Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Guns N Roses

• 26-07-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Dose Anyone Like Them

who is better 15 votes

guns n roses
    0% 0 votes
    velvet revolver
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes, I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Shockingly it is nearly 20 years from when appetite was released.

How to feel old in 1 easy step....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

must admit I'm fairly partial to the odd gnr song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I like them too. Remind me of my leaving cert year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BENJAMIN61

What Is Your Favorite Song? Mine Is Paradise City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

They are one of the best bands ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

love em! i think their song 'aint it fun' sums up the whole band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

i seen them at Slane. they were incredible. Although Axl was talking the usual american crap about being half irish ... blah blah blah. On the other hand, Slash said he thought he could drink until he came to Ireland and seen how we drink !!;)

Duff the bass player also said he was half Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BENJAMIN61 wrote:
    Duff the bass player also said he was half Irish

He's gotta be with a name like McKagan!!!!!

I do like GnR, but I'm p****d off waitin for Chinese Democracy. And Axl has ruined GnR. I found myself being a bit bored at the gig last year.......I mean how many guitar solos did we need to hear??? Also, how many songs from AFD did we need to hear?? They could've ditched half of the AFD songs for tracks from CD!? After all, that's the album they're tryin to promote......:confused:

• Advertisement

He's gotta be with a name like McKagan!!!!!

I do like GnR, but I'm p****d off waitin for Chinese Democracy. And Axl has ruined GnR. I found myself being a bit bored at the gig last year.......I mean how many guitar solos did we need to hear??? Also, how many songs from AFD did we need to hear?? They could've ditched half of the AFD songs for tracks from CD!? After all, that's the album they're tryin to promote......:confused:
    I LIKE GNR BUT DO NOT LIKE THEIR NEW ALBUM CHINESE DEMOCRACY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

i seen them at Slane. they were incredible. Although Axl was talking the usual american crap about being half irish ... blah blah blah. On the other hand, Slash said he thought he could drink until he came to Ireland and seen how we drink !!;)

I thought he was half scottish :confused: Still a Twat all the same. he ruined the band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BENJAMIN61 wrote:
    I LIKE GNR BUT DO NOT LIKE THEIR NEW ALBUM CHINESE DEMOCRACY

Don't you mean the "leaks"??? The new album ain't out yet............

Don't you mean the "leaks"??? The new album ain't out yet............
    oh yeah i mean the leaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

There Was a Time is class and Chinese Democracy is pretty damn good also(if only because of the kickass production). They're also a lot better than anything any former GNR member has done since the band split. But it's not so much GNR as Axl's solo project. They don't put on that great a show either, though they have their moments.

I personally don't blame Axl for ruining the band and no one has any proof he did. There were a lot of factors in their demise, not just Axl's ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Estranged.

Estranged.
    do you like the song the garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Paradise City and Estranged are the best songs ever written. Case closed. The guitar playing on Estranged - just incredible.

For the record I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers each of the UYIs to Appetite. Love the variety as well as the quality of the music.

Paradise City and Estranged are the best songs ever written. Case closed. The guitar playing on Estranged - just incredible.

For the record I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers each of the UYIs to Appetite. Love the variety as well as the quality of the music.
    estraned is good but the guitar playing is not the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

One of the seminal rock bands of the 1980s and early 90s. It's a shame they've become a pale shadow of their former glory in the last few years.

Favourite songs? Hmmm ... Night Train, Mr.Brownstone, Sweet Child of Mine, Civil War & November Rain perhaps although there are others I like.

On another (slightly) related note ... Velvet Revolver f*cking rock live!! Saw them at Donington.

slither is velvet revolvers best song

Most of UYI 1 is shít IMO and there's far too much filler across both albums. Would have been class if it was only one album.

Estranged is good but tends to be overrated by hardcore GNR fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Most of UYI 1 is shít IMO and there's far too much filler across both albums. Would have been class if it was only one album.

Estranged is good but tends to be overrated by hardcore GNR fans.

Which songs in particular do you not like on UYI 1? Imo there's 5 or 6 songs max that are touch and go.

I think UYI 2 could do without the second version of don't cry, my world and one or two others.

Looking at the tracklist now, saying most of it was shít was an exaggeration.

I don't really like Right Next Door to Hell, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin' Jive, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me or Bad Apples. They're not terrible songs and have a couple of good riffs, but I really think they're more B-side material.

I might be in the minority, but I like the inclusion of My World on UYI 2. I'm a fan of weird and alternative stuff in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

You Ccould Be Mine is easily my favourite song, with Garden of Eden as Number two

I was laughed of the face of the planet when I claimed on Boards.ie that Chinese Democracy would never be released. Now who's laughing ?

^Not you, not yet anyway. Sure we've heard loadsa new songs that've either leaked or been played live and the band keep on insisting that it is coming out.

In any case, even if it doesn't come out, the leak of There Was a Time is enough to show that the new band weren't useless.

And Velvet Revolver are middle of the road and generally boring, with the occasional good Slash solo.

is anyone getting velvet revolvers new album?there last one was great

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Looking at the tracklist now, saying most of it was shít was an exaggeration.

I don't really like Right Next Door to Hell, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin' Jive, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me or Bad Apples. They're not terrible songs and have a couple of good riffs, but I really think they're more B-side material.

I might be in the minority, but I like the inclusion of My World on UYI 2. I'm a fan of weird and alternative stuff in general.

What have you got against all the rock songs? Continuing this trend, you're preferred UYI single album would have been just ballads and epics. I think it was important they didn't alienate their hard rock fanbase while embracing new styles - and songs like Double Talkin' Jive and Coma combined both. I think they got the balance right.

Definately hafta disagree about Double Talkin' Jive and Don't Damn Me - two of GnR's best songs, great riffs and awesome solos, and cool vocals.

The only songs that could have been left of UYI1, IMO, are:

Right Next Door To Hell, You Ain't The First, Garden Of Eden, Bad Apples

and from UYI2:

Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Don't Cry (alt. lyrics), My World

and if you wanted to cut it down further, the two cover versions Live And Let Die and Knockin' On Heaven's Door. (i'm saying these 10 songs could have been left off if you really tried to cut it down, I'm glad they didn't).

Other than that (20 out of 30) its all gold - and even the weaker songs like Bad Apples, you could still rely on Slash to pull out an amazing solo. The guitar solos throughout the UYI albums are my favourite from any album ever.

But remember even AFD had a couple of poorer songs - Think About You and Anything Goes - so proportionally it probably works out the same as each of the UYIs.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote:
    You Ccould Be Mine is easily my favourite song, with Garden of Eden as Number two

I was laughed of the face of the planet when I claimed on Boards.ie that Chinese Democracy would never be released. Now who's laughing ?

Hmm depends - how long ago did you say this?

Advertisement