Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Comments (No joke, but read anyway)

Options
  • 27-07-2007 9:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Right,
    Can we end this crap about no negative comments?
    Heckling is an integral part of humour. It is important for feedback, and is often funny itself.
    What started the whole no negative comments thing anyway?

And I don't mean, "That's joke's ****e, I'm going to murder your children for that" kind of negative comment. Just normal stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Poll?

It's up to the mods really though. I would fear that posters would refrain from posting in case they get slated for bad jokes. I also hate the 'this was posted last week' or 'so old' type comments.

The rating system is the way to go IMHO. I don't even open a thread that has only 1 or 2 stars.

Edit/ I'll give this thread 5 stars to get people in to read it. This would kind of prove that the current rating system works. (Once the thread is rated by enough people and it does get 5 stars...)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Well I don't generally have a problem with negative comments, I mean what one person finds funny another one won't, it's just a matter of taste. What i do have a problem with is people who make negative comments but don't post jokes themselves. It's just like down the pub where someone says your jokes are crap, and then you ask them to tell one and all you get is, "I can't remember any", or I don't tell Jokes well", or something. Sorry but i don't buy it, they're just afraid someone will say their jokes are rubbish. I mean I forget jokes all the time, we all do, but at least we try. It doesn't take that much energy to post a joke, you can copy from another forum (not that there's any other good forums out there, sorry Haggar) or joke page/book whatever, and it's not as if you have to remember anything. Forums are only there because people add to them. Once you start contributing then you can start criticising, if criticising is what you want to do. Sorry got a bit serious there. End of Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

It really doesn't matter to me if I don't get any reaction to a joke that I post. I just post it because I liked it, and perhaps some others will.
    But what I can't understand is what people think is wrong with an old joke. We have sessions at various social events and gatherings ;) that I attend where people are actively encouraged to dust off and redeliver jokes that are literally decades old. One person is so good at telling jokes that people are almost submitting requests for his old favourites. If a young student is sitting at the back of the room, trying to make his Bacardi Breezer last all night, overhears the joke, and later posts it on Boards Humour forum, then that's great. There is absolutely no doubt that someone passing through will not have heard it before, and if he gives the student a thumbs up or a few stars, that might make his day. If you see a joke you've heard before, just inwardly groan and pass on by. It's an old joke, and you've heard it before because you're old too. No need to spoil a great forum by being an old grumpy-boots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Poll?

That would feel more like ganging up on the mods. I just want to gentley push the suggestion of not getting banned for telling Hagar how ****e his jokes are. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

But what I can't understand is what people think is wrong with an old joke.

Agreed, but there's a difference between an old joke and a joke that has been posted every week for the past two months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

I agree, if a joke is crap it is crap and duty bound to be heckled. The rating system is pants, anyway star actually looks good.

Allow for heckling please, no more Nazi moderators with their one week bans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Oriel wrote:
    That would feel more like ganging up on the mods. I just want to gentley push the suggestion of not getting banned for telling Hagar how ****e his jokes are. :)

That's already allowed. I can't remember where I said it but if anyone wants to look for it I'm on record as saying my own jokes were open to slagging with no comeback. I tell groaners from time to time just for fun, but I also tell good ones. I usually keep them for when I think the Forum could do with a lift and it works. It encourages other posters to put up good jokes. A bit of competition like.

I love the Humour Forum. It was where I spent most of my time on Boards for a long long time. I just love jokes, wisecracks, gags. I'd hate to think that someone was put off the Forum by smart comments about their jokes.

I accept that heckling is part of a comedians lot but the posters here are not professional comedians. I don't think some of them would keep posting if they just got pilloried everytime someone didn't like their jokes. I can honestly say I haven't heard a new joke in a long time. I've heard them all I think. But not everyone else has. What's an old joke to you or me is a cracking new joke to someone else.

I have to admit I had resevations about the "no negative comments" bit in the Charter but the more I have to work with it the more sensible it seems. I take on board a comment made earlier that any star looks like a good star but it's all we have to work with. I'd love something like 5 Gold thumbs up to 5 red thumbs down as an indicator but that's just a dream for now.

I'd just ask people to encourage posters and not be negative. Please do not put myself and the other Mods in a position where we have to take actions that we don't enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Spot on there Hagar. Long may you run.

Here's a quote from poor old Bernard Manning, when he met a young comedian staggering off the stage after a tough encounter with a hostile audience.

Manning - "Do you mind a bit of constructive criticism, son?"
    Comedian - "No Mr Manning, not at all".
    Manning - "You were crap!"

There's a subtle difference between this and the dismissive "crap" seen quite often from Trolls on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Well maybe us that are happy to get slated for bad jokes in our signature mention we are open to constructive criticism for or jokes or something, as Oriel mentioned sometimes the negative replys can be just as funny and sometimes are justly warranted,

but i think we would all hate for a newbie to our joke forum to get run of or have there feelings hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The rule was put in by the previous mod and acted on by the one before me or Hagar.

What really gets me is posters slamming jokes and moaning that they have heard it before, telling the poster to do a search and moan and bitch in general. The posters that often do this are the ones that don't contribute anything to the forum apart their negative comments.

Since I kick started the rule again I have seen a marked improvement on the rating system. Most threads have a rating and it looks better in my opinion.

Sometimes the worst jokes in the world can make you laugh, just for the groan factor. Others are down right terrible, but to the OP might have found it somewhat amusing.

If all a poster is getting is negative comments, then it won't belong before they stop contributing to the forum.

When you view the Humour forum, use the rated threads as good/bad joke filter system.

/gives thread 5*
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I dont see the need for negative comments at all... You either like a joke or you don´t. If you do, give it a good rating, if you don´t then give it a bad one. Theres no need for hostility just because you personally didnt enjoy a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Rabies wrote:
    The posters that often do this are the ones that don't contribute anything to the forum apart their negative comments.

My point exactly, as regards heckling, 9 out of 10 times it's not funny, (how many times have you been to stand-up and just wished the persistent heckler would shut the hell up with their stupid comments?) and this isn't stand-up where you have professional comedians telling jokes (but i bet a few of them might rob them off the forum and put them in their show) but just average Joes, posting. Why don't you start a heckling and negative comment sticky and people who don't mind having their jokes, heckled or thrashed can put them up there? I would say it would not take long for people to stop posting in it. The current thread rating system is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Something that's a lot worse than heckling, imo, is when a thread has 7000 replies of "lol" and ":D".

They contribute absolutely nothing to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The last thing we want is people laughing at the jokes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I agree with OP, not being able to post negative comments is the most stupid rule on any of these forums, it's ridiculous , if a joke is sh1t you should be able to say so, if the problem is people saying they heard it before how about just banning that, let us post negative comments but no one can post heard it before or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

negitive comments usually end up being just as funny if not funnier than the joke itself. Once they're within reason and not like the OP example, of course.
    the rating system is great, just wish more people would use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Hagar wrote:
    The last thing we want is people laughing at the jokes...

Exactly!

Jocularity is not welcome here!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Sofaspud wrote:
    Something that's a lot worse than heckling, imo, is when a thread has 7000 replies of "lol" and ":D".

Couldn't agree more. Since I only read a humour thread for a minute or two, it's easy to forget if I've already read a thread until I've opened it. I don't know how many times I've noticed a thread with new posts and re-read it to see it's one I've already read but with lol, lol, good one, :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

In agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sofaspud wrote:

hmm I disagree.

:)

It shows that you liked it, and appreciate that they posted it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think if the put down is funny it should stay. If its whiney, ban 'em.

The-Rigger wrote:
    hmm I disagree.

:)

It shows that you liked it, and appreciate that they posted it.....
    I disagree. All it does increase the post count.
    I really hate when I log in and see the past 5-6 posts in he humour forum have been made by one person and all they contain is 'lol' 'rofl' or :) The only purpose replying to all the jokes you read is to bump up your post count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

postcount + 1 woot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Rabies wrote:
    I really hate when I log in and see the past 5-6 posts in he humour forum have been made by one person and all they contain is 'lol' 'rofl' or :) The only purpose replying to all the jokes you read is to bump up your post count.

I know there are posters in Humour and all they ever put up is 'LOL :)'. At the same time, if a joke is very funny then I think it's appropriate to praise the OP and show your appreciation. Without this and the '5 stars for that one' type comments I doubt very many of the threads in humour would ever be rated.

This still doesn't excuse the people who posts :D in every single thread.

Maybe make humor a no-post-count forum like TCN? I'd be all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rabies wrote:

I guess some people pay more attention to their post count than others.

What is the alterntive.

People post a joke and thats it, no one responds? Just the OP's post per thread, no one acknowledges them/a good joke?

You missed the point

It's over there
    > .

Advertisement