Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Stickies

Options
  • 26-07-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if it's possible to do some funky coding magic to make it possible to get what I've termed personal stickies.

Is it possible, maybe within the options of the subscription, that it would make the thread always appear at the top of the page if you choose?

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It is possible in other forums, it might be in the latest version of VB, or just not enabled here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That is an excellent idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What purpose does this serve?

What if twenty subscribers all decide that their thread is 'OMG THIS IS SUCH A SUPER THREAD', we'd get the 'normal' stickies, then twenty personal stickies.

It would mean in default mode, there would be no non-sticky threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Sean, I think his idea is that only you would be able to see your "personal" sticky. So if 20 people had 20 personal stickies, and I had none, it would not affect my viewing, I would just get the mandatory stickies. Maybe I mis-read your post, but that's how I took it.

Not a bad idea, can mostly be handled by subscribing to threads though no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Thats a really great idea, i'm not sure why i havnt seen this elsewhere either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You could script this using Greasemonkey.

RSS for threads, now there's an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sean, I think his idea is that only you would be able to see your "personal" sticky. So if 20 people had 20 personal stickies, and I had none, it would not affect my viewing, I would just get the mandatory stickies.
    Ah, I see.

I get it now. Great Idea tbh.
    Maybe I mis-read your post
    Nah, you didn't. I didn't catch the drift of the OP at all, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm waiting for the AH version of this.
    Same title, but completely different content.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

bumpedy bump bump

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If its an option in the new version of vB then I'm sure we would consider it, presuming it doesnt add a huge load to the servers. Right now we are preping for upgrading to the next version (afaik!)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Not that I have seen

Maybe a hack however

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Tbh i'd wager it'd kill the servers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

zabbo wrote:
    RSS for threads, now there's an idea.

Oh dear god. I remember when boards had an RSS feed, it lasted two minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Boston wrote:
    Oh dear god. I remember when boards had an RSS feed, it lasted two minutes.

Your input is noted.

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Your input is noted.

Thanks.
    Shit stirring noted.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

&#231 wrote: »
    AFAIK there's a DB hit every time you load a page to load up your subbed list on the top menu bar (to check for new posts). If one were to incorporate it into that system somehow, it may not be as crippling as you think. That said, it's been years since I did any database work :D

Kharn wrote:
    AFAIK there's a DB hit every time you load a page to load up your subbed list on the top menu bar (to check for new posts). If one were to incorporate it into that system somehow, it may not be as crippling as you think. That said, it's been years since I did any database work :D

admittedly I'm not too up on RSS feeds, but don't they continuously poll a page looking for undates.

Hmm, you're idea seems good thought, as I understand it you're suggesting that when ever a page is loaded a db query is performed and then the update is sent via RSS feed to subcribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

&#231 wrote: »

SELECT t.* from threads t LEFT JOIN usersubbedlist usl ON usl.threadid = t.id AND usl.userid = 1052 WHERE t.forumid = 10 ORDER BY usl.threadid, t.lastUpdate LIMIT 0, 40

Easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

seamus wrote:
    SELECT t.* from threads t LEFT JOIN usersubbedlist usl ON usl.threadid = t.id AND usl.userid = 1052 WHERE t.forumid = 10 ORDER BY usl.threadid, t.lastUpdate LIMIT 0, 40

What did you just say about my mom?!

seamus wrote:

I like it make it so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I must stress that's pseudocode. :) I have no idea what the database looks like.

seamus wrote:
    I must stress that's pseudocode. :) I have no idea what the database looks like.

I was wondering if you had some inside knowledge. Awh well theres goes my plan for using that query to leet haxor.

Advertisement