Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jackie skelly

Options
  • 26-07-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Long story but i joined JS at the start got a joint membership with the wife who never used it. We paid the 1st month on laser as they wouldn't accept cash on the day we joined, and for the rest of the year did DD which was grand. After 1 year i told them i wanted to go on my own as wife didn't use it, they said i had to pay 2 mnths notice (240). I laughed & said i'd go to the marriot and after a few weeks they contacted me and said if i pay 1mnths notice (120) i said ok and joined again on my own for 49 a month.
    I paid month notice in April then cancelled DD on the joint a/c. My new DD of 49 is on my own personal a/c and since then no probs. Now yday 25th June JS took out 120 euro from my joint a/c via my laser card! It took me 2days to get thru to Accounts manager despite leaving 10 messages, who told me they did not agree to 1mnth notice even though she only took over 2 weeks ago. I work for BOI and i talked to financial regulator who told me its illegal and should issue legal proceedings. As i work in town i got my wife to bring down statements showing the transactions as requested by Grainne who then told my wife after 1/2 hour wait that she didn't want to see them and that they were happy to go to court. The fact that they can go and take money out of your a/c via your laser(without permission) 16mths later is astounding. Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

sue them...

its not the first time i've heard of them doing this...

hence why i refuse to join them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Stay the hell away from Jackie Skellys anyone thinking of joining they are money grabbing ***s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

foxy06 wrote:
    Stay the hell away from Jackie Skellys anyone thinking of joining they are money grabbing pigs!

I'm with you foxy. Chivesy, check out the other jackie Skelly thread. I have outlined there, what procedure to take. They will not let it get to the small claims court and will refund the money once you have establised what your grieviences are. EG Minging, filthy kip with bad staff. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Minging, filthy kip with bad staff

Other than that is it ok?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daithilocha

stay away from them mingers lads.. cant believe people actually use that

filthy kip of an excuse for a gym... when will they learn..? stay away lads :mad:

• Advertisement

stay away from them mingers lads.. cant believe people actually use that

filthy kip of an excuse for a gym... when will they learn..? stay away lads :mad:
    Nice to see that it has come on in leaps and bounds since my last visit. Dont forget to mention the Joe Duffy show and the poo in the pool feature. They love being reminded of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Easy on the adjectives there folks.

If you can't express opinions in less derogotary language, I would suggest you keep them to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

I joined up in March and despite numerous attempts to make an appointment to get a personal training schedule set up, it didn't happen. They never had any availability on dates or times that suited me. Once they got the money off me, they didn't care a jot. Fell off a raised platform in the equipment area and sprained an ankle as well and very little attention but thats another story. After a few months of just using the pool and running on the treadmill, I stopped the direct debit. That was back in June and haven't heard a thing. I wonder will they come after me? Anyone else with experience like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I received a letter from Jackie Skelly's today saying they would be sending out the debt collectors if I didn't pay the 2 months I owed.I stopped the direct debit in june.And because I failed to notify them that I wished to cancel they are billing me for 2 mths july/august, but according to my bank statement they received a payment of €80 in july.Anyway I dont care who they send they wont be getting any money from me:D 3 times I went to meet my instructor and 3 times he never showed up.We used the membership about 10 times in the 12months and glad to be finished with the ???? Place.

Teamhar wrote:
    I joined up in March and despite numerous attempts to make an appointment to get a personal training schedule set up, it didn't happen. They never had any availability on dates or times that suited me. Once they got the money off me, they didn't care a jot. Fell off a raised platform in the equipment area and sprained an ankle as well and very little attention but thats another story. After a few months of just using the pool and running on the treadmill, I stopped the direct debit. That was back in June and haven't heard a thing. I wonder will they come after me? Anyone else with experience like this?
    Be careful. They probably have your visa number. You will have paid a deposit with it at the start. They will charge two months cancellation fee to it and you will have to fight to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

My experience.

Signed up for a year by monthly direct debit. Following my 11th payment, I wrote to them informing them that I was giving them 30 days notice as of my anniversary date. Told them payment 12 would be honoured and then the final 13th "notice month" payment would be my last, in accordance with their terms & conditions.
    Received a very nice letter back, hope you enjoyed your stay, enjoy the rest of your membership, come in for a chat if you like etc.
    A couple of weeks after the 13th payment should have been charged to my account, I check my online bank to cancel the DD from my end. Low and behold, they had cancelled the DD themselves when they received my letter so no payment 12 & 13 were made but I still got to use the facilities for 2 months!!

Perhaps the unfamiliar nature of my approach (i.e. abiding by the T's & C's) really threw them!!:)

avantarklu wrote:
    My experience.

Signed up for a year by monthly direct debit. Following my 11th payment, I wrote to them informing them that I was giving them 30 days notice as of my anniversary date. Told them payment 12 would be honoured and then the final 13th "notice month" payment would be my last, in accordance with their terms & conditions.
    Received a very nice letter back, hope you enjoyed your stay, enjoy the rest of your membership, come in for a chat if you like etc.
    A couple of weeks after the 13th payment should have been charged to my account, I check my online bank to cancel the DD from my end. Low and behold, they had cancelled the DD themselves when they received my letter so no payment 12 & 13 were made but I still got to use the facilities for 2 months!!

Perhaps the unfamiliar nature of my approach (i.e. abiding by the T's & C's) really threw them!!:)
    Check your credit card statement now. If they did not DD you, I would put it down to imcompetence rather than good will. Cynical me.

Advertisement