Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Question

Options
  • 27-07-2007 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area to post in but here goes anyway. I was pulled over by an unmarked squad car. I think they were the rapid response unit as the guard had a bullet proof vest on. Anyway he said I was pulled for running a red light on Baggot Street. I said nothing, and to be fair I did. It was orange and I thought I would make it but it went red so hands up, no excuses there.
    Anyway, he checked my licence, tax, nct all the usual and took my details, asked me where I was coming from and to and all that. In the end he said "I'm going to make a lawful request for you to produce your certificate of Insurance and your long form NCT at your local guarda station within the next 7 days." And off he went. Does this mean I didn't get a ticket/penalty points for runnig the light or is it in the post or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Doubt it, amounts to an unofficial caution at worst. Show your documents & you can ask at the station but I reckon you're in the clear.
    BTW a lot of gardai are wearing stab vests these days, could have been a regular unmarked unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Don't think I'll be asking at the station. Defo won't bring that up. Might give them ideas. It was a routine stop, show off the forms and run like hell. That's what I though, I'm lucky. Kudos to the Guardai. I suppose it helped I didn't give any lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Gardaí d'ont really carry ticket books anymore but he will possible issue you a ticket by post which he can do at the station. He has all your details so would be easy enough to do.The Garda also made a lawfull demand "I am now lawfully demanding under section 69 of the road traffic act,1961 to 2006, the production of your certificate of insurance or exemption at a Garda station of your choice within ten days.Which Garda station do you choose?". I would bet you will get points for this.If you don't bring your insurance cert(not disc) to the station you will be summonsed for not being insured,so make sure you bring it in .Hope this helps P.S all gardaí are issued with stab vests which must be worn on duty nad are bullet proof to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Surely he must inform the driver of an offence and the penalty involved? If the OP was just asked to produce I'd doubt if any more will come of it. Police use their best judgement in these cases; as long as its a minor incident and you don't get lippy usually you'll get away with a caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cjt156 wrote:
    Surely he must inform the driver of an offence and the penalty involved?
    Judging by a lot of posts here on this subject in the past, they don't seem to advise people when they're stopped of what further action will be taken for some reason best known to themselves. Usually the next thing you hear is a Penalty Points notice dropping on your doormat. Very unprofessional, if you ask me, but what's new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

cjt156 wrote:
    Surely he must inform the driver of an offence and the penalty involved? If the OP was just asked to produce I'd doubt if any more will come of it. Police use their best judgement in these cases; as long as its a minor incident and you don't get lippy usually you'll get away with a caution.

I think that's right. When I got stopped for speeding, the garda did tell me that I would be getting 2 points and a fine up front. I'd say you'll be fine if you just show your dox at your local cop shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Sorry to tell you mate but you're gonna get the fine and points in the post in a month or two.

Same thing happened to me, not gonna tell you what the offence was but suffice to say the garda told me too produce my documents at a station of my choice, never mentioned any points so I thought I had gotten away with it :D . Went to the station, kept quiet and the nxt thing I know about 6 weeks later I get the fine in the post :( .

Advertisement