Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle v Celtic Pre-Season Friendly

• 26-07-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

(Live on Setanta 1)

Newcastle winning 3-1 with 10 mins to go.

Martins got one and Luque got 2, yes LUQUE !
    Brown with what looks to be a consolation for Celtic.

Celtic have been very good 2nd half but were dreadful in the 1st half, pretty much at full strength too with the exception of Nakamura. Need to get their act together for next weekend :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

OMG that was awful. Absolutely awful. Embarrassing. Defo worst result of pre-season.

Hard to believe I'm watching Barcelona being held by Dundee Utd at the moment (80 mins and 0-0) with having Eto, Ronaldinho, Henry, Deco etc. and we get beat... actually hammered by Newcastle. :eek:

Edit - almost being beaten by Dundee Utd. Valid goal disallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ends up 4-1 with Milner getting the fourth. Very poor by Celtic.

Encouraging for Newcastle, missing some players too !

Dundee 0-0 with a near full strength Barca with 5mins to go!!!

Edit: Barca get dubious peno in 90th min, Henry takes it...gets saved and he taps in the rebound! Dundee Utd very unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I didn't watch the match, I don't even know the team, but if it wasn't for the negativity it brings on internet forums I'd be happy with this. The squad isn't good enough.

/just glimpsed at a Celtic forum there and they say Brown, Donati and McGeady played well. That'll do. Our midfield is strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Donatti looked handy.

From memory the team included....Boruc, Naylor, Kennedy,McManus,Hartley,Brown,Vennegor,Donnatti,McGeady,Zurawski...

Did Hartley play right back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Pretty brutal show by the bhoys tbh.

Scott Brown was the one shining light. He is the REAL DEAL. See that run he made right into the Newcastle box. Pure class. Took the goal well too. Hes going to be our best central midfielder in manys the year imo. McGeady put on a good show too.

Our season starts on Sunday week. :eek:

Hoping for a better show against Parma.

Its only a friendly tho. Thank f*ck!!!! Defense needs to sharpen up. Cant believe Boruc let the last one in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Its only a friendly tho. Thank f*ck!!!! Defense needs to sharpen up. Cant believe Boruc let the last one in.

Brown was in goal for the last one.

@ Eirebhoy - how can you be happy with that ****e? Midfield is fine, but we have a major defensive problem and a whole pile of strikers who can't find the net. :(

PauloMN wrote:
    @ Eirebhoy - how can you be happy with that ****e?
    Cos I already knew the defence was terrible. A clean sheet tonight and Strachan would be thinking twice about buying another one.

Midfield is better than fine btw. ;) Can't wait to see that up and running with Naka back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

come on the toooooon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

ahhhhhh Luque!!!

I think Big Sam will sort him out (hopefully)!!

We are in serious need of some more players to bolster the team.
    Our squad is already looking a bit weaker and we have only picked up 3 injurys!

I hope the new board get their cheque book out fairly soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

need 3 defenders and a midfielder, id be happy then

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Goalkeepers in pre season are generally pretty poor. Concentration levels are not as high at this stage of the season after taking some time away from football. As a goalkeeper (all be it GAA) myself I notice this every time I am just coming back from the couple of months off at winter. Once August/September hits they are almost completely different goalkeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

without putting myself up for a malling if chelsea do us this weekend - ill say this eirebhoy - if that was playing well mate, i hope yous play that well ALL season long ;)

friendlies mean nowt though, we all know this.... in seasons past NO pre season results have ever led to being a decent indication of the season that lies ahead for the old firm. So i wouldnt take too much from that.

Only bummer is that everytime a Scottish team gets shafted by English opposition, it weakens anyones already weak opinion of the Scottish game. And....well.... it really sucks to get beaten by an English team.

Speak to you all on Saturday at 5pm no doubt.

odonnell wrote:
    without putting myself up for a malling if chelsea do us this weekend - ill say this eirebhoy - if that was playing well mate, i hope yous play that well ALL season long ;)

friendlies mean nowt though, we all know this.... in seasons past NO pre season results have ever led to being a decent indication of the season that lies ahead for the old firm. So i wouldnt take too much from that.

Only bummer is that everytime a Scottish team gets shafted by English opposition, it weakens anyones already weak opinion of the Scottish game. And....well.... it really sucks to get beaten by an English team.

Speak to you all on Saturday at 5pm no doubt.

Agree with all of this. Remember last pre-season, Celtic were even worse and ended up with the double.

In saying that, while I haven't read too much into the pre-season games to date, last night was horrific on a number of fronts: we're almost finished our pre-season, they just started theirs, we played to win, we played almost full strength, they were missing key players and it's not like we don't know the team and their style (which does make the US games harder in a way).

With pre-season games, I can take being beaten no problem as long as I can see decent football and improving performances. That back 4 were absolute ****e and we still have the problem of strikers not scoring. Same old problems going into the new season, aside from a much improved midfield.

Good luck at the weekend mate, I think it's on the box - I must give it a watch if only to see what we're up against next season. ;)

Cheers bud.

Im hoping against hope we can turn it on for 90, as i well and truly fear a drubbing. Same story as yourselves - we are wrapping things up here to go straight into a Champs League qualifier and Smith has said he will NEED to rest some folk. This being the case I have to question the wisdom of such a game... if you need to rest players for the qualifier...why run the risk of seeing the team get a thrashing and potentially damaging their confidence? I think thats probably a valid argument for you lads too - what worth was in that game v newcastle for Celtic?

Ugh... i hate pre-season games...!

Next season I reckon itll be a closer run race - i know Celtic have strengthened midfield with Brown and Donati - We have also strengthened in a different way by adding a fast winger, in addition to Thompson who will be like a new signing for us. You guys are lacking goals, much like Rangers.... but we have signed a player who looks likely, VERY likely to give people a very torrid time next season - Darcheville. If he can stay on the pitch i think he could, COULD just make the difference for us, as we have missed that spark....where you guys had it in Lennon, Larsson.... etc.

It seems like Rangers and Celtic have exchanged teams recently. We have your team of the late 90's.

ah well.... roll on the new season!!! :)

........following on from the rangers-chelsea game - thankfully we didnt get mauled. :)

Celtic beat Parma 1-0 today. Most people thought Donati was motm by a mile. Brown got the website motm vote...again, and McGeady scored the goal and also played very well. When Naka comes back you'll see what I meant by our midfield being a class apart. ;)
    The 2007 version of Celtic were out to maintain that unbeaten record and produced an impressive first-half display. Brown, Donati and McGeady were pulling the strings from the off.

At the other end, Celtic showed some good invention and variation in their attacking play, with some of the passing between Brown, Donati and McGeady a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Missed that game, its more encouraging though by the sounds of it. Agree that we're a much better outfit with Naka than without, and our midfield should be very strong this year. Hope McGeady starts regularly for us this year too, Strachan didn't utilise him half as much as he should have last year imo.

eirebhoy - im well down the road in making my voodoo dolls for this season mate, if ya happen to know where i can find some 'hair of scott brown' please let me know.

But im not going to bother with a mcgeady or donati doll ;) hehe

• Advertisement

Lads, the Celtic thread is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055022657

It's dying a death (much like our recent performances ;) - only joking).

Get posting!! Even those from the dark side are welcome.... :D:D:D

the dark side? sure - ill pass it on to the aberdeen fans.

odonnell wrote:
    the dark side? sure - ill pass it on to the aberdeen fans.

Jaysus, don't do that, they're worse than your lot!! ;)

Advertisement