Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Mysterio be in Title contention when he comes back?

• 26-07-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Should Rey be challenging for the WHC when he gets back?

i Personally think he shouldn't as i thought he was one of the worst wrestlers to hold that belt and never deserved to be in the title frame

P.S. I would have made this a poll but i don't know how, if anybody could tell me it would be appreciated

Should Mysterio be challenging for the title when he comes back? 11 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Not yet
    36% 4 votes
    Never
    63% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Yes, Rey should challenge Khali straight away!

It's a bit harsh saying he's one of the worst wrestlers to hold the title after Batista and now Khali. Rey will feud with Chavo upon his return but I have no idea what he's going to do after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No, I didn't think he was believable as champion when he did have the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Double C wrote:
    Yes, Rey should challenge Khali straight away!

It's a bit harsh saying he's one of the worst wrestlers to hold the title after Batista and now Khali. Rey will feud with Chavo upon his return but I have no idea what he's going to do after that.

well i just don't think a Cruiserweight should ever hold the world Heavyweight title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He shouldn't be challenging for the title until a smaller guy holds it, because WWE made him look like **** when he was champ. Rey's a great wrestler, it's just that the booking when he was champ made him look worthless, and I don't trust WWE to do any better this time if he feuds with Khali or Batista, so I hope he doesn't go for the title until Edge is back or if Finlay or Hardy happen to win it. The matches Edge and Rey used to have on SD with the Guerreros and Benoit and Angle were worthy of title match status and I'm really looking forward to when they get to feud with each other

As for a cruiserweight holding a heavyweight title, those weight classes mean absolutely nothing in pro-wrestling. They never have, there's absolutely no reason to care about them. If someone's good enough then they're good enough. Plus, Shawn Michaels would nearly pass as a cruiser, imagine if he'd been stuck feuding with small guys his whole career
    P.S. I would have made this a poll but i don't know how, if anybody could tell me it would be appreciated

When you're making the thread there's an option below the "submit thread" button to make a poll

EDIT: Poll added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

well i just don't think a Cruiserweight should ever hold the world Heavyweight title

As Fozzy said, the weight divisions don't count for a whole lot, on the basis that wrestling is fake and all. If Edge can be a legit world champ, why not Rey? His title run was a disaster, but it was booked that way. If the champions were always the big guys, we'd have Viscera, Mark Henry and Khali as the champions, where's the fun in that?

• Advertisement

im not saying that just because their not in the weight class, that they shouldn't hold the title, im just saying that i dont think cruiserweights make good World heavyweight champions, having to essentially lead the show as the top superstar

EDIT: thanks fozzy for adding the poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

im not saying that just because their not in the weight class, that they shouldn't hold the title, im just saying that i dont think cruiserweights make good World heavyweight champions, having to essentially lead the show as the top superstar

Why not though? Like I said, if they're good enough then they're good enough. Fair enough if you don't think Rey has the mic skills or whatever to be the top guy, but does size really matter that much?

I remember a very good match he had with Mark Henry last year, he was able to make it believable by countering Henry's moves and being too quick for him. As long as a cruiser isn't fighting a heavyweight style against guys much bigger than him then I don't see any problem. Unless they're just crap

well i suppose its just down to opinions, and my opinion is that i don't think cruiserweights should be leading the show, to me it's kind of like a woman holding the world heavyweight title (and yes, i know chyna held the IC Title) i just think that cruiserweights should be against cruiserweights and not heavyweights
    im not trying to start an argument, its just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He moves ratings. He moves merchandise. Children love him. He is a great wrestler. How many wrestlers who are currently injury free tick those boxes in the WWE? Not many.

I see no reason why he shouldn't other than perhaps the Dr. Astin situation holding him back.

I hate the size issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yeah he should be a contender , for the cruiserweight belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I really think this whole size thing is really a non-issue. As far as I can tell, the only reason that pro-wrestling titles were referred to as heavyweight was to piggy back on the (old) credibility of Boxings world heavyweight title. But in reality challengers for pro-wrestling titles have never been precluded because of size or lack thereof.

Obviously WWE have pushed a certain look and many fans have become accustomed to the bigger guys challenging for the heavyweight title. But i think many people look at it the wrong way around and still have the hang up about a smaller guy challenging because of the earlier boxing analogy that I mentioned. Just because a small guy couldn`t go for a heavyweight boxing title does not mean that they same is the case in pro-wrestling which has no real weight divisions.

And even in real sports it is often the smaller guys that draw most money. And really that should be the real baromoter of who challenges for a world title. After all that is the essence of pro-wrestling. In boxing Oscar De La Hoya is the biggest drawing fighter of all time and the in the biggest drawing moxing match against Floyd Mayweather it was fought at super welterweight which has a weight limit of 154 lbs. Rey Mysterio's weight is usually listed at about 165 lbs. In MMA Royce Gracie introduced the sport to the masses in the early nineties and his weight was about 180 lbs. Currently in UFC the light heavyweights (205 lbs) draw the most money.

My point is that it is all about perception and what peoples expectations of a champion are. Mysterio was booked to look small in his last title run and thats exactly what happened. But I don`t remember the same ppl saying that eddie guerrrero was too small when he was champion. In fact there are only a couple of inches between Mysterio and Guerrero's height.

I think its very (how should I put this...?!) markish to complain that mysterio is too small. Bottom line is that pro-wrestling is not about weight classes but instead is only about drawing money. And whatever you think of him (much like Cena) Rey Mysterio draws a lot more money than most workers in WWE and deserves his spot to be pushing for the title. And that is especially true now with the raft of injuries in WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

For me the height thing is a bonus. There'd be a certain novelty to Khali vs. Mysterio and it would probably be more watchable than Khali vs. Kane/Batista/Henry etc. Also with edge gone it adds variety to smackdown's roster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think the "bigger is better" theory is something that Vince has more or less promoted for the last 20 years to the point where fans have be come accustomed and expect it in a wrestler.

I think some fans mindset of wrestlers having to look a certain way is one of the problems facing wrestling today.

And as woo32 mentioned, the world has moved on from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Where's the "Jesus christ, **** no!" option? ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hell no! Not believable!

Advertisement