Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages/disadvantages of a 19" widescreen monitor

• 26-07-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

If purchasing a Dell desktop system two of the options concerning the monitor are to have either a standard 19" TFT monitor, or a 19" widescreen TFT monitor.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 19" widescreen over a standard 19" monitor?

Which would you opt for? Is the widescreen simply the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depends what you use it for. If it's mostly work / video then widescreen's better without doubt. Lots of people prefer 4:3 for gaming though (not sure myself, never used widescreen for gaming). It's a personal preference really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

16:10 for gaming myself. I see no disadvantages going for a widesceen. Its much betetr for games and movies. Some people say you loose vertical height in games, but i have never seen that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think to be optimal for gaming, widescreen monitors should be curved (of course this is never going to happen). Chosen bought and ditched a large widescreen monitor within a week iirc. I'm working off memory here, but my recollection was that for FPS games the outer edges of the monitor basically moved too fast as compared to the inner part because the FOV is wider. In short, this confuses your noggin.

Note: I may be talking through my bottom, but Chosen did buy and ditch a widescreen monitor within a week or thereabouts because he didn't like it for gaming.

Having said that, I was looking at a 24" dell at midlans (ginga was right beside me) and I couldn't see anything wrong with it (though I didn't play UT on it at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a 20" widescreen and I love it. I play games on it a lot, but the games I play have proper widescreen support, not just stretching the image to fit. I have my graphics card's control panel set to scale 4:3 games to the dimensions of the screen without affecting the aspect ratio, so crappy games without widescreen support (HI BATTLEFIELD 2, YOU SUCK.) can be played with black bars to the left and right but with a proper non-distorted image.

Advertisement