere.

I knew she could not have broken out as she was wearing her electric collar and eventually found her lying under some planks of wood up the field and all drenched wet. Obviously she had been there most of the night.

I initially though she had injured herself but she slowly after a lot of coaxing came out and I could see it was some internal complaint. I then remembered she had vomited in the lawn about 8pm last night and suspected it may have been something she ate.

She was fine at the beach yesterday but I remembered a piece of skin (possibly from a dead sheep or fish they had found and she had eaten.

Took her to the vet who immediately put her on a drip as he said she was dehydrated and suspected a septicemia infection.

She is still at the vets and will have to be kept in overnight. The place seems quite without her as she was such a bundle of energy. Driving the dobies mad was her favourite hobby and they knew something was not right with her yesterday if I only read their signals better.

Hope she gets better soon. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Poor girlie,Hope she gets better soon.

I know it's easier said than done,but don't ever let the dogs eat anything they 'find' out walking

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

OMG best of luck with that, is it so distressing. :(

My parents lab snatched and ate some kitchen paper last year that my mam was cleaning the washing machine soap tray with (she eats everything). She was sick for about two days but animals are so robust, she came though it fine and still goes for tissues given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

The dog has been in the wars recently. Hope the dog gets over the septicemia infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Called to the vets to check on her a while ago and there she was in a steel cage just large enough for her to turn around in and loads of other dogs in other cages barking etc. The heat in there was cruel and she had no water.
    Obviously was resting on her own urine too and was not on a drip.

I just could not bear the thought of her being in that place overnight so I persuaded the vet to let me take her home where in my view she would receive more constant attention in much more comfortable surroundings.

As soon as she arrived home she drank a good lot of water and promptly went into her straw filled tub. I had to drink some myself after all the heat of those kennels.

It was amusing to watch the reaction of the other dogs to her return. They had been down in the dumps without her as we all had in the family. The male dobie is upset she is not bullying him anymore as it will take her a few days to fully recover. although she jumped out of her bed at the first intruder alert set off by the dobies so that is a good sign. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Glad I took her home now. She has made a spectacular recovery and is almost back to normal - eating her dry food, drinking water and re-establishing her role as top dog. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Thats great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Glad to hear she is on the mend, that vet doesn't sound great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Great news-I agree with Nala

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement