Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Ladder

• 27-07-2007 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Am looking for someone to supply and fit an attic ladder for me, have already floored and have a light fitted up there so just the ladder needs doing.

Any ideas where and how much it'll cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,185 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I did mine about two years ago. If I remember well it cost €200 including the plastering, but not the painting. It takes two people to do the job. Looking back I think it was a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Aldini98 wrote:
    Am looking for someone to supply and fit an attic ladder for me, have already floored and have a light fitted up there so just the ladder needs doing.

Any ideas where and how much it'll cost ?
    www.stira.ie

I think its about €450

I got one in 6-7yrs ago and well worth it. Top quality ladder that will last a lifetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

They can be supplied and fitted for approx €350. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I forgot to mention, €200 was to fit. I can't remember how much I paid for the ladder itself.

• Advertisement

Finneganjp wrote:
    They can be supplied and fitted for approx €350. ;)
    who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Look in the paper. I see them advertised all the time for €350 approx. I bought mine (Frako) last year for €110 and fitted it myself. If your a competent DIYer its not that hard, just akward.
    :D
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shoppingref.aspx?loc=C&catid=11.6

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I Got A Guy To Do Mine Last Week.
    Supply And Fot For 160 Euro.
    Nothing Fancy Now, Just A Metal Ladder With Handrail.

I've seen the metal ones and they do the job, but if you plan on using it a lot and taking some heavy stuff up & down like I do, better off to invest in something a little stronger & durable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,628 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Had a Styra from, I dunno, maybe 10 years ago. Brilliant, solid, easy to pull down and replace. Wide, firm wooden steps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I've seen the metal ones and they do the job, but if you plan on using it a lot and taking some heavy stuff up & down like I do, better off to invest in something a little stronger & durable

deffo agree, depends on what you plan to use the attic for.
    i can only use whats left of my attic for storage (as i already have the attic converted from new) hence why the metal one suited me.

if i was using the ladder alot i would of deffo considered a styra stairs or similar as they are alot more durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

I saw the wooden ones recently for sale in TJ Mahoneys in Ballymount for €99.(or there abouts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

I have a guy fitting 3 for me on wednesday , €315 supply and fit with a handrail. He's in Meath if you want his number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Beware of cheap ones. Had a cheap aluminum one fitted recently and it just feels very flimsy and it stops at the opening, so getting back onto it to go down again feels quite precarious. Also incorporates a flimsy looking catch for the attic door, so an extra bolt required to lessen the possibility of it coming down on someones head. Think I'll take it down again and just throw up a proper ladder whenever I need to go up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Hi,
    Does anyone have an opinion about Woodies attic ladders?

Thay are nice and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

fitted all types of attic ladders for 20 + years now ,metal and wooden ,if youre using youre attic any more regular than the chrimbo decs and one or two other times a year a wooden ladders youre only job,longer lasting and sturdier!!!!
    around 150 to 250 to fit only is around right ,it all depends on trimming out that needs to be done !
    those woodies ones are as good as any !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

And whatever you do, make the opening a large one. The ease offered by a large opening (as opposed to wriggling around on steps, 2 hands holding a too-large box) isn't to be sniffed at. It costs you next to nothing extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,628 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with Antiskeptic about making the access big enough. Styra took out a section of rafter when ours was done to give us a 32(ish) inch opening. We also moved it out of the bathroom where access was too cramped and it opened immediately under the rafters, to the hall.
    The stairs is still absolutely solid, no shift or damage to the ceiling, in use on a regular basis, best IR£200 we have spent.
    You will probably want to put up flooring sheets etc so make sure you have plenty of clearance overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

bluepost wrote: »
    I used Original Attic Stairs and I must say they were very professional and their stairs have a nice finish. Went for the Thermo attic stairs. Would highly recommend! Hope this helps.

How much did that cost, do you mind me asking ?

DOH ! Just clicked the link :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Looking at getting one myself. Any recommendations to get a ladder and a bit of flooring? I am not talking conversion and I'd like someone to do the fitting, rather than DIY. Typical storing the Christmas decorations, suitcases, out of season clothing and bedding etc. I basically want a two-piece aluminium ladder. It is a small mid-terrace house, approx 28 foot by 14 foot. The attic door is in the smallest of the 3 bedrooms. There are 2 sky lights running floor to roof through the attic, a big water tank and lots of supporting beams from the floor to the roof in it, so there are only parts that are truly accessible and usable. Certainly not your typical largely open-plan attic. I've looked at the following, plus a few others:

http://www.atticladders.ie/

http://www.atticladders.com

http://www.aluvalatticladders.com/

http://www.ladders.ie

Atticladders.com looks pretty good, as does Atticladders.ie, though a little more expensive. Aluval seems to be the best value, more flooring than the others for similar prices. On the other hand their website is a bit plain, just a single page and there is only a mobile number, though they have an 1890 in the phonebook, so I am wondering about them. Before contacting any of them, I thought I'd check around a bit. Has anyone had any dealings with any of these or got other recommendations based on my requirements and the attic we have? Preferably a Dublin area company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stewy18

hi flukey,
    i am looking to do this,
    just storage on the attic,
    how did you get on?,
    great if u can tell me,
    thanks

Advertisement