Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone spotted a Red Kite yet?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭

So, I was just wondering whether anyone her had spotted one of the red kites that were recently released 'somewhere in Wicklow'? I know they were wanting to keep the location secret, but they released a good number of them (30?), and I imagine that they'd spread out pretty far. I'm up in the mountains in Wicklow every weekend and haven't seen any yet, or would they tend to gravitate more towards the flatter areas of West Wicklow than the hills to the east? I remember seeing a good number of them when walking Offa's Dyke Path along the Welsh-English border and they were almost all in the flatter farming areas than in the more hilly regions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spar-hawk

I think that the red kites released were chicks. If th Golden Eagle project is anything to go by, they will be in specially designed feeding stations for the first couple of weeks.

I would not expect to see Kites for a while,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

You're more likely to find them in the farmlands for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes upland farmland is the place to look for them....
    This reintroduction programme will go on for five years, releasing a similar number of new chicks every year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

There were 30 of them released, you are most likely to see them in the lower farmlands alright. My boyfriend is the offical photographer for the project and his photos were the ones ye saw in the papers. He was the only photographer allowed to photograph the Kites and he worked alongside Eamon De Buitlear who did the video footage. He travelled to Wales and helped take the birds from the nests too. Check out his website for some shots of the Kites. www.johngriffinphotography.ie
    There's more to go up there once the papers and magazines have finished using them. They are such classy birds to watch in the air!!!:D Its great to have them back!

Advertisement