Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID and new underwear needed

Options
  • 27-07-2007 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

I was out shooting macros in the garden a month or so ago and only got around to converting the pics a while ago. I was trying to get a bee in flight.
    So I was happily shooting away and doing what u should do in insect macros, shooting from a distance and slowly moving in. I had decided on a bee to follow and was happily clicking, when out of nowhere this thing appeared in the blink of an eye and gave me the fright of my life :(

I leapt back about 6ft......well it was extremely large in the viewfinder of the camera :o
    I checked my books and couldn't come up with an exact ID, I was wondering if anyone here had an idea?

garden6827cx0.jpg

garden6828ag9.jpg

**Edit** Forgot to mention, the bee got away :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Wow. Great shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was this in Ireland? Doesn't look like any spider I've ever seen here :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Stay exactly where you are a special CDC biological containment unit is heading for your back garden as we speak.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yep, the back garden is unfortunately in Ireland, Waterford to be precise. I'd say it's a crab spider. It didn't have a web and just lunged out of nowhere to have a go at mr. bee.

In one of the earlier shots I took you can sort of make out two legs cocked and waiting. They look exactly like the stamen of the flowers, just a little larger.

A bit more info, it was hidden in an Echium, which is now about 12-13ft tall and is looming over everything else like something from the Day of the Triffids.

Yeah, I did a bit of Googling and came up with it possibly being a Crab Spider. Possibly one of this family ?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Thomisidae/Thomisidae.htm

I've seen other references on the web to members of this spider family quickly adapting their colouring to their surroundings (within a few days) so you can't go much on the colours you see in pictures of them .. they'll all be slightly different, so it might be a bit difficult to get a 100% accurate ID on this one.

• Advertisement

Aha!
    The front two legs, that are often larger and stronger than the other six, are held sideways, ready to catch the prey immediately.

The only thing that bothers me is that the body of the spider is larger than any of the ones mentioned on that page.

Ah well if the cap fits and all that.
    Glad to know I have a venomous spider in the back garden though! Even if it is harmless to humans.

Roen wrote:
    The only thing that bothers me is that the body of the spider is larger than any of the ones mentioned on that page.
    You're right .. yours does seem to have a particularly bulbous abdomen.

Maybe you could send the photo to one of the Arachnological societies, such as http://www.britishspiders.org.uk/html/bas.php (Couldn't find an Irish equivalent), or maybe take it to the Natural History Museum (once they've fixed the stairs!!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Great pics!!.......exotic looking spider, never tought something like that would be in ireland.

It could have been preggers I suppose.
    I think the best bet would be one of the ID Needed groups on Flickr, a lot of boffins inhabit those spaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

would this guy be the same specie??.........he was hanging on the hall wall this afternoon

btw he was tiny, no bigger than a penny

crabspider1nf0.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks like some of the ones in the article Alun posted alright.
    Mad colours. It must be trying to blend in with the wall paper ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

New pair of brown trousers on the way. :) Great shots. *shiver down back*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is Misumena vatia. It does seem to be given the english name Goldenrod Crab spider in north America with the general name for this genus (family) being Flower crab spider.

Here's a good page on it.

I've seen white, yellow and blue forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Looks a bit like a Preying Mantis

Just spotted this guy out in the garden .. the bee is a goner, I'm afraid :( Looks similar to Roen's example but he's all white. I guess that's because he's living in an all white flower?

20070802184305croppedqv7.th.jpg

P.S. click on the thumbnail if you want to see his hairy legs in excruciating detail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alun wrote: »
    Just spotted this guy out in the garden .. the bee is a goner, I'm afraid :( Looks similar to Roen's example but he's all white. I guess that's because he's living in an all white flower?

20070802184305croppedqv7.th.jpg

P.S. click on the thumbnail if you want to see his hairy legs in excruciating detail :)
    Yeah, from the same bits i've read the crab spider female changes colour to match its surroundings, it takes about 2-3 days.
    I've seen marco shots of them where you can only just make them out as not being part of the flower

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

vicious little bucks when they'd take on a bee:eek::eek::eek:

OP I hope you got the underpants sorted......:D:D;)

Ah I wasn't wearing any ;)

Advertisement