Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three making people share IP addresses?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Every time I try and download off a site that has a usage limit(eg. megaupload.com, rapidshare.com), it says I've downloaded what I'm only allowed. But the thing is I've not downloaded anything off them. I was thinking three are making people share IP addresses and others might be doing the downloading.

Are I just being paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

NAT maybe? I wouldnt think they would do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yep, their whole network is proxied through a few UK IP addresses. Makes lots of things broken. Obviously the Cheapskates don't want to pay for real IP and want to limit what you do.

This is maybe what comes of being a Phone company and not an Internet Service Provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This used to happen to me with Sky DSL. Don't know what he story is exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Probably a transparent proxy server somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

watty wrote:
    Yep, their whole network is proxied through a few UK IP addresses. Makes lots of things broken.

The issue of IP's being blocked by spamhaus is a pain. Happened 3 times so far, for about 4/5 hours each time. And on thurs night could not take seat at an online poker tournament as "my" ip was already seated. Not end of the world stuff, just annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

3 ireland will be using an irish isp from next week, we'll probably still be sharing ip's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Will that improve overall service slightly then? Should help ping times should it not (at least to Irish servers)?

Sharing IP's isn't that big a problem for most. Megaupload and Rapidshare are usually used for pirating from what I've seen of them. I don't use either service, I've used megaupload for uploading a help guide that was too big to fit on the bullitin board size limit but that's it.

I think for most people, shared IP's has no real effect. The odd thing I've noticed when my little brother was using bittorrent tonight was that we were getting faster speeds with bit torrent than we were getting downloading in Firefox or Opera web browsers using Utorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ping times are inherently over 100ms. I've see 170ms (limerick) to 350ms (Dublin), poth pinging ftp.heanet.ie on 02.

GPRS uses GSM bases (< 64k). A 3 handset doing downloads surely only can use 3G (max 384k). Not many handsets can use HSDPA. I'd have assumed that a bit like having 802.11b (11mbps) on a 54g WiFi base (802.11g, 54Mbps) it limits the speed of the 54g adaptor to 11mbps while the slower WiFi is on line. I know 3G / HDSPDA doesn't quite work like that, but I can't see how having 3G only downloads doesn't impact badly on HSDPA bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

brim4brim wrote:

Sharing IP's isn't that big a problem for most. Megaupload and Rapidshare are usually used for pirating from what I've seen of them. I don't use either service, I've used megaupload for uploading a help guide that was too big to fit on the bullitin board size limit but that's it.

I would like to open ports on my system so I could run server applications. Putting everyone through the one IP stops that.

Even with a crappy dial up connection you get your own IP address. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra euros for an ip (although really it should be standard with any bb service...)

Advertisement