Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shambo R.I.P.

• 27-07-2007 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

LONDON (Reuters) - LONDON (Reuters) -The battle to save Shambo the sacred bullock ended on Thursday after police overcame chanting protestors protecting the Frisian at a Hindu monastic community in Wales.

Dozens of praying campaigners had built a shrine for Shambo at the monastery and vowed to save him.

But after a 12-hour stand-off with Welsh Assembly officials, the six-year-old bullock, which has tested positive for bovine tuberculosis, was finally led away to slaughter after police intervened.

"At least everybody that has campaigned for Shambo's survival can go to bed with a clear conscience, having tried everything they could," said a spokesman for the Skanda Vale temple near Carmarthen.

The standoff at the Community of the Many Names of God had followed months of legal wrangling over the fate of Shambo.

An Appeal Court ruled this month that the bullock must die in accordance with government policy of slaughtering TB-positive cattle.

An Indian charity had agreed to take Shambo out of the country and more than 23,500 people signed a protest petition.

Cows are sacred to Hindus and the monastery spokesman said it would be "an appalling desecration of life" if the bullock were killed.

The National Farmers Union says no animal should be exempt from the rules governing TB and that to spare Shambo would be unfair on farmers who have had to see their stock slaughtered.

A spokesman for the Welsh regional government said the option of allowing Shambo to go to India was not possible because it would put other animals and people at risk.

Bye bye Shambo :(

I think I'll have steak for dinner, that'll make me feel better :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm glad about this for one reason only:

We can't allow religions to be exceptions to the law purely because they believe something. The law should be applied equally, belief/religion is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I thought by the thread title this was gonna be a
    post about O'Briens Shambo things coming to an end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm sure we'll see shambo burgers in his memory, wonder who'll be the first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Meh, I love beef but not as much as those freaks. If I was protesting for it (presuming my mental status was out the window) and then I was told it had bovine tuberculosis, then I'd just go:

"Ah, fúck that! I'm going getting 8oZ burger, anyone want one?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

seamus wrote:
    I'm glad about this for one reason only:

We can't allow religions to be exceptions to the law purely because they believe something. The law should be applied equally, belief/religion is irrelevant.

So there we have it the law is the new religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm sure they will end up with a zillion euros compensation from the EU agricultural fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not really.
    I don't know anyone who worships the law.

seamus hit the nail on the head.
    We can't allow exceptions based on religious grounds.
    Religious teachings are far too vague and open to interpretation to allow laws be based on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Saint_Mel wrote:
    I thought by the thread title this was gonna be a
    post about O'Briens Shambo things coming to an end!

The most stupidly titled sandwich ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Shambo's a Sambo :(

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I remember a mate telling me a story about how he was sittin beside a black dude and mention "i'd murder a sambo right now". Black guy looked at him in disgust. Reason, in Ireland Sambo is a sandwich, in Africa it's a dorogatory term for someone with black skin. I think the rest of the world subscribes to this as well seeing as when I type sambo in to google images I get things like ::

http://cache.gawker.com/news/upload/2006/07/sambo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

layke wrote:
    I remember a mate telling me a story about how he was sittin beside a black dude and mention "i'd murder a sambo right now". Black guy looked at him in disgust. Reason, in Ireland Sambo is a sandwich, in Africa it's a dorogatory term for someone with black skin. I think the rest of the world subscribes to this as well seeing as when I type sambo in to google images I get things like ::

I could have said sandwich but the comic value would have been much less !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

layke wrote:

That's the black dude's problem tbh, no reason for us not to say "sambo". Get with the lingo, and all that.

How about, "I'd murder a cracker right now"? Would a white tourist from L.A. get offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Coming from a farming background all I'll say is thank Christ sense prevailed.

TB is feckin contagious and feckin deadly.

I know some guys who've had animals who got it and there whole herd got to go. And it was though on those guys. I mean I know they got compensation but they don't get it immediately. They were essentially left at a loose end for 6 months with their livelyhood destroyed. It was like unemployment for some of them.

You can't employ the rules differently. It's always though on the animals owners but its the law (and not a stupid law either, a necessary one) and it has to be obeyed or we'd be back in 1952 fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

seamus wrote:
    That's the black dude's problem tbh, no reason for us not to say "sambo". Get with the lingo, and all that.

How about, "I'd murder a cracker right now"? Would a white tourist from L.A. get offended?

Oh i'm not arguing about it. Just being all knowlegable loike. I'm a really good bloke to know if you want to hear tons of absolute useless ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Considering how hard the UK beef industry was hit during the Mad Cow crisis I was surprised how long this was allowed to go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sacrilicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sambo, sounds like a proper mad cow ;)

Advertisement