Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jet skies??

Options
  • 27-07-2007 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

does anybody know the full story with them dreaded things..
    are they banned completely from the bay..

was down salthill and saw 2 launch off the slipway, when i mentioned the signs at the top they said "it's all been sorted" whatever that means..

IMHO they should be banned outright.. seen too many close calls with swimmers..

if they are allowed to come that close you will see me doing more target practice ( see signature ) :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They are NOT banned from Galway Bay. Those sign's were erected without permission from Galway Harbour Company, who is in control of the waters at Palmer's Rock.... You can launch away and noone can say anything, not even the Guards.

IMHO I wouldnt ski there, too many swimmers. I'd head out to Barna or Spiddal pier, or out to Rinville. Salthill is a bit too much of a 'show off' spot tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Use of jet-skis in all waters within the City Council area are banned under a bye-law passed in 1997. It also limits the speed of fast moving-craft except Garda and rescue craft.
    This bye-law has never been enforced by the Council or by An Garda.

Phone Parks & Recreation on 091 536505 for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ooh, they're too fast, and loud, ban them!

How bout regulating the use of them to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all parties?

snubbleste wrote:
    Use of jet-skis in all waters within the City Council area are banned under a bye-law passed in 1997. It also limits the speed of fast moving-craft except Garda and rescue craft.
    This bye-law has never been enforced by the Council or by An Garda.

Phone Parks & Recreation on 091 536505 for more information.

City council being LAND & River Corrib.

Once you hit the water at Salthill you're out of city council area so you're legally free to use your JetSki at Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote:
    City council being LAND & River Corrib.

Once you hit the water at Salthill you're out of city council area so you're legally free to use your JetSki at Salthill

Nope, sorry, City Council area covers the sea and foreshore from Silver Strand east to Ballyloughane. Same as Galway County Council area covers the rest of the sea and foreshore in County Galway. The City Council are legally empowered to pass bye laws covering this sea area. Sad thing is once they pass a bye law they do nothing to enforce it, so jetskiers just do what they like anyway. Assholes! There should be zones for swimmers, anglers and other users where PWCs are not permitted, and zones where they are...

Now, where would I get my hands on some of those exploding mines?? :D

• Advertisement

Nope, sorry, City Council area covers the sea and foreshore from Silver Strand east to Ballyloughane. Same as Galway County Council area covers the rest of the sea and foreshore in County Galway. The City Council are legally empowered to pass bye laws covering this sea area. Sad thing is once they pass a bye law they do nothing to enforce it, so jetskiers just do what they like anyway. Assholes! There should be zones for swimmers, anglers and other users where PWCs are not permitted, and zones where they are...

Now, where would I get my hands on some of those exploding mines?? :D

Funny how the Harbour Master of Galway seems to disagree. Brian Sheridan told a group of us personally (So, from the horses mouth, so to speak) that the Galway Harbour Company are in control of the waters from Silver Strand to Thawin (sp?) Island), which makes sense and (edit) were NOT contacted prior to these new sign's being erected at Palmer's rock. I reckon they'll be removed, but that's just my opinion, may not happen

I can't be bothered scanning my chart's to show you the line, but you get the idea. The funny thing is that the 'Powerboat ban' on Galway bay that Galway City Council are proposing stretches from Blackrock Marker - South Cardinal (Opposite Ladies Beach), Mutton Island Marker - Navigational Black/White Lighthouse west of Ballyloughan...... Now, tell me, if they bring that powerboat ban into effect (Taking note of what exactly a powerboat is, everything from a dinghy, to an oil tanker to a Navy ship) how is the Navy, twawlers and oil tanker's gonna get into the Docks? It makes me (And everyone else i've talked to who actually has a clue) laugh... This is why no one is taking it seriously. People can rant and whine and fuss all they want but no one's listening

(Another Edit) OP, if you think that a Jet Ski is causing a safety concern, ring the Gardai, they'll be waiting for the JetSkier at Palmers Rock when they return, don't get involved yourself unless asked to by the Gardai. 'Close calls' from the shore can be decieving (sp) .... The water can fool the eye. I had one gimp (We had issued a SE-CUR-A-TE to GalwayCG just incase) try to verbally attack me once for 'being too close to the shore' (On a powerboat, not a jetski), wasn't so smart when we stated that we had a valid reason for being there (Searching for a body)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote:
    Funny how the Harbour Master of Galway seems to disagree. Brian Sheridan told a group of us personally (So, from the horses mouth, so to speak) that the Galway Harbour Company are in control of the waters from Silver Strand to Thawin (sp?) Island), which makes sense and (edit) were NOT contacted prior to these new sign's being erected at Palmer's rock. I reckon they'll be removed, but that's just my opinion, may not happen

I can't be bothered scanning my chart's to show you the line, but you get the idea. The funny thing is that the 'Powerboat ban' on Galway bay that Galway City Council are proposing stretches from Blackrock Marker - South Cardinal (Opposite Ladies Beach), Mutton Island Marker - Navigational Black/White Lighthouse west of Ballyloughan...... Now, tell me, if they bring that powerboat ban into effect (Taking note of what exactly a powerboat is, everything from a dinghy, to an oil tanker to a Navy ship) how is the Navy, twawlers and oil tanker's gonna get into the Docks? It makes me (And everyone else i've talked to who actually has a clue) laugh... This is why no one is taking it seriously. People can rant and whine and fuss all they want but no one's listening

(Another Edit) OP, if you think that a Jet Ski is causing a safety concern, ring the Gardai, they'll be waiting for the JetSkier at Palmers Rock when they return, don't get involved yourself unless asked to by the Gardai. 'Close calls' from the shore can be decieving (sp) .... The water can fool the eye. I had one gimp (We had issued a SE-CUR-A-TE to GalwayCG just incase) try to verbally attack me once for 'being too close to the shore' (On a powerboat, not a jetski), wasn't so smart when we stated that we had a valid reason for being there (Searching for a body)

AFAIK the Harbour Company is in charge of the shipping channel only. The reason the HC are against the proposal to ban PWCs is that the only launching point would be at Palmers Rock - PWCs would have to launch here and drive straight out into the shipping channel - possible conflict with commercial craft. That's also straight from the horse's mouth - was at a meeting in the city council where the guy from the harbour company said this.

There are responsible people in PWCs for sure, You're probably one of em John, but the minority who don't give a **** give the rest a bad name. For that reason, I think areas zoned for different uses are the way to go. Its essential for a safe swimming area. It also removes conflict with anglers. Try having a jetski drive parallel to shore at 50 yards when you've cast 100 - sometimes you'd love on your next cast to land a lump of lead right between their eyes!

Galwayguy - I feel your frustration. I am a waterbaby, spent every chance I get on either the Corrib or Galway Bay. I range from kayacking/swimming/powerboating/PWC'ing

YES, there *are* dopes out there who just don't give a crap and give the rest of the users a bad name... kinda like 'boy racers' compared to 'car enthusiasts' (sp?)

To answer your question, Galway HC are in control of *all* waters from a LineOfSight from the Cliffs at Silver Strand to the westerly tip of Thaiwn (sp? doh) Island. Any byelaws etc. that want to be introduced to the east of this line must get the all clear from Galway HC. That's why the ban of PWC's at Palmer's rock is invalid, anyone is perfectly entitled to launch any type of powerboat ATM *anywhere* in Galway Bay. If you want 'proof', e-mail Brian Sheridan (www.galwayharbourcompany.com will get you his address) and he can confirm this for the east of this 'line' i'm talking about.

Just one final note - It would be impossible for a PWC, or any powercraft infact, to drive 50yards parallel to the shore at Salthill - Those spit's (or whatever you call them, the bunch of rocks to control sand movement) go out around 200 yards. The closest i've ever seen any PWC (And ive seen the worst of them) come to the shore is around 500 yards realisticly (Which I don't condone, but just putting it out there)

What we need in Galway is designated zones, just like in Spain etc. The council/Galway HC should introduce a PWC zone east of Palmers Rock (Between Mutton Island and Kitty O' Sheas). It would be damn simple too, all it would take is a few bouy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

They're banned from the river but not the Bay. Designated zones the way to go! Ah I love my jet-ski!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Whenever I see power boats I think of when that Mexican millionaire killed Kirsty Maccoll (RIP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

jet ski's rock, anyone who doesnt like them has a vagina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

DRakE wrote:

You got 3 reported posts on this one, Drake. From the same guy. Keep up the good work. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JohnCleary wrote:
    Salthill is a bit too much of a 'show off' spot tbh

QFT.I went to school with two plonkers that used jet skis there and yes they were attention seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

DRakE wrote:

Like pregnant old me?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote:
    Whenever I see power boats I think of when that Mexican millionaire killed Kirsty Maccoll (RIP).
    I think in December we all hear Fairytale of New York a little too much but that's taking it a bit far.

You got 3 reported posts on this one, Drake. From the same guy. Keep up the good work. ;)
    I please to aim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JohnCleary wrote:
    Just one final note - It would be impossible for a PWC, or any powercraft infact, to drive 50yards parallel to the shore at Salthill - Those spit's (or whatever you call them, the bunch of rocks to control sand movement) go out around 200 yards. The closest i've ever seen any PWC (And ive seen the worst of them) come to the shore is around 500 yards realisticly (Which I don't condone, but just putting it out there)

Are you sure about this? I was at Salthill a while back and there were 2 plonkers on jet skis down near Leisureland area and there is no way they were more than 100yds out from shore. I thought at the time that it was a bit mad as they were closer in at times than the spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I don't mind the jet skis in the bay it's the muppets who come up as far as the spanish arch and then speed off in the direction of the bay again. I saw one nearly take the head of a seal one night ..idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

those that say jet skies are cool need educating..
    in other countries that are used as a sport which is ok.... but over here they are used more as a status symbol, or should i say used just to show off by attention seekers..

there are only a few lads i have seen who go out into the bay and stay out there.. the rest of them prick about between 20yrds and 100yrds showing off..
    i have seen them chase swans, seals, seagulls and play chicken with other jetskies at 60yrds from the shore with swimmers approx 5yrds from them..

they serve absolutely no purpose in this country.. please someone prove me wrong.. it is not yet a sport here..
    i have seen children let loose on them.. would you give a 10yr old the keys to a 550cc motorbike and let them drive up the prom.. i don't think so ..

i have nothing against people who want to take a leisurely spin out into the bay.. but why do they consistently fart around within a stones throw from the shore..

rant over.... :mad:

they serve absolutely no purpose in this country
    hmm
    i have nothing against people who want to take a leisurely spin out into the bay

leisurely spins are a purpose..
    i have seen children let loose on them.. would you give a 10yr old the keys to a 550cc motorbike and let them drive up the prom.. i don't think so ..
    apples and oranges again with that argument..

basically your going all emo for no reason other than to wind everyone up.. have you ever tried a jetski?

• Advertisement

LOL ya make me laugh. Coming within 5 yards of swimmers? You're having a laugh, right? Were you one of those swimmers? 20 yards from the shore? Dude you need to learn how to measure, or book an appointment at Specsavers (I know a pretty good optician in there I could give you her number if you like?)

As I said before I don't jetski out at Salthill at all (Again, as I said before, a bit of a 'show off' spot imho)

I would NOT advise going too far offshore on a Jetski, nor would the RNLI. Instead, p1ss off somewhere that there arent people swimming etc. What do you do if you break down? Yer pretty screwed and you wouldn't be long getting tired/cold 5 miles offshore in the main shipping channel.

If you've seen Jetski'ers chase wildlife, ring the GSPCA or the Guards. Not much point in writing it on an internet forum tbh
    in other countries that are used as a sport which is ok.... but over here they are used more as a status symbol, or should i say used just to show off by attention seekers..

there are only a few lads i have seen who go out into the bay and stay out there.. the rest of them prick about between 20yrds and 100yrds showing off..
    i have seen them chase swans, seals, seagulls and play chicken with other jetskies at 60yrds from the shore with swimmers approx 5yrds from them..

they serve absolutely no purpose in this country.. please someone prove me wrong.. it is not yet a sport here..

i have nothing against people who want to take a leisurely spin out into the bay.. but why do they consistently fart around within a stones throw from the shore..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

JohnCleary wrote:
    LOL ya make me laugh. Coming within 5 yards of swimmers? You're having a laugh, right? Were you one of those swimmers? 20 yards from the shore? Dude you need to learn how to measure, or book an appointment at Specsavers (I know a pretty good optician in there I could give you her number if you like?)

erm actually i'm quite good at judging distances.. need to be with the amount of fishing competitions i do.. and yes i was once a swimmer that a jetski came within 15 foot of.. never gone swimming in salthill since..

as stated before.. if a jetskier wants to annoy me by commig within range of a 4oz lead, its not my fault if said lead finds its way to contact such craft while i'm casting..

as for trying a jet ski.. never felt the urge to make a complete fool out of my self..

maybe its just me... then again.. maybe i'm just a voice expressing an opinion for those that cant

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bit of a bump but I just came across this pic on a friends page

jetskilo9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

just readin through this thread, keepin an open mind to both sides of the argument,but Bikos pic adds a lot of weight to the anti power boat brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

there is nothing wrong with jetskis, however there is something wrong with muppets like that guy above who is just being a wanker.

it does not make a difference that he was on a jetski

could easily have been a whale. lol.

jetskilo9copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Heh.

I don't particularly like jet skis, there appears to be very little skill involved in operating one compared to other water craft which would leave me to believe that there is a quick learning curve, which could cause a lack of respect for the power and potential danger of it all.

Having said that, each to their own. Jetskiiers should be allowed to have their fun as long as they do it in a sensible place. I windsurf a lot, it is also a fast and potentially hazardous activity, but we have the sense to do it in spots well away from where people might be swimming.

I'm not having a go at all jet-skiiers by the way, just the "boy racer" element described by JohnCleary.

Edit: just realised this thread is ancient :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

you sound like one very very boring person..
    since when does a leisure item lik a jet ski need to serve some purpose?

biko - Could you get me in touch with the person who took that photo? I would love to get some more information. That picture is a disgrace and is an insult to people trying to promote the safe use of PWC's in Ireland. I'm after spending the weekend in Westport with the ISA creating a PWC training course (We created the syllabus (sp?) this weekend) to try and educate people who own PWC's - What took place in that picture is a total insult to responsible users

Please PM me biko if you have contact details for the person who took that photo. If that PWC driver got it wrong there they would have been nailed against the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If that PWC driver got it wrong there they would have been nailed against the wall
    or injured an innocent bystander?...

• Advertisement

or injured an innocent bystander?...

Because of the high tide at the time, yes, a definate possibility. But what would have been guaranteed is an injured driver/passenger

Advertisement