Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

download speed

Options
  • 26-07-2007 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi,

i just did a broadband speed test,

the results are d/load 2151 kb/s

what is this gig wise can anyone tell me, just over two gigs i would guess ?

upload 274 kb/s

and am i right saying it is a two gig speed, is this good ?

Rasoul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Yes you are getting 2.1 Meg which is too good for a 2 Meg service (Max it could be would be 2048Kb). So you must have a 3 Meg service but only getting 2.1, you should be getting more in the region of 2.6 to 2.9. So you have a poor 3 Meg service.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BSC

Make sure that there is nothing else connected in parallel to your telephone network. TRy to connect your modem direct bypassing any ****ting low quality filters. If its an Eircom DSL you have a right to make a complaint and they will investigate the reason.
    Also i would advise you to ring your ISP and request to run a test on your line to see if there is any fault with Resistance on your line, if you have a phone connected check if you have noise on the line or crackling. Poor / loose in connection line may cause you loosing your KBs. ;-) Cheerio!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

thanks for that lads,

I am with digiweb metro, not sure what the agreed meg is, I was downloading about 20 albums, at the time i ran that, would slow down the speed test results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Digiweb Metro is a 3 Meg service. Yes other downloads would effect your results.

Cal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also you are not guaranteed a particular speed by any isp, remember that. No matter whether you are on dsl or cable or wireless you have a contended product so the speed you are getting at the time of night you posted and given that you are simultaneously downloading more 'linux distros' your speed is pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

Great , I am happy enough so, thanks for the help lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cal wrote:
    Yes you are getting 2.1 Meg which is too good for a 2 Meg service (Max it could be would be 2048Kb). So you must have a 3 Meg service but only getting 2.1, you should be getting more in the region of 2.6 to 2.9. So you have a poor 3 Meg service.

Cal.
    Actually in some cases it doesn't prove a person is on a certain package because it depends on what browser he used to take the speed test. I'm on a 2meg package and with firefox I get 2350kb/s usually but with the other browsers (ie7, opera etc) they all return normal 2 meg speeds (for eircom) at around 1700/1800kbs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BSC wrote:
    Make sure that there is nothing else connected in parallel to your telephone network. TRy to connect your modem direct bypassing any ****ting low quality filters. If its an Eircom DSL you have a right to make a complaint and they will investigate the reason.
    Also i would advise you to ring your ISP and request to run a test on your line to see if there is any fault with Resistance on your line, if you have a phone connected check if you have noise on the line or crackling. Poor / loose in connection line may cause you loosing your KBs. ;-) Cheerio!!!

Just in case anyone reading your post would be tempted to take it seriously I should point out that your post is nonsense. If the poster was in fact on an Eircom 3Mb connection (or a resold one) they would have been getting a pretty reasonable speed for a very busy time in the evening when contention is most likely to kick in.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

BSC wrote:
    I hope to god that "BSC" doesn't stand for Bachelor of Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also websites and browsers do "on the fly" compression / decompression. With content that is not pre-compressed (any archive format such as zip, video, jpeg, tif, audio is usually already compressed) you can get up to 3x the network speed.

Since most connections are 20:1 to 48:1 contention (depending on package and provider) and servers themselves often throttle the per user speed, getting 2Mbps on 3Mbps package in the real world during a busy period is fine. Some ISP will give you 100kbps on your 2Mbps package and then say "well you are not even at your full 48:1 contention".

• Advertisement
Advertisement