Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird overclocking problem

• 27-07-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I have a p965t-a, not an overclocking mobo at all but from what I've read the limited options it has work fine. In the bios I can change multiplier, and change fsb to any of 200/233/266/333. but no matter WHAT I set to what, it always equals stock speed. Like if I set fsb of 266, the multiplier is 9, but if I change to 333 it is reported as 333 but the multiplier changes down to 6 so I can't get a 1mhz increase!

It's an E2160. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ok well I tried the E2160 in my other machine and very disappointed. My main machine isn't great for OC'ing either, but I can easily get my 6400 up to 2.6Ghz no problems steady just by changing fsb. I can barely get the E2160 up 100mhz on 1.8Ghz, even though its also meant to be a great overclocker. Have had to clear cmos few times now because it simply will not boot once I try going up. I'm literally hitting a wall at a pathetic 1.9Ghz

It's also very, very hot - I tried it with stock cooler in my second machine it was intended for, 37c idle - assumed it was just bad thermal paste so used it in main machine with a good triple heatpipe cooler and fresh paste - still the same, give or take a single degree, 35-37c idle. Thats about 9-10c hotter then my 6400 @ 2.6Ghz idle.

Did I just somehow manage to get a ****ty chip or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

what stepping is it ?

Not sure will have to check that.

Ok I seem to have gotten over the limit, seems ok now that I've used different ram.

Oh and the ECS mobo is still the same, an absolute piece of garbage. But anyway. On my msi mobo I have it at about 2.35Ghz but I can't go any higher because the bios is limited to max 265 fsb for the 2160. Interestingly it performs almost identical to my 6400 at the same speed so it definitely seems like great value for money if I can only imagine whats possible on a better board....temps are still pretty hot, about 35-38c idle but remaining the same despite 500mhz odd overlock.

One question re: ram. I'm running my 667mhz at 5-5-5-15 at 533mhz so it would be 1:1 with the 265fsb. It seems to be running OK now. Any suggestions on this - do I need to even touch voltage. I changed it from 1.85 to 2.00 because for some reason it kept crashing on reboot on 1.85, but I don't know why and I didn't think I'd need to change voltage when I'm lowering frequency on my ram?

Ok another problem - using 5-5-5-12 at 533mhz and 2.0v it boots fine, stable, run 3dmark'06 no problems to end. Yet if I restarted or turn off and turn on it just refuses to post. Any idea why? Or why it works 100% stable in windows and then crashes on restart...

That was meant to be 5-5-5-15 above, mistake, and I can't seem to edit anything tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

is 5-5-5-15 the standard timings?

No, I was using those so I knew they'd work. I tried standard timings and its the same...

Advertisement