Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

98fm Fraud Investigation

• 26-07-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Did anybody else see the front of the Star this morning, 2 employees (one male, one female) presumably quite high up were brought by Gardai for questioning following an internal investigation at 98FM of competition fixing....

Anybody got more info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

only thing I've heard is what's on radiowaves
    lookie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

From todays Indo:

A DUBLIN-BASED radio station was keeping quiet last night over a Garda investigation into the running of one of its on-air competitions.

98FM station manager Michael Brady yesterday confirmed gardai were investigating the matter, but the station refused to say what the matter is or provide any further details into the mysterious competition.

However, it was reported yesterday that a male employee of the station was arrested and a female employee was being questioned following the outcome of the station's own internal probe into a possible breach of its own code in relation to on-air competitions.

It was reported that the male employee was detained for questioning but released without charge following approximately 12 hours of questioning.

It was also reported that a female staff member was also detained by gardai for questioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I reckon competition fraud is all over the place... I got a ticket for the Who recently from a buddy's buddy, who won it off a local radio station, because he knew the DJ so his name was "randomly" picked out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

After a week of stories in the press and confusion among listeners about what actually happened, I find it amazing that 98fm have not issued a statement to their listeners. There is no mention of the incident on the stations website. It seems the station is carrying on with promotions, which in the current climate seems a bit strange. Comparing this to similar incidents in the UK recently, the broadcasters there took the responsible decision to suspend all competitions until the investigation was complete.

I understand the investigation is probably still being carried out at 98fm, but for any listener who may have spent money entering a competition, surely they have a right to a statement from the station explaining what exactly is being investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Maybe the papers printed false information and that there is nothing going on at 98fm at all!! Imagine that the papers printing something that's not true!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe other radio and TV stations are reluctant to report the issue
    on their news as they know their competitions are just as rigged.

It's only a matter of time before the Irish stations are exposed like
    their UK counterparts me thinks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Competitions on radio and television tend to be very rigged.

I took part in a well known RTÉ game show a few years back and the people who won were paid actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Competitions on radio and television tend to be very rigged.

I took part in a well known RTÉ game show a few years back and the people who won were paid actors.

I find that hard to believe,surely the actors fee's would be of higher value than the prize.RTE were not known for their huge giveaways back in the day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Posts like the above are exactly why the idiots in 98FM have a lot to answer for.

People tar all radio and tv stations with the same brush due to THEIR competition fix and it ruins it for other stations.

Monkeyfudge - if you can back up your comment with facts, I'd love to hear them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well they were also the warm up act for the audience... they made it to the last round and then lost, so there was no prize pay out.

It actually said the show was rigged in the small print at the end of the credits. As a contestant you were even given the answers beforehand.

The gameshow was called Talkabout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

No, I was talking about this little gem!

"Competitions on radio and television tend to be very rigged."

Advertisement