Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband in Galway city - problems?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey all, I have the NTL Broadband Max package in Galway city, which is nominally 6 Mbps down and 512 kbps up. It has been problem free for several months now, and when I do speed tests I normally get 80%-90% of the nominal speeds which I feel is really good.

However, very recently I've seen a significant drop in speed to about 800 kpbs download and 60 kpbs upload. I think this started yesterday (Thursday the 26th) but it might have been Wednesday. This makes working from home much slower for me, and means my VoIP is basically unusable because of the borderline upload speed.

I logged a call with NTL Support this morning and am waiting for a callback from their Broadband Team.

Anyway, my question is can some other NTL customers in Galway run speed tests at http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php or http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the results?

I suspect the problem is on the NTL network side rather than in my network, and the results of other local speed tests would confirm or contradict that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Never mind, the problem was on my end. The quality of service scripts on my router were upgraded automatically yesterday and the upgrade process changed my download and upload limits so the throttling was being done by my router, not by NTL. All fixed now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

How is 800kps slow? The max I ever got with NTL was 600kps download with 6MB.

Advertisement