Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those White Ornaments

Options
  • 26-07-2007 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Did we ever find out if there was something other than a trend behind the hundreds of white ornaments of women in the windows of Dublin houses? Especially around the North side and City Centre.

Apologies for starting another thread, but I can't find the one originally discussing this at all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's a status symbol and display of wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Movershaker

Didn't see the original thread but these things are just hideous. Especially when they've put the exact same statue in every window of the house (usually those 3 story red-brick Corpo houses). Beats porcelain dolls though I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

I think it also signifies a safe house for provo's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

There's a shop on Parnell St sells them if you're interested :)

I've noticed that some people, obviously with real class & taste, have got them in gold!

I missed the original thread. I've often meant to start one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

I have it on good authority from someone who knows the owner of the Parnell Street plaster shop that it was this very store that started the trend. They concocted the mould or just imported it, put it on display and it took off like wildfire!

As to why... well, that shall remain as one of life's mysteries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I've a funny feeling it's a signal to people outside the house, possibly for drugs.

Sounds crazy, but there's no sense otherwise - they look ridiculous, but more so in every window.

Something well dodgy about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I've a funny feeling it's a signal to people outside the house, possibly for drugs.

my granny has white ornaments in her window! and she is 77 & from edenmore, do you really think she is a front for drug dealing, saying that white ornaments in the window is a northside thing (as per the op) is as silly as saying that there are no working class areas on the southside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah yeah, me and himself noticed this a few weeks ago too. We figured there was a door to door salesperson in the area! Classy ornaments, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Personally i find the big Grecian pillars stuck on the front of corpo houses, a la Cabra and Coolock worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Yeah, it's not the things themselves per say, it's the fact that in so many houses, there are 2, 3 or 4 of the things on display. They're always on the side viewable from the road, be that front or back and they are always identical.

My mother suggested it could be a Stardust thing? We're running a dare in the family as to who will go knock on a door and ask...

PS: Peter Collins yopur suggestion would mean around 5 houses on every road in Coolock, Artane, Edenmore and Kilbarrack are drug dealer's homes. Something tells me that's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps the people in the houses just like them?

Kind of like people who bought those 'this is not a waste of money and I am not a prat' bags in BT the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Random_Dub

Seriously if you think these white statues are only on the North side you need to take a closer look. Grannies love these things!!

Take a look around Kimage, Crumlin, Tallagh, Dolphins Barn or Ballyfermot to find a few choice areas for these on the south side of Dublin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sure everyone knows they are a sign for wife swapping houses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sorry, none in Tallaght. We have, eh... Taste.:rolleyes:

Yeah there is a load of houses with them on the way up to Croke Park too.
    I'm really not into them at all, i wouldn't say it has anything to do with drugs though. People trying to be posh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

what are these things? can someone post a pic? they are writing letters every day about them in the metro, but ive never seen any

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

When i was a kid it was matching porcelain dogs facing each other..no other reason for them than some people have no taste whatsoever..a load of poxy tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    what are these things? can someone post a pic? they are writing letters every day about them in the metro, but ive never seen any

Borrowed from page 13 or so in this thread.....

statues.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

NWO imo

Rashers wrote: »
    Borrowed from page 13 or so in this thread.....

Which thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ballyfermot has plenty of those statues

Now don't get me started on those pillars people put by the front door of their council house!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    NWO imo

Which thread?

Sorry.. should have said Forum eh? Try the page I mentioned under the Dublin City Forum. More photos there if required.

/edit/ Found the thread for you HERE.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Ballyfermot has plenty of those statues

Now don't get me started on those pillars people put by the front door of their council house!

Nice pic of the statues and the pillars HERE. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

I hate these things. One is bad enough, but in every window? Come on people, try for some imagination rather than following the crowd. The people who have these ornaments have them because everyone else has them, plain and simple. It's not as though it's possible not to notice that hundreds and possibly thousands of houses have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

Rashers wrote: »
    Nice pic of the statues and the pillars HERE. ;)

that's photoshop right??
    look's like in inside of bobby sands cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

It may not be to your personal taste, but I always think things like statues (or sculptures, or vases of flowers etc) in lots of the windows in an area is a sign of people living there being houseproud, espeically as they are usually in houses which also have hanging baskets or neat gardens or driveways or whatever. I think it's always a good sign for an area (or part of an area), and is a good indicator that it's an area that would be good to live in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Its not as common around town as it used to be really, I think its more of an Aulwon thing from back in the day. I know my own granny's used to have em, even on hte mantle piece.
    That shop that was mentioned above, "Dublin moulding & plasterwork" I think is its name. It didn't so much start the trend but cashed in on it a good few years back. they used to be located on the other side of the road facing where they are now and made things with ceiling mouldings and ornate plaster work for walls etc. Nowadays they do a whole load of things like busts of Michael Collins, weird painted up frames of famous people like the Beatles and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I think them statues are great,each to their own.I held one the other day and my god are they heavy.Its a personal choice:D

Advertisement