Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fred Phelps hates the L&H

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Nah it was an unpleasant spin off of Youth Defence calling themselves Ultrasound who did the Tribune mock up, the supposed rioters were a mishmash of UCD people. A formal dignified(ish!) protest was also planned by the SU and would have gone ahead if the event wasn't cancelled.

@ Red Alert: Agreed. Seems to be only UCD that has a problem with controversial speakers though. Justin Barrett spoke at UCG (and was rubbished, as he should have been here) the week after he was attacked in the L+H debate.

Interesting point there, would Phelps have been permitted to speak by our self appointed censors as he's not a Fascist? (Well, not a conventional one anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In fairness I think the Church of Justin Barrett does not have 80 members like the Westboro Baptsit Church. Barrett is just a wanabee right wing nut case. Phelps is actually a danger to society. He is a lier, a hate monger, a hypocrit, and possible ADD Sufferer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

griffdaddy wrote:
    they also denied doing that mock-up of the tribune

Sorry to nit-pick, just to point out it was the Observer who were faked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Is Fred Phelps the guy Louis Theroux lived with on his show? If so he is a W***er!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Ooer. That Fred Phelps guy makes me come over all queer.

You know he and his followers drink each other's sermon? (Gob-jostling) And they prostrate each other? (Lying down in a room)

I'm pretty sure God hates that.

Could't they conduct the debate via video linkup? Then he wouldn't run the risk of getting arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

abelard wrote:
    The first time I ever came across this guy I was thought "wow.......just wow".

He let you come across him? WOW!
    I think if he did come it would be possibly the single most violent scene I would ever be likely to witness in my life.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Red Alert wrote:
    I take your point about chasing him, but there's a disturbing trend all the same in UCD which started out when that abortion crowd weren't allowed come because some people threatened to start a riot.

/bored of setting the story straight.

The abortion crowd booked a room in the Arts block by falsely claiming that they were a registered ucd society. When services were informed of this deception their booking was cancelled.
    The group attempted to make alternative arrangement but their event was cancelled by UCD authorities because of said groups dodgy past (and for me anyway, the attempted deception of the good folk at services was proof enough of dodginess)
    A small group of protesters turned out anyway (as was their right) in case YD tried to come out anyway, far from being just 'the usual suspects' the (well behaved) protesters included such luminaries as then SU-Welfare officer Dan Hayden, and PD bigwig (sorry darling, I forget your title) Patrick Carroll.

Great, now I sound like pretty*monster.

Yeah, you wish! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Surely any debate where one side is represented by such a complete (loon) radical would nullify the debate and any appearance that the society is trying to be fair and unbalanced.

Also, I would say that giving people like him platforms to speak on is also lending him some of the society's (and college's) legitimacy.

If you go with a hate filled radical for one side of a debate, it is only reasonable to expect the society invites another hate filled radical (although obviously with an alternate view point) to represent the other side.

In fact I would go as far to say that I am disgusted by the society's desperation for a bit of publicity and complete lack of ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

the man really is a fool.
    and i dont say that lightly
    i found out about him thru the louis theroux documentary.
    his followers think of him as a genius, the number one mind on bible knowledge.
    i think he has proven himself wrong countless times.
    come on,anyone can pick up the bible and spread whatever they want by picking and choosing.
    hes just a sad childish man.
    and on the "fact" that everyone except his family is going to "heaven".
    if thats how his god really thinks, the devil must be a really nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Just saw the front page of "The Irish Sun" down in the canteen here in work. (Yes, I work in a very high brow establishment.) The front page article is about how the L&H invited Fhelps out to U.C.D. It has a a copy of his reply to their letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement