Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for 30k?

Options
  • 26-07-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Seriously considering buying a car with about a €30k budget. I was thinking mostly about buying an 05 VW GTI DSG (my dream car) on a 5-year finance scheme (getting new job so will be able to afford €550 per month or so). Do you think I should wait until after the new year to buy, given the car will be a further year older? I know the DSG's can be a little pricey. Any idea what the car will be valued at towards the end of the loan (i.e. depreciation cost). If anyone has a better car suggestion, I'd be grateful for your input. Was half thinking about an 02 TT Quattro too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I take it you don't have a trade in, and are starting from scratch at 30k? If so, I personally wouldn't do likewise. The car will be worth a fraction of that 30k after 5 years, probably closer to the 10-12k mark. €550 every month for 5 yrs is a lot, and no doubt you'll be well bored of the car long before you have it paid for.

I have a new GTI myself - its a fantastic car alright, but I owe relatively little on it (having built up a lot of "equity" through trading in several cars over the years). I don't think I'd enjoy it so much if it was draining my cash as much as you're looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

The TT is like a pretty Golf. The new TT is much more deserving of your attention, but not at 30,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Thanks for the responses. I do have an old MkIV golf that I would hope to get 5k for and I would hope that I would have access to some cash to clear off chunks of the loan before the 5 years were up. Have to say, I didn't think the golf would depreciate that quickly. Might hold my fire so...damn practicalities!!

sorry, I didn't mean to totally put you off! But the reality is that any car out there will lose a huge chunk of its initial value after a 5 year period. None of them are a good "investment"!

Its a good idea alright to pay off the loan quicker, as you come into spare cash every so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dazcon

I have been toying with the idea of GTI with DSG for a while but have been warned of low MPG , hard suspension and the risk of theft of the car. A test drive isn't long enough to get a full picture. How has yours been to live with day to day.?

• Advertisement

Mine's the 6-speed manual. I've got the upgraded alloys though (18").

The suspension is stiff, but it depends on what you're used to. Having come from an Audi A3, the GTI is like an S-Class in comparison - man, I lost some tooth fillings in that Audi.

Fuel consumption I think is pretty reasonable - I average around 28mpg, but most of my journeys are short hops, or around town traffic. On a long spin, you would easily see 33-35 mpg. Also, my mileage is relatively low, so its not a big issue for me regardless.

Ignore the scare-mongering "theft magnet" rumours, I've had no such problems in that regard (touch wood!) While it is a good looking, sporty-looking car, to most peoples eyes its just another Golf! It doesn't attract Ferrari-like attention!!! Granted, I do live outside the pale.

I drive an 04 318ci at the moment on mainly country roads and find this can be a bit stiff over bumps . Dont know how this would compare to the A3 although I always thought the audi suspension would be set up for comfort. I also heard the dsg is faster but the downside is its heavier on fuel. I'm averaging about 34 mpg in the BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭whippet

Dazcon wrote:
    I drive an 04 318ci at the moment on mainly country roads and find this can be a bit stiff over bumps . Dont know how this would compare to the A3 although I always thought the audi suspension would be set up for comfort. I also heard the dsg is faster but the downside is its heavier on fuel. I'm averaging about 34 mpg in the BM.

The DSG is actually lighter on fuel according to VW, I am getting about 25-28mpg out of my GTi DSG, grant it I have a lot of M50 rush hour driving and when I get off the motorway I tend to like to open it up a bit.

As for it being a theft magnet, my sister's 00 passat was broken in to outside my house and they would have had to walk past the GTi to get at it ! she had nothing in it to steal and they pulled the wires out from under the steering wheel.

I must say after 7k kms with the GTi it still brings a smile to my face and not once I have even thought about 'what if' with other cars I was going to buy (passat, Saab 93, accord, Mini Cooper S were all on the radar at the time)

I have it on 17" wheels and the ride while stiff is not uncomfortable. Take it for a good long test drive and you will be convinced !

The A3 was shockingly stiff - though it was the sport model on 17" rims.
    The DSG is not necessarily quicker (or heavier on fuel for that matter)... its all down to how heavy your right shoe is :D
    Overall, its a great car to drive and to live with on a daily basis, whether you're tootling about town like Miss Daisy or giving it loads on the twisty stuff! It would blow you're 318 out of the water!!

It would be interesting to compare the 17 against the 18 inch rims to see how much harder the ride would be. I've got 18s on the BM at the moment and they make the ride firmer as well as increasing road noise. I have no doubt the GTI would leave the 318 for dead. Maybe that would keep my mind off the stiffer suspension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement