Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

low write off value for crashed car

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I know someone who was recently in a car crash where the other person is rightly admitting responsibility and her insurance company have towed the car away and are processing the claim. They have agreed that my car is a write off but the price they are offereing them is below what they should be getting for it.

The assessor has rung me today but doesn't seem to want to budge on the prices. Looking on carzone.ie and other car websites. The lowest price for the same spec with same milleage starts at €2,500 (private sale) up to €4,950 with cars of 17,000 miles more than my one. They are expecting 3,500 for their car off the insurance company. He is only offering me €2,750 (€2,250 for the car and €500 for the salvage value).

If they got the €3.500, they were going to settle for this amount and not claim anything else, but the assessor does not seem to want to bulge. He said that he is going to send the report back to the insurance company for the person I am claiming again, but will not send it directly to the person in the accident, which they have asked him to do so that they can send it to their Solicitor.

They are getting their own insurance company to send out their own assessor, but don't know whether they all know each other and whether his valuation will work out any better for me.

Has anyone got tips as to who to get money back from the insurance company quickly and easily. They don't want to claim for my sore neck and back at the moment as they feel that is too unfair to the person who ran into them.

Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's the make, model and mileage of the car? and what was the declared value on the insurance policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 needadvice07

it was a 99 Opel Corsa with 60k on the clock. I think it was 3.5 or 4k on my insurance, but I am claiming on the other person's insurance, so would that be relevant to her insurance company?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

From VRT calculator....

STATISTICAL CODE: 40187809
    MAKE: OPEL
    MODEL: CORSA ALL VERSIONS (1993 - Sept. 2000)
    VERSION: 1.0 CITY 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 60000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JUNE 1999
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €2387

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I know someone who was recently in a car crash where the other person is rightly admitting responsibility and her insurance company have towed the car away and are processing the claim. They have agreed that my car is a write off but the price they are offereing them is below what they should be getting for it.

The assessor has rung me today but doesn't seem to want to budge on the prices. Looking on carzone.ie and other car websites. The lowest price for the same spec with same milleage starts at €2,500 (private sale) up to €4,950 with cars of 17,000 miles more than my one. They are expecting 3,500 for their car off the insurance company. He is only offering me €2,750 (€2,250 for the car and €500 for the salvage value).

If they got the €3.500, they were going to settle for this amount and not claim anything else, but the assessor does not seem to want to bulge. He said that he is going to send the report back to the insurance company for the person I am claiming again, but will not send it directly to the person in the accident, which they have asked him to do so that they can send it to their Solicitor.

They are getting their own insurance company to send out their own assessor, but don't know whether they all know each other and whether his valuation will work out any better for me.

Has anyone got tips as to who to get money back from the insurance company quickly and easily. They don't want to claim for my sore neck and back at the moment as they feel that is too unfair to the person who ran into them.

Any help would be great

Have you checked out the "Book Value" of your car? If you know a local dealer or even ring up a main garage and ask them to give you the "book Value". The book value is the recommended "trade value" for a car. Its a quarterly (i think) valuation of what a car is worth. The information is compliled from garages nationwide so tends to be an accurate reflection on a cars value.
    So if the assessor is offering less than book value you will have a stronger argument for him to pay out more. If what he is offering is book value then you have a tougher job to get more than they are offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Something tells me that you are your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

My old car was wrote off after somebody crashed into me. I was offered 5000 from the other parties insurance company(hiberian), at the time the average price for the car on carzone was 4000. They gave me a cheque for 4200 and i got 800 cash from the scrap dealer they organised to take the car.
    They told me they got the value by ringing up delaers and getting the average price that they where selling the car for.
    I also had alloys and a new cd player in the car and i received a seperate cheque for the full value of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TBH it looks like you are getting a good price if Henry Ford's post is anything to go by.

The prices for cars on Carzone and CBG etc are all way too high. Don't forget that they are the opening prices and you bargin down from there.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest what you insure your car for, once you don't under insure! The insurance company will only pay the market value of the car when it's being written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Henry Ford - the omsp on the revenue site needs to be added to the VRT amount it spat out in order to get the actual selling price; the omsp is the price the VRT is based on. So €2,387 becomes around €3,000, give or take a few quid.

OP - you pay your insurance company to handle these things for you. They'll claim their costs off the other persons insurance, so it shouldn't cost you a cent (just get them to confirm that first). Get onto them, and tell them you expect the amount you insured the car for, as it seems a reasonable amount for the car.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Same thing happened to my mother a few years back, same car too curiously. Anyway I got a pre accident value from trhe local main dealer and we were able to "up" the value ..............I simply would not accept the low estimate and you do not ahve to either !

Get proof from people who sell these cars and show them how much you would have to pay to where you were pre accident !

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Fey! wrote:
    Henry Ford - the omsp on the revenue site needs to be added to the VRT amount it spat out in order to get the actual selling price; the omsp is the price the VRT is based on. So €2,387 becomes around €3,000, give or take a few quid.

OP - you pay your insurance company to handle these things for you. They'll claim their costs off the other persons insurance, so it shouldn't cost you a cent (just get them to confirm that first). Get onto them, and tell them you expect the amount you insured the car for, as it seems a reasonable amount for the car.

Good luck with it.

the revenue's omsp is the estimated total price the car sells for in Ireland, everything included.

It is used to calculate a VRT value for somebody importing a car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement