Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Acoustic treatment for attic studio

Options
  • 26-07-2007 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

A great big Hallo to all on this forum!!
    This is my first post. I've been at this recording lark for a while now two or three years or so, intermittently, depending on tolerence levels of various neighbours/(now ex-)girlfriends/flatmates etc. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'll get round to posting my gear list on the other thread some time soon (not that it'll be a super long list, but anyways).

OK, enough shooting the breeze - the reason I'm posting is this:
    I've recently moved into an attic room which I have all my gear set up in. It's got wooden floors, two skylights and is attic shaped. I'm quite happy with the acoustics in there, it sounds nice and clear when I play stuff through my monitors (Alesis M1 MK II's), but I'd like to get a second opinion in case I'm missing something - especially since there are so many hard surfaces. I know I should be tipping my hat in recognition at acoustic treatment at the very least!

Does anyone know anybody I could get to come have a listen and see what they think? I know I should go do the theory myself - I have a couple of Paul White's books where he deals with it (albeit with regular rather than oddly shaped rooms), but if there was somebody who could come out for half an hour, make a couple of suggestions and help me on my way then I think it'd be more productive, and I could spot them a couple of beers in appreciation (or whatever floats your boat).

Can anybody help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

DarrenAF wrote:
    A great big Hallo to all on this forum!!
    This is my first post. I've been at this recording lark for a while now two or three years or so, intermittently, depending on tolerence levels of various neighbours/(now ex-)girlfriends/flatmates etc. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'll get round to posting my gear list on the other thread some time soon (not that it'll be a super long list, but anyways).

OK, enough shooting the breeze - the reason I'm posting is this:
    I've recently moved into an attic room which I have all my gear set up in. It's got wooden floors, two skylights and is attic shaped. I'm quite happy with the acoustics in there, it sounds nice and clear when I play stuff through my monitors (Alesis M1 MK II's), but I'd like to get a second opinion in case I'm missing something - especially since there are so many hard surfaces. I know I should be tipping my hat in recognition at acoustic treatment at the very least!

Does anyone know anybody I could get to come have a listen and see what they think? I know I should go do the theory myself - I have a couple of Paul White's books where he deals with it (albeit with regular rather than oddly shaped rooms), but if there was somebody who could come out for half an hour, make a couple of suggestions and help me on my way then I think it'd be more productive, and I could spot them a couple of beers in appreciation (or whatever floats your boat).

Can anybody help?

What about some spectrum analyser or an oscillator?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DarrenAF

Hi Telepaul,
    Thanks for the help. How much for a Spectrum Analyser, and where would I get one? Maplins?

Cheers.
    D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you can download a spectral analysis plugin afaik.

i remember for my masters making spectral analysers was a very common assignment. unfortunately i never did one.So i presume they are not hard to find.
    the one commercial one i remember seeing you play a sampled sound out through your monitors and record from your listening position and then it figures out if your room is right. I can't remember for the life of me what it's called.

i'd say get a load of auralex foam and put them on the attic ceiling just so you don't have the double reflection phase problem that people tend to get when they're that close to an apex roof (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DarrenAF

Cheers!

I'm using an OS 9 Mac, so I'll have a look on version tracker for something that might help.

Re: Auralex. I'm figuring the same myself. Just get a load of foam and dampen the place out of it!!!

Much obliged for the contributions.

Darren

Advertisement