Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision time.

Options
  • 27-07-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Right, its time for a new c2d build, I already have the mobo and graphics card. And a tj-09 on the way :cool: What i will be needing now is a nice psu, a cpu and some ram.

I was thinking of either a E6750 or a Q6600. Both 1333fsb chips. And some OCZ SLI ram. But not 100% sure.

No idea on the psu, I need it to supply 2 6 pin for the 8800, and a 8pin for the mobo.

So basicially i would like some reccomendations, and links from you guys.

Btw, cpu and ram has to be overclockable. But i dont want to spend crazy money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

was also thinking of the OCZ SLI ram too. its dirt cheap and greta reviews, on a 1066 chip. Cant find any from a 1333. Im also leaning towards the new geil black dragon kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yea ive 4GB of the stuff! No problems at all with it games load alot quicker now expecially BF2 and STALKER

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It wont let me edit my posts..

That ram can overclock not much but I think it can go up like 100Mhz, I read a review im not sure.. One of the main reason I got the ram was so I wouldnt have to overclock it lol :)

PSU I reckon you go for the the OCZ one now 700 watt? Ive have it also and have had no problems with it!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

gah, cpu choice is now down to e6600 e6750 q6600 ane e6850... I just cant decide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Do you do a lot of video encoding?

I have the Q6600 and it love that puppy. If not though, the dual cores are the way to go. They'll overclock better with the same cooler. I've got my Q6600 at 3GHz, which is decent enough for a quad, but I'd be disappointed with that for a dual core.

What about 2 x 5150's? ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah i was thinking that, i do no video encoding at all really. So i might just go with the E6850 as they are soo cheap at the moment.

Still cant decide on which ram to get though. ddr 6400 or ddr 8500.... To many choices.

Didnt we have a plan with the 5150's :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Was only joking about them. :)

Personally, I'd go with the cheaper ram. From what I remember, dividing down doesn't really affect compute power that much.

Also need a psu too, And plan to buy this all tonight. Dont know which to get. So many out there these days. All i want is modular and no blue/green led's. And the sleeving must be black. And bale to reach from the bottom of a tj-09 to the board.

2 x Samsung SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM £53.99
    (£126.88)
    Xilence XPF120R Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan £5.99
    (£7.04)
    GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GB22GB6400C4DC) £74.99
    (£88.11)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB) - Retail £106.99
    (£125.71)
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Socket AM2/LGA775) Heatsink £39.99
    (£46.99)
    Total is £405 inc vat and delivery. Thats €600

I also still need a psu, so i think ill get athe seasonic m12 600W.

Any suggestions or changes lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

weeeeeeeeee wb anti :D

some people are having trouble with the thermalright extreme's (the base is apparently not flat), something to watch out for.

that psu should be grand for you :) whats happening to teh pink tubes, btw? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok.

go for a seasonic or crosiar as they seem to be on the Top aTm.
    Go for the OCZ as you are probly not going to break 500 fsb on the Mobo imo.
    go for a E6850 and hopeyou get a G0 stepping as they mena be the best overclcokers out atm.
    Btw the thermalright extreme's are fine some do not cool as well as other because ethir a concave on the heatsink or cpu.but some lappin wont hurt ya !:D

also why thos gay ass fans why not some yeat loons or sumting ?

Also I want my case :(

its simple, I have them already. And 68cfm for 22db. Thats alot of air, and almost inaudiable.

I dont see the point of gettin the 6850, as the 6750 is 70£ cheaper, and will clock the same.

The black dragon kit, is the same price as the ocz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote:
    its simple, I have them already. And 68cfm for 22db. Thats alot of air, and almost inaudiable.

I dont see the point of gettin the 6850, as the 6750 is 70£ cheaper, and will clock the same.

The black dragon kit, is the same price as the ocz too.
    Firstly, good to see you back. 68cfm with 22db is impossible, but if you're happy with the fans then it doesn't really matter, also from what I've seen the 6750 are not clocking nearly as well as the 6850's probably because Intel has begun to implement binning on Core 2's . Anyway I still have my E6600 if you want it, she'll do 3.6Ghz at 1.48v under load (DMM measured) stable for about 35hrs blend (stopped it then), and lots of on/off small ffts and OCCT stress test. And get some D9GMH for the ram, these are the actual IC's on the ram sticks, well known to be great overclockers. Something like Ballistix or G.Skill HZ/HK would be good.

How much woul dyou sell the e6600 for. Considering the massive price cuts recently!

About the fans, Here are 2 places that sell them. I have bought these before and they state speeds and cfm on the packaging. They move a hell of alot of air;

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Xilence-Case-Fan-120-mm-68-CFM-21-dBA-Red-Wing-XPF120.R__11196_en.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-000-XI&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

Anti wrote:
    How much woul dyou sell the e6600 for. Considering the massive price cuts recently!
    €115 with free postage.

deal !

Okay, it looks like the final build will be a E6600 lapped :), Ultra extreme 120, with a noctua fan. 2 x 500gb sata2 spinpoints, 2 x 36gb raptors. 2x1gb geil black dragon. Silverstone tj-07 with window. 720w hiper psu.

Any reccomendations to change anything? I was going to go with a seasonic psu, but they only make up to atx 2.0 and i need atx 2.2

Did you get the payment request, Anti? Change that noctua fan to something like a Scythe S-Flex or Zalman ZM3, the noctua isn't too bad in free air but because of the blade design it has low static pressure, and pressure is very important for a heatsink/rad. I wouldn't trust that PSU either, the Thermaltake 750W model (the newest one) is a great PSU, despite the TT badge. Any PCP+C is good, corsair HX620 would have plenty of power if you're not doing Sli, check out http://www.jonnyguru.com/ if you need PSU reviews, the man's a god of PSU reviewing.

Thanks for the advice, ill change the psu for the hx620. And ill add some s-flex fans. Thanks :)

*edit*

Got no payment request mate.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, ill change the psu for the hx620. And ill add some s-flex fans. Thanks :)

*edit*

Got no payment request mate.
    Are you sure? I sent it to Ryan_williams098 at yahoo.co.uk. Delete some of your PM's you're at the limit on stored messages.

Yep i see it know. I will try it wih laser see if it accepts that, if not it will have to wait till i get home to use the CC.

Anti wrote:
    Yep i see it know. I will try it wih laser see if it accepts that, if not it will have to wait till i get home to use the CC.
    Alright cool :).

Okay, dosent accept laser, and the missus had the other plastic. Will do it tonight mate :)

Advertisement